The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 28, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Anaconda1492

SKS rifle and Muzzle brake/compensator question

I own a Yugo SKS 59/66 I have installed a Choate SKS recoil compensator IE this one.

http://www.combatstocks.com/SKS_Recoil_Compensator_by_Choate.cfm

Any ways I first installed the muzzle brake uncentered in other words the bullet would of come out closer to the top part of the crown of the muzzle brake then it would to the bottom. I later installed it so as to make it come out dead center which I assume is correct... It was so hard to center using the standard method however on my Yugo that I had to buy some high heat resistant "liquid weld" to put it on. Which worked anyways was it supposed to be not centered for some odd reason??? I did notice that it has three top slots and not one on the bottom but that is obviously to reduce muzzle climb...

Last edited by Anaconda1492; January 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old January 28, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Incognito

I think what you did will be alright, it should be centered, imo. As to any muzzle rise compensating benefits, you may or may not see any, although it does appear that it would direct gases upwards and sideways. That looks more like a flash hider to me, but either way, the SKS doesn't have much kick to it hence you may not notice the benefit. If you've got it centered, just leave it be. So long as you like it, that all that matters

Welcome to TFL
Old January 28, 2011, 06:42 PM   #3
doofus47

Quote:
I did notice that it has three top slots and not one on the bottom but that is obviously to reduce muzzle climb...
It also keeps you from kicking dust up, if you're firing prone.

welcome to the forum
Old January 28, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Desertfox01

it will help some on climb. it is more for looks in my opinion....and more for muzzle flash then a true muzzle break.....and muzzle devices are ment to be centered.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Anaconda1492

Thanks yea another purpose it served for me as well was to get it back to as close as I could to when it had a grenade launcher attached during the Yugo Wars military surplus weapons work best in the original configuration usually(exception being the parts being old and worn out).Ive also put a TAPCO magazine 10 rounds tapco gas tube,rods and the murray's over sized gas valve it is working good but not perfect I get stove pipe occasionally but I can go through a hundred rounds or so with no problems... I polished the chamber and my rounds don't get stuck in there any more like they used to which is absolutely hedious. I should be 922r compliant stock is also made in USA. If you have a old surplus weapon use some light grit sand paper to polish your chamber it helps a lot especially if you have like a Mosin that fails to extract(sticky bolt etc.). The newer more precise gun guys or guys with highly valued guns better off going to a smith.

Last edited by Anaconda1492; January 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old January 30, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
plateshooter

I used to shoot in steel plate matches with my Russian SKS years ago. The compensator/brake helps to keep the muzzle down so you can see where your shots are hitting, and it really makes a big difference in that game. I put mine on with liquid weld as well because if the brake loosens up even a tiny little bit your accuracy will be all over the place. My brake has been on my rifle since the mid 70s, and has had many many rounds through it. It is still tight and accurate as it ever was. I am taking it hog hunting in TN in March, and I am sure it will do the job for me.

Old January 30, 2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Crazy Carl

Plateshooter- where'd you get that lam stock at?
Old January 31, 2011, 04:55 AM   #8
plateshooter

Crazy Carl, Fajen used to make those stocks years ago before they were bought out. I haven't seen them around for a long time, but someone else may now be offering something like it.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Crazy Carl

Hmmm. I really like the looks of that. My Norinco is very accurate & I was toying with the idea of a nice lam stock & a set of TechSights. Would be a pretty handy brush/woods deer gun for around here.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
nefprotector

TAPCO is making NEW Laminated wood stocks.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:11 AM   #11
plateshooter

I just checked out the new Tapco SKS laminated stocks on a shot show video. They look really nice.
Old February 3, 2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Anaconda1492

plateshooter how did you mount your break and how did you center I only centered mine by eye. I guess that is good enough.. I used my cleaning rod as a point of reference to represent the bullet coming out.

Last edited by Anaconda1492; February 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old February 4, 2011, 05:06 AM   #13
plateshooter

Anaconda, mine was pretty much self centering. It is the type that twists around the front sight and locks in with set screws. It has been awhile, but I think I used Devcon epoxy. De-greased everything, coated the barrel and compensator, installed and tightened the screws. I have put cases of ammo through it over the years and it has never loosened.