The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 5, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
jmstr

Can the trigger pull of a Browning BLR be improved?

I'm looking at a Browning BLR .308 and like everything so far. Of course I haven'
t fired it since it on consignment at my LGS.

I've read about people being less than impressed with the trigger pull. I don't remember specific points though: too long? gritty? rough? rolling break? too much force needed?

I don't want a 2 pound trigger. However, it would be nice for it to be no heavier than 5 pounds, and preferrably in the 3.5-4 lb range.

MOST importantly though would be that it be smooth with a crisp break.

For those who have fired the BLR, how would you describe the trigger pull?

At the LGS it felt 'ok' to me, but I didn't have the time to really think and analyze. Also, I don't like to dry-fire firearms more than once or twice without a snap-cap in place. They didn't have any .308 snap caps to use.

Is there anything that can be done to smoothen it out? I have read it is a bear to work on yourself-can it even be smoothened out?

Thanks!
Old February 5, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
A good Smith can make it tolerable , but don't get your hopes too high , it'll never be target grade .
Old February 5, 2011, 08:15 PM   #3
jgcoastie

That's kind of a misleading statement oneoldsap...

The OP isn't asking for a target trigger job, just a good hunting trigger.

I haven't had an issue with the trigger on my BARs or my BLR. It's not as crisp/clean/light as the trigger on my Kimber 84M Select, but it is a perfectly fine tirgger out of the box for me.

However, if you are not impressed, your LGS should be able to point you towards a good gunsmith that can clean up any issues with the tirgger. They're good rifles and if it's a good deal, then I wouldn't pass it up for something that can be easily and relatively cheaply fixed.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
You don't need a snap cap for a BLR trigger test just catch the hammer with your offhand thumb.

If I thought gunsmiths that can fix a BLR trigger were easy to find I'd probably own the lightweight takedown in .325WSM.

My wife's BLR has about an 1/8" of freeplay, then another fat 1/16 of creep before you get to the heavy (6 lb ish) mushy release, followed by another small 1/8 of over travel. In short a textbook lousy trigger. That is fine for some but I can't abide it.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
cmdc

www.neiljones.com This guy does trigger jobs on BLRs. I have one in 7mm-08, and like you, didn't like the trigger. I had the gunsmith at the shop where I got the rifle work on it, but he didn't help it much. I am going to send my rifle to this guy and have him take care of it. Apparently they are tricky to work on.