The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2011, 09:19 AM   #1
moneypit

Just bought a Sig P228, Getting started recommendations?

I just picked up my first handgun, a used Sig P228. It has Tru Glo Night Sights and the Sig short trigger pull and one 13 round mag. The original sights and trigger were included. Its date code shows a 1995 mfg and it has proof markings. I chose this over a new S&W MP based on several recomendations of friends and the gun shop.

First thing I did was read the manual, practiced the field strip a dozen times and then jumped online looking for websites like this one.

My first thought is to clean it and grease the rail. I've found a tutorial for the rail (Simple enough) but the internal lube guide looks a little more involved than I'm ready for at this time. What do you think? Is the internal lubrication easy enough for a novice?

Does just a simple cleaning and rail lube sound reasonable before going to the range?

Any other must do/must have suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by moneypit; February 27, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
AK103K

A good cleaning of the basic field stripped gun is all thats needed. Lightly lube the rails and you should be good to go.

I wouldnt get all worried about detail stripping and cleaning it. You could get a can of Gun Scrubber and blast the internals until they run clean and then re-oil if its really bugging you.

Top Gun Supply (www.topgunsupply.com) has pretty much anything you might need for your SIG. They are good people to deal with.

If youre really feeling the need to do something more than a field strip, they also have an armorers CD that is worth more than the $20 you pay for it. It will walk you through a total tear down and reassembly, and is handy to have.

Mostly all you really need are some spare mags and ammo.

You can also get reasonably priced mags at CDNN (www.cdnninvestments.com/). The used ones are fine too, but Id stick with SIG factory mags myself.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old February 26, 2011, 09:40 AM   #3
triumph666

Load...Aim...Pull Trigger...Enjoy!

As with all guns used or new i would remove firing pin and clean that area and clean the usual crud under extractor claw.....As for oil just rub in a light coating of oil from a patch on frame rails and whatnot and very light on firing pin and small internals
Old February 26, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
moneypit

Great, its good to hear I don't need to be to concerned with much right now.

I'll check out the links (especially for the spare magazines) and look into that CD.

Thank you
Old February 26, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
LockedBreech

The P228 is a great gun. Have a blast
Old February 26, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
IMightBeWrong

First bit of advice - Don't sell it like I did to mine. BIG mistake.

Second, SIGs actually like to run wet. Be pretty liberal with oil or grease on the barrel and slide rails. This is the common recommendation from SIG armorers and slide glide gun grease is often recommended for SIGs as well.
Old February 26, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
ttheel

a P228 is an awesome first handgun. You picked a good one. Many folks think it is the most balanced SIG ever produced. I bought mine new back in the mid to late 90's on the recommendation of several friends at the local Sheriffs department(at the time it was their issue weapon). I have been happy with it from day one.
Old February 26, 2011, 05:05 PM   #8
bravo124

Just give it a basic cleaning, then take it to the range and enjoy it.
Old February 26, 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

SIG P228 9x19mm products & services....

The P228 sounds like a good purchase.
As far as cleaning/protection, I'd get a few top rated products like Hoppes #9, Ballistol, Mpro7's new LPX, Weaponshield or maybe Eezox.
A Boresnake Viper will assist in barrel cleanings/oil. Check www.Brownells.com .
For best SIG pistol service, I'd get a factory re-condition. They inspect the used pistol, replace parts/springs and offer other features. Gunsmith Bruce Gray is a well known SIG Sauer pistolsmith, www.GrayGuns.com .
Other than a few magazines & maybe new 3 dot night sights you should be all set.

CF
Old February 27, 2011, 12:47 AM   #10
bsg1

first handgun is a Sig P228? great one to start with.
Old February 27, 2011, 06:16 AM   #11
proxpilot

I would also recommend posting pics of this beast before people start getting angry . we love gun pics around these parts.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
moneypit

Some quick pics

Here are some quick pictures.

There is some obvious wear on the finish of moving parts, I was told it's not excessive, nothing to worry about and that the slide is still tight (Felt tight to me but, what do I know?). There is one small burr on the rear of the slide close to the slide catch lever. It doesnt seem to contact anything and I think it could be easily stoned out.

Not really knowing how to judge the condition of a used handgun I went with the advice of a couple friends and the gunshop. It also looked pretty good to me and I am hoping that is the case.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:05 AM   #13
AK103K

Looks like its in good shape.

That mark on the barrel is referred to as a "smiley". It does tend to be an indication of use, and yours has been "used", but its not bad nor excessive.

This is one on one of my old P6's, which had a lot of rounds through it.

When you lube it, I'd get a little grease on any of those shiny spots on the slide and barrel, as they are showing you where the wear points are.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old February 27, 2011, 04:21 PM   #14
proxpilot

nice pics. i love w. German sigs
Old February 27, 2011, 04:41 PM   #15
IMightBeWrong

Aww man, I wish I could get a 228 in that condition! Mine was a military overrun 228 with picatinny light rail. The standard no rail SIGs are much prettier to me.
Old February 27, 2011, 07:27 PM   #16
hogwiley

Good choice for a first gun. My first semi auto handgun was a sig p228 as well. Later on I wanted a glock badly and didnt see the reason for having 2 compact 9mms, so I foolishly traded in my p228 for a glock 19. I've regretted it ever since.
Old March 11, 2011, 11:44 AM   #17
moneypit

Range Report

It has been a while and I finally made it to the range. My only other handgun experience was shooting in a sandpit 20+ years ago.

Here are some quick cell phone photos of my four targets shot at a distance of 25':

I was expecting alot more recoil, there was virtually none and the trigger pull seemed very light. Overall it was easy to use and a joy to shoot.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:47 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Mostly all you really need are some spare mags and ammo.
Great advice! You have a very nice pistol and you rarely have to go past a general field-strip to attend to proper cleaning and lubrication protocol.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:02 PM   #19
bearone2

good choice, i have one from '90/ka.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:25 PM   #20
NJgunowner

It's a sig, use decent grease on the rails and enjoy

Tags
p228 , sig