The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
dondavis3

I bought a new Ruger LC9

I carry a Ruger LCP when not wearing a gun on my hip.

Well this past week I bought the new LC9 (about 20% larger than the LCP and in 9mm).

I really like this gun. - IMHO Ruger has hit another home run.

I can and do carry it in my front jeans pocket (it fills the pocket full, but is comfortable , very comfortable in baggy cargo shorts).

I still use a DeSantis Nemesis Holster for it (only bigger).

It has good sights and I ran my 1st 100 rounds through it (all I've had time to put through it ) w/o a burp.

Better go look at one, you won't be sorry if you decide to buy one.

Last edited by dondavis3; March 1, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
pelo801

did you shoot that +P+ you have in the picture thru it?
Old March 1, 2011, 06:38 PM   #3
dondavis3

Naw - the box is just for the picture.

I believe it is ok to shoot +P.

But I don't feel I need to.

Big ol' hollow points work well for me.

Old March 1, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Do you do requests? I'd like to see the LCP in comparison to your LC9.

Congrats on the new gun. Glad to see that it's trouble free. Hopefully it wil avoid the recall syndrome that the recent new offerings from Ruger seem to have had.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
EdInk

You need to get to the range and give a proper report.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:09 PM   #6
ang4me

How're the sights? One of the only reasons I don't own an LCP is because I don't care for the sights on it.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:21 PM   #7
jmortimer

Good for you and I agree that Ruger is on a roll right now. Love everything they are doing.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

Congrats on the new pistol. Also, nice knife, I have the same one.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:35 PM   #9
JCP281

Id like to see a few pics with the widths, and lengths if you could. Im still on the fence about this guy.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Aristides

Loaded Chamber Indicator...?

I'm a little antsy about that loaded chamber indicator...would like to see more pictures of it when "loaded". Seems like it would be somewhat obtrusive. Yes? No?
Old March 1, 2011, 11:55 PM   #11
JCP281

Obstructive to what? Its going to be in a holster. I dont understand peoples gripe about the LCI. Its going to be covered up in a holster. Drawing the weapon will no be hindered by it one bit as its being dragged out.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:53 AM   #12
Mosin44az

Well it depends on how much the LCI sticks out. Does it snag going into the holster? Is it depressed by the holster?
Old March 2, 2011, 03:35 AM   #13
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Obstructive to what? Its going to be in a holster. I dont understand peoples gripe about the LCI. Its going to be covered up in a holster. Drawing the weapon will no be hindered by it one bit as its being dragged out.
Having owned a Ruger P345 with the exact same style of LCI, I for one can claim that I do not care for this style.

Aside from aesthetics, which I will ignore for the moment (a-hem ugly stick a-hem), practically speaking Ruger has a much simpler solution: the window/port on their LCP; and yes I do realize that this is only a visual indicator not a tactile one, but if I can't see into that port, it is probably too dark to be shooting or gun handling. (And really one should know if they have a loaded gun before going into any dark alley... sarcasm, I hope.) A quick press check works just fine too.

I personally dislike them so much that I no longer have any Rugers with the "pop-up" style LCI; including MKIII .22s.

The "pop-up" LCI does catch going into some styles of holsters. It did start "cutting" into a Galco Yaqui Slide holster that I was using with my P345.

YMMV
Old March 2, 2011, 07:48 AM   #14
kayakersteve

What's retail for these? Love to see the LCP side by side with this.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:01 AM   #15
JCP281

Quote:
Having owned a Ruger P345 with the exact same style of LCI, I for one can claim that I do not care for this style.

Aside from aesthetics, which I will ignore for the moment (a-hem ugly stick a-hem), practically speaking Ruger has a much simpler solution: the window/port on their LCP; and yes I do realize that this is only a visual indicator not a tactile one, but if I can't see into that port, it is probably too dark to be shooting or gun handling. (And really one should know if they have a loaded gun before going into any dark alley... sarcasm, I hope.) A quick press check works just fine too.

I personally dislike them so much that I no longer have any Rugers with the "pop-up" style LCI; including MKIII .22s.

The "pop-up" LCI does catch going into some styles of holsters. It did start "cutting" into a Galco Yaqui Slide holster that I was using with my P345.

YMMV
I just dont see the issue. An LCI will not hinder you in any way of drawing the gun..thats what matters in my book. If they bug the owner that much, take it off and mill it.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Redbeardsong

I like being able to check the loaded chamber indicator by touch on early mornings when I'm getting dressed in the dark so as not to wake my wife. I've found it marks the inside of my holster, but not any more than the front sight does already. And you can't see it in the sight picture. The LCI does get dirty, though from shooting.

Last edited by Redbeardsong; March 2, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
robrob

Those California style loaded chamber indicators are butt ugly. It's one of the reasons I ordered a Kahr CM-9 instead of the LC9. I have many Rugers and really like my .380 LCP, but I like the non-California guns so much better.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Will Beararms

This pistol looks good. With all due respect, I just cannot get into the .380 craze. I would not trust my life with one. It is pure opinion and not meant to start a flame war. I like the manual safety.

It would be this one or the Kahr CW40 if I went with a smaller platform.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:24 AM   #19
TxShooter474

LC9 is 9mm

Quote:
This pistol looks good. With all due respect, I just cannot get into the .380 craze.
The LC9 is 9mm, the LCP is a .380. I carry a LCP in my uniform pocket as a backup everyday. I really want to try a LC9 to see if the difference is small enough to still comfortablly carry it and conceal it as well as the LCP.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Will Beararms

I know what the LCP is. I believe the author mentioned he had an LCP also.

Were I a patrol officer or an officer, I can certainly see the merits of plan B pocket gun.

As a civie, my only choice or option is just to get the bad guy away from me or my family. Mine is not to terminate, kill or obliterate. "Your Honor, all I was trying to do with my legally licensed handgun was get the bad guy away from me as he clearly indicated he was going to kill me."
Old March 2, 2011, 10:17 AM   #21
LockedBreech

I like my LCP enough that one of these will most likely make to my collection at some point. The LCI does not bug me, nor does the manual safety. I grew up shooting the Beretta 96 model F and have a Beretta PX4 model F now. Taking off a manual safety for me is as natural as gripping the gun. It just happens without thinking about it.

Besides, how would the LCI snag if the sights are taller than it? Seems like a non-issue to me.

By the way, I know you do not shoot the +P+ ammo in the picture, but did you say it's +P rated? I know the LCP is explicitly NOT, so I'm curious.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:20 AM   #22
robrob

It seems that everyone that has compared the LC9 & LCP in hand are surprised how much larger the LC9 is.

The pic above of the LC9 does look good though. I assume it has the added complexity of a magazine removal safety along with the manual safety and LCI. I guess I'm just very anti-California and appreciate companies that don't bend to their whim.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Will Beararms

robrob:

Wait until the Feds start confiscating part of your pay check to bail California out of the financial crisis they brought on themselves in large part.
Old March 2, 2011, 10:47 AM   #24
dondavis3

I put a snap cap in the LC9 just so that you could see the loaded chamber indicator.

It is very small and in no way could snag / or mark or scratch anything.

Some people that have never held one or shot a LC9 have tried to make judgments that they don't know about.

IMHO

Old March 2, 2011, 12:17 PM   #25
Will Beararms

Every Ruger firearm I have ever owned has worked and been built like a tank. Those I used to own include:

P90 .45ACP
P97 .45ACP
Ruger #1 .30-O6

I own a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger 22/45 Pistol. Again, flawless, accurate and built very tough.

I know you did well on this purchase. For every $1 I have spent on a Ruger, I have always gotten $2 or more in value in return.