The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
zig mag roller

.40 S&W with berry's bullets load data?

Hey all, I'm looking for some load data for 40 s&w with Berry's 165 grain flat points. As far as powder I have: Clays, Unique, Accurate #7, and some IMR 4227. I really don't want to buy another powder if I don't have to, I was hoping some of you may have a recipe for this combo. I will be shooting these from a Glock 35 (.40 in a 5" barrel). Any input is always appreciated. Thanks - Mike
Old February 12, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
fourrobert13

Check the websites for Alliant and Hodgdon. They will have jacketed data list, but back the start load off 10% and work up from there.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
larry60

I have only been reloading for my CZ75b in 40 S&W for A month so there are lots I don't know. But my experience is fresh and my be help full. I started off with Berry's bullets and they worked fine for me. The problem I had with plated bullets is just what your trying to solve now. The loading data is scarce for plated bullets there is data for lead cast and jacketed and very little for plated. Most will give you the same advise start out with A 10% reduction from jacketed data and work up. My problem is I live in A metro area so I have to drive for over an hour to shoot for free or pay a $15.00 range fee. That makes it impractical to work up loads I need loads that are going to be good from the first. I don't have any loads for any of the powders you posted otherwise I would share with you. My solution turned out to be finding jacketed bullets as cheap as plated if you buy a 1000 at a time. Montana Gold are $138.00 per 1000 with delivery for the 155gr JHP that I am loading now. Roze Dist. which is the retail outlet for Zero bullets has 165gr TMJ for $117.00 with free delivery. You have to read Roze's catalog carefully and pick bullets they show as available to get them in A week if its not available you could wait A month or more. You can find smaller quantities of jacketed bullets on Gunbroker.com as cheap as plated but you really need to be care full of the shipping charges. I don't have anything against plated but they may not be any cheaper than jacketed.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
testuser

I shoot Montana Gold in 9mm, because I use so much of it. But, sometimes, I can't swing a $300 order and often $50 of Berry's will be the same price or slightly cheaper than the bulk jacket price and qualifies for free shipping.

Accurate Arms has load data for plated bullets from Rainier ballistics on their website. Go there and download it for free. AA#7 does a good job in .40 S&W.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

Unfortunately, they only list plated bullet data for a 155 grain bullet, which means, it's probably a good idea to e-mail Accurate and see what they think.

Most of my loads for Berry's Bullets are about 92 to 93% of jacketed data. I reduced maximum charges for FMJ bullets by 5% and that becomes my new maximum per their guidelines on their website not to exceed mid-range FMJ loads. Otherwise, I'll work up a load using lead data.

Example: Alliant calls for a maximum for 10.2 grains of Blue Dot for a 158 grain HP. My new max is 5% under theirs so, 9.7 grains. I load to 9.4 grains. Velocity from my 4 inch barrel Model 66 averages 1130 fps.