The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
swr42

Ruger LC9 v. Ruger LCP

I am new to this particular forum, and would like some feedback on my next gun decision. I currently own and carry, when necessary (not often at all), a Glock 33, the subcompact .357 sig model. I am an average sized male, and I still have a hard time truly concealing the Glock. While perusing my next purchase I became interested in the Ruger LCP. I mainly like the gun due to its size, the fact I can pocket carry it when needed, and the price. However, with Ruger releasing the LC9, here soon or just recently, I would like some feedback on what the forum believes would be a better choice. Ruger claims the LC9 is less than an inch larger in length and height. Do you all consider that marginal size difference would hinder the pistols ability to be pocket carried without being noticeable? I guess the other arguments come down to the 9mm vs. .380 and the recoil in a small frame pistol argument.

For the owners of the LCP, what are your thoughts on the pistol? Propensity to jam? Modifiability? Pros? Cons?

Thanks
Old February 11, 2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Rembart

SWR,

I went through a long process when choosing my new carry gun. I have been a committed revolver guy mainly carrying a 642. But, recognizing that sometimes I don't dress to cover the printing of this gun I found myself not carrying very often. I decided I wanted to have a gun that balanced everything but was small enough to carry always. I owned a P3at for a while which was a very reliable gun but I felt that it wouldn't hold up to shooting a lot nor was it a gun that I enjoyed shooting. The LCP is much nicer finished but still has an extremely long trigger pull. Maybe this is not a big deal. I really like the LCP and would like to have one myself. I think they are a great gun for the money and now they have a reputation for reliability and certainly "carryablility". I think a person with a crimson trace laser equipped LCP would be in great shape. I may have to have one myself later. Some of the most respected gun guys around actually carry the LCP as primary or back-up.

BTW, I bought the SIG238 for my EDC and love it. It is a small gun that you can enjoy shooting and feels that it will hold up for a lifetime with normal maintenance. I paid slightly more but I tend to keep my guns and shoot them a lot. I am very satisfied with this choice. It is super accurate and mine has been very reliable through break-in.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
los

Old February 11, 2011, 01:20 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

There's more difference in size than you might think. The LC9 is nearly identical in size, weight and thickness to the Kahr CW9 or the Walther PPS. If you've handled either of those you'll know that it's NOT REALLY in the same size category at all as the LCP .380. Yeah, its called the LC9 and it has similar design lines as the LCP but it's considerably bigger. The Kahr PM9 still seems to be the "holy grail" of pocket 9's but you do have to pay for it. Word is that Kahr has a less costly "C" version of the PM9 in development for release sometime this year. Here's a link to a discussion about that (with a pic of the CM9 on post #23):

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=4416714

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; February 11, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Mosin44az

Thanks again for your work, los.

LC9 MUCH bigger. Can everyone agree Ruger ripped off the Kel-tec P11 on this one? Looks about the same size and shape.
Old February 11, 2011, 05:55 AM   #6
swr42

Thanks for the information

Los, thanks for that diagram, I guess I was really mislead by "less than an inch," and at times you really need to see the actual gun, or any object for that matter, or diagram to fully recognize the size it actually is.

Rembart, if the LCP truly has gained a reputation for reliability and "carryablility" I believe I will pick up the LCP, mainly due to price. I am a current law school student, and cannot justify spending the additional funds on a sig or pm9, if I did I probably would purchase a Kimber Ultra Carry. I have been trying to justify that purchase for several years now.

Like I mentioned previously I would like to be able to completely conceal the pistol, especially in the summer, I live in a hot/humid climate state, but if in the long run I decide the gun was a poor choice I would be tempted to keep it and leave in my vehicle (glovebox or console). This leeds me to another question, sorry kind of straying off topic, but what are your alls opinions about leaving a pistol in your automobile? Safe? Are you worried about random break-ins resulting in the theft of your pistol. I guess I am just worried about the ramifications about the pistol later being used in a crime. I have not researched the matter, but does a simple call to the proper authorities alleviate any real issues that may later arise or has anyone heard of any obstacles one has faced in such a situation.? (Dumb question, especially for a law school student)

However, I will continue to search the forum and internet concerning the reliability of the pistol just to make sure I am not jumping into a purchase I will regret.

Thanks, I appreciate the information and any opinions.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:19 PM   #7
thinktwice

I have an LCP, and have not had any malfunctions or problems with it. To me it's a great little pocket gun if you like the 380. However I must admit I feel a little under gunned carrying just a 380,and as a result don't carry it much anymore. I think with Ruger and Kimber coming out with the LC9/Solo and other manufactures soon to follow, the 380 craze is surely going to die down some.I would wait for the LC9. I am sure some others will disagree, so this is just my thoughts.
Old February 11, 2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Stealth01

I've been waiting to see and handle an LC9 to compare it to my LCP. But, honestly I prefer the LCP over my Sig P238 Equinox based solely on weight (as a pocket pistol)! You're not even aware that the LCP is in your pocket and, based on weight, you will certainly know the LC9 is there!! Load the LCP up with Hornady Critical Defense with a Galco Pocket Holster and go enjoy yourself!!
Old February 12, 2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Mosin44az

As to leaving it in the car, many frown on this, but it's inevitable for those of us who have to work in, or go to school in, buildings that forbid carrying.

There are steel gun boxes that can be attached to your vehicle, either to the underside of the driver's seat or in the trunk, or elsewhere out of sight, that would add substantially to the safety of leaving your gun in the car. I have a simple one that uses a cable, and I will use the box when I'm gone for a long time, but just use the glove compartment when I'm in my covered, semisecure parking at work. Not expensive, 35 bucks or less. If your car has a burglar alarm, this would also help a lot, as thieves would tend to steer clear of such.

I haven't read of liability for theft from a vehicle. I would report it promptly. You could go to jail in some European countries for not securing your gun.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:23 AM   #10
CDW4ME

The 380 Ruger LCP is a true pocket pistol.
The LC9 looks more appropriate for IWB appendix carry or Smartcarry for me.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:38 PM   #11
insolentshrew

You mention its hard for you to conceal your glock?

I am 5'9" and 140lbs and can conceal a full size without problem. If you are having trouble concealing but like your glock, you may want to look into some alternative carry methods. I am not saying an lcp or lc9 wouldn't be good for pocket carry as well, but if the sole reason you are looking at pocket carry is because you think you cant hide the glock - I would look at a different carry method first. Open carry is legal where I am at, so I am usually not too terribly concerned with an over garment at times. I have concealed with fairly small/form fitting t-shirts as well (not skin hugging tight, but snug). The only problem I worry about is the shirt tail not being too long and riding up over the grip of my gun, if 100% conceal ability was my concern all I would have to do is wear a slightly larger shirt and I never have to worry about this problem.

I too plan on getting something for pocket carry, but am just waiting on some of the new pocket rockets to get out/get tested by people before making my choice. I had hopes that the lc9 would be smaller than it was, so I am waiting to see if the sig 290 can perform. If not I may have to settle for a 380 and get an lcp. Only reason I want something for pocket carry is for when I just need to run out real quick and don't feel like strapping on my holster just to get a soda from the gas station, etc.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:31 PM   #12
robrob

I recently picked up an LCP and I'm very impressed with its fit and finish. I got one of those square pocket holsters and it's very easy to pocket carry with absolutely no printing. For times when anything bigger isn't appropriate the LCP is perfect and the price is right. I do like the LC9 and may pick one up in the future--after any new-gun bugs are worked out.