The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 4, 2011, 08:06 PM   #1
6shot

mini- 14 question

I put a scope on my mini-14 ranch rifle and it looks like to me that the ejected case will hit the bottom or will the case be ejected at enough of a angle to miss it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
perpster

Check out www.perfectunion.com for all things Mini-14.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Through the years I had four Minis on which I mounted a K4. I don't recall any scratches or dings on the scope from a case hitting it during ejection...
Old March 5, 2011, 11:07 PM   #4
NESHOOTER

Ditto ART, Although I've only have 1 of them with a scope my mini shoots the brass to 2 to 3 oclock and forward of my position with the muzzle being 12 oclock. and about 25-30 feet. LOL...
Old March 6, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
zombieslayer

Ruger includes scope rings with every mini. Its safe to scope it. If it has any problems, let them know and they'll fix em. Have fun, the mini is a great little rifle.
Old March 13, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Daggitt

Is it really a Ranch Rifle or is it only a mini 14? Originally the Ranch Rifle was an upgrade. The true original mini14 will discharge the empty shell into the bottom of the scope unless the scope is offset (Similar to the old Winchester 94's.) How old is your Ruger Mini 14? B-Square sold an offset scope mount but it ain't nothing to write home about. If the rifle came new with the rings it is a Ranch Rifle. I believe all the new ones are Ranch Rifles.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:59 AM   #7
joehorner

The original mini standard would use a spring loaded button on the face of the bolt which will send the spent casing more up and out. The ranch bolt has a relief cut in the side of the bolt then an arm on the bolt stop assembly will eject the spent round more to the side. You should be OK mounting a scope on your ranch. I have an older skinny barrel mini but it was upgraded to a ranch bolt and ranch bolt stop assembly by the factory on a warranty repair at no charge of course................Joe
Old March 15, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
rickyrick

Mine gets brass marks on the cocking arm, I guess its hitting the spent shells on the return stroke ....its of no real consequence though.
Old March 15, 2011, 12:00 PM   #9
joehorner

Another means of calming down the brass ejection is to get a set of reduced gas bushings and fine tune the amount of gas used to eject. In my setup I started using an .045 bushing. When I experimented with Wolf 62gr FMJ I had to increase the size to .050. Stock size is .080. Easy fix and fun to tinker with. Also adding a shock buffer at the end of the op rod spring next to the recreiver will stop metal to metal banging. Your scope will thank you for it......Joe