The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 7, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Durty

DPMS Bull 20

Looking for an AR for target shooting out to 700 yards. Does anyone have experience with the DPMS Bull 20? It's got a stainless bull barrel and seems like it would be decent for target shooting. This is not to be a self-defense weapon. This is not to be a competition gun either. Thanks
Old February 7, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
10mmAuto

DPMS by all accounts makes pretty accurate guns. QC the bore and crown before you walk out the store with it, their QC isn't that great.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:48 PM   #3
crockett007

I've got the DPMS low pro classic, slickside upper. 20" barrel. I dropped in a Timney trigger, ergo grip, free float forend, quad gas block and a harris bipod. Scope pictured is a Nikon, just recently upgraded to a 4X14X50 WoTac.

Easy 1MOA with 55gr 5.56 surplus. The 1-9 twist really loves 62gr AMAX @ 500yds. This rifle has put many Coyote and Hogs to sleep. About 5K round count so far..no issues.

Will not run Wolf steel case polymer or laquer but loves Silver Bear zinc coated steel 62 gr. SP

Barrel is not stainless, but it is a great rifle and an absolute accurate shooter.

You will not regret buying a DPMS IMO

Old February 7, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Rembrandt

No 20", but I do have a Panther Bull 24 Special......stainless fluted barrel, incredibly accurate.

Old February 7, 2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Beentown71

There is a LoPro here for sale...good price.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439644

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old February 7, 2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Dave R

I use a DPMS Bull 20 as a varmit rifle. It is as accurate as any rifle I have ever shot. Sub-MOA with my handloads.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Durty

DPMS Bad Reviews

Thanks for the feedback. I have read a lot of negative reviews on forums (especially The High Road) about DPMS. They act as if there is little good about them. I have wondered if their perspectives come from actual experience or simply because they do not have one themselves. Personally, I do not mind an AR with an occasional jam every few hundred rounds. I will be reloading my own so I will eventually find something my gun likes anyway. But as I stated, this gun is not meant for serious business- no life saving circumstances and no competition. Simply something to shoot pie plates out to 700 yards with. I can see myself shooting critters at 300 or so but if it can shoot an inch at 100, I'm good there. Do those bad reviews come from DPMS arms not being Mil Spec? Do they come because they truly don't believe they are up to the task of serious business? Is spending another $400-$500 really worth it? I know I can get a lower grade Colt or Spikes Tactical for about the same price as the Panther Bull 20. But I do not want a rifle for close combat... I don't want a rifle for combat at all. I want an AR that will reliably feed premium ammo and deliver it to a pie-plate sized target 700 yards away. In theory, if your DPMS rifles deliver 1 MOA accuracy, yours can do exactly what I would like mine to do and more. So, fellas, help me understand where the negativity toward DPMS comes from. Thanks
Old February 7, 2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Durty

DPMS Bad Reviews

By the way, thanks for sending those pics. Those are impressive rifles. Anyone else have good pics?
Old February 7, 2011, 11:47 PM   #9
ArkansasGunFan

Damn Durty,

I was really hoping to see a good argument, looks like you must have pretty well said it all!
Old February 8, 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasGunFan
I was really hoping to see a good argument
Me too! The Kool-Aid gang must be out of Kool-Aid.

Durty, the DPMS Bull 20 should do moa easily, even better with reasonably good optics and a hand load tuned to the barrel.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11
nathaniel

I have a DPMS, nice rifles. Alot of people diss them because they arent high on "the list" which is stupid in the first place. You wont be dissapointed.

Quote:
Will not run Wolf steel case polymer or laquer but loves Silver Bear zinc coated steel 62 gr. SP
I called DPMS and they told me to not run foreign ammo through my gun because it will void the warranty. Same goes for reloaded ammo.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:54 PM   #12
srkavanagh6621

I have a DPMS Mark 12 for sale but its not because its not a shooter. You can basically make one raged hole at 100 yrds, most accurate AR I have ever owned or handled hands down. I think some people don't like the DPMS due to the fact they don't claim they are Mil Spec. Who cares for pretty much any civilian use they will shoot thousands and thousands of round with no failure and do a damn good job at it. They are very accurate rifles, my cousin owns the 16'' bull and that also shoots very good. The Mark 12 has the 18" and its about the perfect compromise between weight and accuracy. P.S. If your interested in a Like new Mark 12 let me know I got a pretty good setup or will sell the rifle alone. Best wishes to ya!
Old February 10, 2011, 05:27 AM   #13
PIGMAN

I have a DPMS .308 and it works just fine.If you want long range accuracy out of these rifles you will need to replace the trigger with an aftermarket such as a JP Enterprises or a Timmney since the triggers in these rifles are lousy.I agree that all this Mill-Spec stuff is basically bulloney since these rifles are not going to be fired in full auto mode and we are not in a war. Also figure the milling is done by computer so tollerances are going to be tight and the cost between the worst and best materials used to manufacture rifle parts is only a few dollars so why use lousy metals since no big savings are made in material cost. Also the DPMS grips stink and should be replaced with a set of aftermarkets such as Houges.