The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Rogervzv

1965 Ruger 22 auto

My Dad bought a Ruger 22 semi-automatic pistol in 1965 for possible use during the riots of that year. (No 10 day wait then!). I recently found it in his things, and have cleaned it up. Only been fired once or twice. Seems functional.

Anyone know if the Ruger Mark II or Mark III magazines will work in this ancient pistol? I think that it is either a Mark I or the "automatic" model that preceded the Mark I. In any case I would like to have an additional magazine for it if such is available. Anyone know whether the magazines are interchangeable with the later models?

Last edited by Rogervzv; February 24, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
jaughtman

No need....

to force MK II or III mags into it - there are plenty of MKI's around - I bought one a couple years ago and my LGS had them (new manufactor by Ruger) in stock. Just go by a well-stocked gun store and ask if they have them. If not, they surely can order them for you.

J
Old February 24, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Oneida Steve

The original Ruger .22 Automatic (aka Mark 1) used a 9-shot magazine. The later Mark 2 and Mark 3 has a 10-shot magazine. I'd look for an original magazine for your 1965 gun.
Old February 24, 2011, 10:30 AM   #4
mavracer

Mk1 mags are sstill avaliable and Mk2 mags will work you just have to take them apart and switch the button to the other side. Well maybe I just bought a couple Mk1 mags an there's a note included that says somthing like these mags may be assembled with the button on either side. It's real easy to do.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 24, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Rogervzv

Great info, thanks guys. I'll see what my local gun store has to say.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Peter M. Eick

I found modern mags do not work "well" in my 60's vintage MK1.

I suggest you try and buy used one sided cut out only MK1 mags. I bought 19 of them a while back and got 17 good ones. They all work perfectly.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Rogervzv

I ordered two Mark I magazines from Ruger which arrived last night. I switched the button, which I thought would be a pain but which actually turned out to be pretty easy. They seem to seat just fine in the pistol. We will see how my 46 year old Mark I performs with them this weekend at the range.

What a great company that still stocks parts for a 46 year old pistol!
Old March 8, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Smaug

Glad you were able to order them.

I was thinking you'd have no luck at the LGS, but that you would have to order through Midway or something.

If it is clean, I'm betting it will work fine, and you will have a new favorite plinker.

I hope your old man didn't have to shoot anyone.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Rifleman1776

Lucky you. I shot one for years competitively and it outperformed many of the high priced speciality target pistols. And it will outlast the Energizer Bunny's grandchildren.