The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
DBLAction454

Glock 21 SF

Glock 21 SF

Comments? Issues? Problems? Praise? Opinions?

Thanks
Old March 9, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

Have one. Love it. Typical Glock reliability. Good shooter.
Old March 9, 2011, 10:52 PM   #3
ep2621

What Uncle Malice said.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old March 9, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Glock 21SF; older series yes new Gen04 format; NO!

I like the older ambi style 21SF but would avoid the new Gen04 RTF-02 types.
Glock has had a lot of problems & issues with the new lines and I wouldn't waste my $$$ on recalls or service issues.

CF
Old March 10, 2011, 12:38 AM   #5
glockcompact

Quote:
Glock has had a lot of problems & issues with the new lines and I wouldn't waste my $$$ on recalls or service issues.
The only "one" problem I'm aware of is the Gen4 Glock 19 with the original recoil spring with light loads. They have changed to the lighter recoil spring for lighter loads and I understand it's fixed. And I believe if you bought a weapon before the change to the new spring they will send you a new spring for free. Also the Glock 21 Gen4 isn't even out yet. It's not suppose to be out till sometime this month or April. So I'm curious what are all these other problems if you don't mind?

I would like to know as I'm very interested in a new Gen4 G20 when they arrive.
Thanks, Brit.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:01 AM   #6
chris in va

I've put about 1000 LRN through my police trade-in 21SF since buying it last summer (yes, I know). My GF uses it to good effect in IDPA.

Not one jam yet with my reloads. The gun just goes and goes. Absurdly easy to *detail* strip, takes all of a few minutes to completely tear down and reassemble. Controls are KISS...no decockers, safeties or other doodads to keep the trigger from getting pulled when it needs to be. Same pull every time. Low bore axis for quicker follow up shots. Plastic coated mags slip in and out like they're Teflon. Crazy amount of aftermarket support...holsters, sights etc. 30rd mag available now (if that's a plus).

Cons...odd grip angle, not a natural pointer, clunky ergos. Overly wide for the caliber compared to other brands. Make sure you get the non-ambi, non-pic railed version. Chamber not fully supported, although I haven't seen any brass bulging evidence...more of an issue with the higher pressure cartridges.

The pro's far outweigh the cons in my book. It replaced my irritating Sig 220 and haven't looked back. I'm sure there are better 45's out there, but this works fine for my needs.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:57 AM   #7
RT

Great gun. Buy with confidence. The 2mm reduction on the SF frame doesn't sound like much, but it does make a difference when shooting.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Icebergb

Have one and love it. Thinking of adding either a 19 or 23 to go along with big brother
Old March 10, 2011, 10:09 AM   #9
John Eastwood

You can google Glock 17 Gen 4 problems and a million things come up; namely FTF, FTE, and recoil spring. I'm stickin' to Gen 3's for the next 5 years.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:36 PM   #10
scott jeff

Have one. It has been completely reliable and malfunction free. Very accurate pistol. I love mine.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:44 PM   #11
deeHKman

I have a 21sf rtf2 really like it. Very reliable and accuracy was very good so its one of my favorite .45's with my HK's.
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Txpitdog

New to it, and I love it. I shot it side by side with a XD45 Tactical before deciding which one to buy. It was no contest. The 21SF is such an awesome platform, that I am currently working to get a 30SF for my primary carry weapon.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas
Old March 10, 2011, 05:42 PM   #13
voyager4520

The only issue with the G21SF is that the ones with ambidextrous magazine releases can have problems with the magazine release. It can start sticking and even come apart and fall out of the gun. Most people don't have problems with theirs, but it's a common enough issue to mention. They also have a picatinny rail which can make it a little more difficult to find holsters.

The other version has the regular magazine release and Glock universal rail, I haven't heard of a single issue with that version.
Old March 10, 2011, 07:38 PM   #14
454 Super Redhawk

Have one and love it. The only issue i had was that the finger grooves weren't spaced properly for me. So I justed sanded the finger grooves off. Feels alot better in my hand now.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:46 PM   #15
NESHOOTER

As others said it's a Glock, runs and runs... no problems...

Last edited by NESHOOTER; March 10, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correct wording
Old March 10, 2011, 09:56 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Glock Gen04 RTF-02 problems...

To answer the member's question, in these topics a forum member posted how the FHP(Florida Highway Patrol) had a recent problem with the new issued .45GAP duty pistols. Glock had a major recall of the service weapons.

Clyde
Old March 10, 2011, 11:57 PM   #17
45_Shooter

Quote:
The only issue with the G21SF is that the ones with ambidextrous magazine releases can have problems with the magazine release. It can start sticking and even come apart and fall out of the gun. Most people don't have problems with theirs, but it's a common enough issue to mention.
+1

I had the same issue with a G21SF Ambi - such a hokey setup I couldn't believe it was a Glock design. After it disassembled itself the first time, I promptly traded it for a standard G21 which ended up being a fantastic shooter.
Old March 11, 2011, 02:21 AM   #18
ragwd

I just never liked the feel of a glock till i tried the 21sf, its a great pistol. It is as reliable as the glock reputation but one thing that people dont talk about is the accuracy of the 21sf, I was really surprised at how well I shoot with the glock as opposed to my other pistols. I would buy another .