The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 11, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1
jimjc

Ammo price hike

I was at one of the local gun shops today and they told me that in May the price of ammo is going to go up 20%. They were in the process of orderig a lot of ammo at todays prices. Has anyone heard the same. I guess I going to get busy and order some myself. Here we go again with these bullet prices what will be next.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
larryf1952

I'm glad that I just received my case of .45 185JHP's from Montana Gold and can roll my own...I'm pretty well stocked up now.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
rdmallory

Doubt it. I am seeing primer and ammo prices dropping on line.
WalMart has plenty on the shelves.

Doug
Old February 11, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Falcon642

Yeah I've only seen ammo prices go down. I can find 9mm for $9 a box, .380 for $12 a box, and .40 for $13 a box. Last year at this time 9mm was $15 a box and everything else was $20 a box.

Ammo producers ramped up production during the great ammo scare of 2009, now there is a glut of ammo out there.

Hell in early 2009 I couldn't find .22 ammo!
Old February 11, 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Billy Shears

I haven't heard any rumors to that effect, but it's not necessarily a far-fetched idea. Demand has been high since right before the 2008 election and world wide commodity prices have gone up quite a bit recently. The price of copper has risen nearly 50% over the past 12 months. At some point the end user is going to have to absorb that increase.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6
PzGren

The financial crisis is coming to an end in many countries and demand for rawmaterials is rising again - and prices with it. The weak US$ will eventually be reflected in all goods that are traded internationally and while component cost is just making up a small fraction of ammo cost, any rise in component cost will be carried over to the finished product and ensure additional profits.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Stumper

Yep, 2 local shops are warning of the same thing except they expect the increase in April. It is actually very logical. Metal prices are up, fuel prices are up. Despite some lying colostomy bags in Washington saying that there is no inflation there HAS TO BE since the money supply keeps being increased.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old February 12, 2011, 07:37 AM   #8
GUNKWAZY

The distrubutors for my shop have told me the price hike is coming.
It's not B.S.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Old February 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #9
nefprotector

My Wal Mart is just the opposite, ammo is dissappearing and NOT returning very quickly. Local shops are saying that they are having a hard time keeping ammo on the shelves and prices are already increasing. Iguess it's round two of the ammo shortage and ammo hoarding so stock up while you can. Dont believe me call the Local walmart Valley Alabama and ask for whichever popular cal that you like.
Old February 12, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10
oneounceload

Most gun related companies tend to raise prices in the March/April time frame. Remember too that gas prices have recently jumped, (at least in my area) over .15/gallon - means shipping costs will be going up. Many states are strapped for cash and are raising all sorts of fees, taxes, and other costs - it all gets passed along to you the consumer
Old February 12, 2011, 03:42 PM   #11
chris in va

I still fail to understand why high-volume shooters don't just get a simple reloading outfit and cut ties with the availability of ammo at a box store. It's really not difficult, and a reloading bench isn't even needed.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I still fail to understand why high-volume shooters don't just get a simple reloading outfit and cut ties with the availability of ammo at a box store. It's really not difficult, and a reloading bench isn't even needed.
Time, aptitude, space, and lack of interest are to name a few...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 12, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
540mope

Quote:
Time, aptitude, space, and lack of interest are to name a few...
to add to that...i remember people complaining about reloading supplies being scarce, and pricier at the same time ammo was in short supply. so no matter if you reload or not, the supply and demand gremlin will get ya.

btw...the local Wal Mart shelves are more stocked now than any time since 2008. they even have .357 Magnum available. shocking
Old February 12, 2011, 06:38 PM   #14
FiveForSure

Just bought Federal XM193 5.56 in the brown box, 20 for $7 at my gun shop. I live in MA so no Wal-Mart and online ordering is a pain, so all things considered I think it's fantastic.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:14 PM   #15
testuser

I'd have to drastically scale back my time at the range if it wasn't for my reloading bench!

I got back into reloading in 2009 specifically because of the ammo shortage. Primers were hard to find, but I was able to scrounge several thousand, as a result, I was out shooting as much as I wanted when others were hoarding.
Old February 12, 2011, 11:31 PM   #16
nefprotector

I reload and am hoarding evrything while prices are CHEAP!
Old February 13, 2011, 12:20 AM   #17
T B Good

On Thursday at one of the shops, the woman who does the ammo ordering told me about the same 20% increase before summer.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:21 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
to add to that...i remember people complaining about reloading supplies being scarce, and pricier at the same time ammo was in short supply. so no matter if you reload or not, the supply and demand gremlin will get ya.
You are correct. Even we reloaders had to deal with supply issues.

...But it's still cheaper, and a whole lot easier for us to keep enough components on hand for any chosen amount of ammunition, than it is for 99% of people to keep the same amount of factory ammo (let alone actually afford to buy said quantities of factory ammo).
Old February 13, 2011, 01:25 PM   #19
mikejonestkd

Supply issues affect reloaders in a similar fashion, but we have the flexibility to use our powder and primers as needed. Having 10K of pistol primers and several pounds of Bullseye gives you alot of options - plinking ammo for 9mm, or 38, or warm loads for .357, 40 or 45. Lots more flexibility....lots
Old February 13, 2011, 07:16 PM   #20
halo696

Seems this will be a hot topic this year but the truth is that it's definitely going up and not looking back anytime soon. I personally represent a fairly well known ammunition manufacturer. Not to get into boring details but all the lower prices you see are all a result of cash flow shortages for most smaller brands and distributors and the majority of that ammo is from standing in stock reserves or overstock.The majority are pushing out to gain cash to re up their distributor status for the year or gaining a place in line to lock in pricing for raw materials if a mfg. For some of you that think just because you see a decline in certain ammunition as an indicator of how things will be from here on I hope you aren't to disappointed mid this year. Not saying that ammo with be 100.00 a box for .9mm ball but if you are a price shopper, you might want to take advantage of the current situations. Basic economics, raw materials go up, the price of the products produced go up and the costs are passed to the end user in most all cases. Check out the link below. There are many reports like this but its just another small indicator. Believe it or not.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/fin...pensivein2011/
Old February 13, 2011, 08:44 PM   #21
Rufus T Firefly

Is the an Ammo Price Watch?

Like the local news people tracking gas prices? Would that be viable to do here where people could post what they paid into a database that could be viewed?
Old February 13, 2011, 08:50 PM   #22
Rufus T Firefly

I did find this link to gun-deals.com

I would probably use it for a guide. Is this of any interest to anyone? You select the caliber and vaarious prices come up with shipping.

http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php
Old February 14, 2011, 08:51 PM   #23
T B Good

Halo,
Your link is right on the mark.
I personally was caught off guard by the increases in my insurance cost.
My personal problem is that my family life on a fixed income.
So, when insurance, gas, food goes up I buy less of other things.
There are millions like me and eventually we are left behind.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:23 PM   #24
22-rimfire

A moderate price increase makes some sense, but a 20% price increase doesn't fit. But still, it may be time to stock up on some calibers that I don't have much supply just in case. I don't think prices on regular ammo is going to come down much except for the occasional sale.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:46 AM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
A moderate price increase makes some sense, but a 20% price increase doesn't fit
Lead prices fluctuate wildly at times, as does the dollar. Health insurance costs have already gone up 30% due to Obamacare - and it isn't even in force yet. Fuel costs have gone up .15/gallon in the last few weeks, utility costs have gone up, as have the taxes imposed on utilities by local governments. Taxes on property, etc. have gone up. With our trillion-dollar plus deficit, the value of the dollar has gone down.

We'll be lucky if it is ONLY 20% this year and not 20% twice this year