The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1
djans1397

Kahr P9 Vs PM9: Will 1/2" less in grip print that much less

I'm looking at the P9 vs PM9; black with night sights; I'll eventually also add the CT laser. I'm kinda at a toss up between the two and can't really decide which I'd rather get. I'm basically looking to have an alternative to my Wilson Combat CQB compact 1911 for EDC. I've shot the PM9 and really liked it and figured the P9 would shoot even better, have an extra round and likely conceal carry about the same.

I also own a Ruger LCP which is my; last resort I'm not going to the hood carry gun. The PM9 is damn near the same size as it, so I figured I might do better to get an "in between gun" and go with the P9. I imagine I will IWB carry and or Smart Carry holster the P9, but will a 1/2" more in grip length of the P9 print that much more? Can I wear T-shirts with it / "regular" gun carry non gaudy floral print shirts and still not print?

On all other issuses I love both guns and just don't want to duplicate what I already have in my EDC guns. So I guess I'm leaning towards the P9. Any advice from current owners of either would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old February 13, 2011, 08:30 PM   #2
proxpilot

no i doubt it. i just bought the CW9 it carries great.
Old February 13, 2011, 08:49 PM   #3
5Wire

I have a whacko theory about relatively stubby grips. I have fairly large hands and my little finger is almost always under the butt. So, I decided to take the Microsoft approach, "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" I keep my little finger closed tight and use it like shelf for the butt of the gun. With a firm grip, this helps resist and reduces torque causing muzzle flip. Just sayin'.

Of course, it doesn't give me any more rounds. Not that it makes a difference to me, I switch between a S&W 642 and a S&W BG38, both 5-shot revolvers.

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
Old February 13, 2011, 08:56 PM   #4
mete

I have a large size 9 hand and I find the P9 fine for holding on to. But the PM9 butt is too small for me, nothing to hold on to ! I don't think the extra 1/2" is a problem for carrying .
Old February 13, 2011, 09:32 PM   #5
rdmallory

The thickness of the two are about the same. I also went with the P9 for the longer sight radius and I could get a ported barrel from Kahr.

Doug
Old February 13, 2011, 10:06 PM   #6
chris in va

My Kahr K9 looks a lot smaller than it is. I call it my Little Big Gun. With that finger rest on the 7rd mag, all three fingers fit comfortably on the grip and the (frontstrap?) is quite wide making it even more ergonomic.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
hightower

I have both a p 40 and an mk9 not exactly what you are comparing but size wise virtually identical. The p40 is on the chopping block for a pm9 and my mk9 has recieved franchise status(untradable). The p40 would ride at 2oclock and was pretty concealable under my pre-Dunlap. Just wasn't as comfortable as my snubby though. The mk9's shorter grip makes it pocketable and the shorter barrel makes it dig into my thigh less when carried appendix and sitting. The slightly deceiving thing about the p series is the base plate on the mag added another fraction of an in. The frustrating thing I will mention is the small kahrs mags don't fit perfectly flush which occasionally hampers my pocket draw.

Good holsters make a huge difference, I could carry the mk9 better concealed than the p40 under a t shirt on the strong side but the bigger grip makes drawing smoother. It's a give and take. I'm voting pm it's more versatile.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

From my experience, yes it absolutely will.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:51 PM   #9
WVsig

Unless you are pocket carrying I think that they are very close. IMHO IWB you will not see a difference.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
orionengnr

I have an LCP, a PM9 and a PM45 (which is very close to the P9).

The LCP is the ultimate 'toy gun'. I can carry it any time, any place.

The PM9 is slightly larger, slightly heavier. It is The Ultimate Pocket Pistol (IMHO). A real 9mm in an unreal sized package.

The PM45/P9 can be a pocket pistol in a pinch, but is a better IWB. It's amazing what 1/2 inch will do.
Old February 13, 2011, 11:27 PM   #11
5Wire

Here's a size comparison between a Kahr PM9 and a S&W 642, FWIW.

Last edited by 5Wire; February 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Fix pic
Old February 13, 2011, 11:39 PM   #12
JCP281

Uh oh, Los has some competition. Nice graphic!
Old February 13, 2011, 11:49 PM   #13
5Wire

I just saw Los's graphic on the BG38 v LCR. Nice job.

Old February 13, 2011, 11:54 PM   #14
djans1397

WOW! Thanks for all the responses so far guys! I just posted this a little bit ago! You all make very good points about the two guns.

I forgot to mention; I also have small hands which obviously makes it easier to carry a smaller framed gun. I've also owned an MK40 years ago and it carried really well in a Thunder wear rig, although the 40 cal was quite snappy if I recall.

I guess I'm still leaning towards the P9. If I didn't already own the LCP, I'd prob choose the PM9 as one can always use the extended round mag. If I'm correct though, I think I can get an extended 8rnd mag for the P9 for even more rnds. I'm also looking at either as a replacement to my Wilson Combat when I fly to Ga to see my folks periodically. Although they're insured via my homeowners insurance, I could swallow "loosing" my P9 vs my beloved WC CQB. Also the P9 IMO would make a nice all around carry piece for both summer and winter dress, esp in Ga.

Keep the input coming guys and thanks again!
Old February 14, 2011, 12:05 AM   #15
los

@ 5Wire

Handgun comparisons illustrated with opacification, rule hard!

VERY NICE, Indeed..!
Old February 14, 2011, 12:15 AM   #16
5Wire

Thanks, los. Yours ,too. I'm using InDesign 5.0 in Adobe CS3 which is extremely accurate. The hard part is finding good JPGs and specs for direct comparison, as I'm sure you know.

Old February 14, 2011, 12:26 AM   #17
los

THANKS, 5Wire.

Adobe CS3 has amazing editing tools and it definitely shows in your outstanding work product..!

I'm useing simple microsoft Paint that comes pre-installed in virtually every PC/Laptop under the sun

Lots of copy and paste work. Affirmative on locating decent images to reduce/enlarge. It's a royal gludius-maximus induced discomfort..!! ..
Old February 14, 2011, 12:29 AM   #18
JCP281

I have Autocad2000 and Cs5.. iv played around with some scaling since seeing your graphics Los... maybe ill pic a category one day and tackle it.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:39 AM   #19
los

Man, I really need to crawl out of my cave and head to the local electronics store to update my editing software. Might as well,.. I need a few more Beta tapes for my VCR.

Hey, anyone know where I can find a few tubes for my console color television..? heehee..
Old February 14, 2011, 12:44 AM   #20
JCP281

Whatever you use works for you, thats the important thing! I wish my engineering firm would buy us the latest version of autocad the 2011 version owns. haha
Old February 14, 2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Shadi Khalil

I think as far as IWB carry goes you will see a difference, at least I did. With IWB carry, the grip is your biggest enemy or friend, depending on what you carry. With my CW9 (recently sold) I found the grip printed just as much as my P239 when carried IWB. It's very lite weight and easy to carry but the printing of the grip really was too much. Great little gun for carry and shooting, just didn't work for me.