The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Would you have bought a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Glock 20?
Gen 3 2 18.18%
Gen 4 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
FrontSight

Next Glock G 20 Purchase: Generation 3 or 4?

I put a deposit down on a Generation 3 G 20 the other day, mostly because that's what my dealer had in stock (I didn't even know that Gen 4 G 20s are not available yet), and plus I wanted to go with a proven model because where I live it's a huge process everytime you want an additional handgun, so I'd rather just get it correct from the start & not take any chances.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that the Gen 4 is NOT reliable. I'm just saying that the Gen 3 IS reliable (as much as any mechanical object can be, anyway).

I also didn't know at the time that the Gen 3 and Gen 4 frames are different & the slides are not interchangeable (see my other thread where I asked about that), and that some conversions & accessories aren't even available yet for the Gen 4...

I think I made the right choice for me, but I can still change my mind and ask my dealer to apply the deposit toward a Gen 4 instead, no problem, so I'm wondering what you guys think...

Would you have bought the gen 3, or would you have waited for the gen 4 instead, and please let me know why you would choose one over the other?

Oh, and where I live it will take 3 - 4 months before I can take it home with me (I hate our gun laws), so the Gen 4 will probably be out by that time, so the "not worth having to wait for the new model" aspect isn't really applicable in this case at all.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
glockcompact

Let me say it this way. You didn't make a bad decision IMHO - If, your ok with the size of the grip and, your ok with the magazine release. I'm curious if the new gen4 dual recoil spring will help with felt recoil in the 10mm's. I would wait for a gen4 because of my previous statements. But I don't have large hands either. If you like the way the gen3 feels. Then your good to go. It will be and outstanding firearm. I had to vote gen 4 becuase you asked me whats best for me.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:01 PM   #3
free2game

Well if you want that short frame, you can get the SF model Gen 3 already. Also the problems with the Gen 4 are the recoil springs being too stiff for lighter practice 9mm ammo. That's not exactly something that applies to 10mm guns.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4
FrontSight

Thanks for that analysis!

I don't have big paws, but for some reason large grips fit ok in them...for example, I have a beretta 92fs with a rubber pachmyer slip-on added and it still fits me great, while a lot of people complain about the standard grip size alone, nevermind the additional slip-on...

So I'm with that part...