The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1
danber9546

SW40/SW9VE

I'm thinking of buying one, just trying to get people's opinions I order it. Thinkin' I'll go for the 9mm, considering most of my ammo is in that caliber. How are they in function, reliably, etc.?
Old February 1, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Leejack

Simple to operate, ergos off the chart, never a failure of any kind on mine.

Oh, BTW, it isn't difficult to shoot either.

Fasten your seat belt, here they come!
Old February 1, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Ridge_Runner_5

Comfortable to shoot, eats anything, but the trigger is just god awful

I sold mine

Old February 1, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
X_shooter

Good cheap reliable guns and yes I actually own one. I don't listen to anecdotal heresay from people that have never touched one yet still insist they suck. Make sure you get the 9VE and not an old version that was problematic. You can pick them up fairly cheap and have seen them as low as $299. They are $325-350 in my area. I would get a newer used model if I had it to do over again. You can find them closer to $200 even though some a-holes try to sell them for new prices.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:14 PM   #5
abber

I have a .40 cal. Good gun. Not the best trigger, but it really makes you concentrate. I think it has helped me become a better shooter. It does not compare to my higher end stuff, but neither did the price.
Old February 2, 2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

The Sigmas are great, my .40VE is comefortable, accurate (2inches at 20 yards using 135gr HST, it's very ammo sensitive), reliable (0 jams), and durable. I really want to pick up an F model, but I know I'm going to have issues with it.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:31 AM   #7
kraigwy

I bought a 40VE from a Tradio Add (radio want adds) simply because I didn't have a 40 cal.

I didn't really like the idea of "double action" only but what the heck, I bought it anyway.

It had a long winded, stiff, trigger, but I'm a revolver shooter anyway so that didn't bother me. Tons of dry firing smoothed out the trigger, still long and heavy but smooth.

I found it fairly accurate and extremely reliable. I pocket carry a 642 but if I was inclined conceal carry and semi auto I wouldn't hesitate to carry the Sigma.

The only thing I don't like about it, is when shooting you need about three grandkids chasing brass cause that sucker will scatter brass forever.

I think most people who condemn the Sigma just wont take the time to get to know them. Like a double action reviler, lots of dry firing will strengthen up your trigger finger where one can handle the gun accurately.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 2, 2011, 09:00 AM   #8
YARDDOG(1)

Another great value for the$$
Y/D
Old February 2, 2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Leejack

And we owe it all to the sigma bashers for keeping the price where it is!

Keep up the good work! LOL!
Old February 2, 2011, 09:36 AM   #10
El Fumador

I love my 40VE. Ran 350 rounds through it in January with no problems.
Like kraigwy said, the brass does eject nicely.
Added a HIVIZ front sight.

Last edited by El Fumador; February 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Leejack

Nice work El Fumador!
Old February 2, 2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Jimmy10mm

I don't have that particular pistol but ..... if I am shooting target, focusing on sight alignment and trigger control, I can get back on target with my 9mm faster than with my .40. If I am point shooting for SD practice I can get reasonably accurate hits as fast or faster with my .40. I carry the .40.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:13 AM   #13
peacefulgary

They work well enough.....as they should since they copied the Glock.
But really, why have a rip-off when you can have the real thing?
Get a Glock.

Or, if you want an American made S&W pistol, get an M&P.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Onward Allusion

Quote:
danber9546
SW40/SW9VE
I'm thinking of buying one, just trying to get people's opinions I order it. Thinkin' I'll go for the 9mm, considering most of my ammo is in that caliber. How are they in function, reliably, etc.?
One of the best values out there at the moment as long as you're accustomed to or are willing to learn to shoot something with a HEAVY trigger. The 2nd generation VE series are reliable. The 1st generation - hit or miss. I have a few of the 2nd gens for my GO bags.

Some other notes:
* they're easy to disassemble & clean
* the trigger does smooth out after about 1,000 rounds (that and you get used to the heavy pull)
* $10 rail adapter from LaserLyte allows the Sigma to accept standard rail accessories
* used ones out in the market go for around $200 or less and are virtually unused because people get rid of them without trying to learn/adjust to the trigger

Here's one that not a lot of people know...
* the 40's frame will accept the 9mm's slide/barrel while the 40 mags can take 9mm cartridges as long as they're full length FMJ - nice in a pinch and yes, I have fully tested this.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old February 2, 2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Leejack

Quote:
But really, why have a rip-off when you can have the real thing?
Get a Glock
1. Less money, works just as good

2. Superior ergonomics/ comfortable grip, natural pointer

3. Made in the USA
Old February 2, 2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Te Anau

Quote:
Comfortable to shoot, eats anything, but the trigger is just god awful
Trigger isn't awful at all,it just isn't that of a 1911.Keep it in perspective.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:43 PM   #17
scorpion_tyr

Inexpensive ($300 NIB), very easy to use, very reliable. If it feels good in your hands, get one. I've owned two and never had a problem out of either.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:53 PM   #18
SVO

Everyone needs to own at least one Glock and the Sigma is the best one to own.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:08 PM   #19
Wuchak

I have the SW9VE and like it. It's comfortable, reliable, accurate, and priced right. Hard to beat a new, made in USA, stainless slide, compact, high-capacity, pistol for about $300 backed up by a top tier maker.

If you shoot revolvers the trigger will feel familiar since it feels about the same. After a couple of hundred rounds it should end up at about 8.5lbs. Even new it's not heavy unless you have never shot anything but 1911's and Glocks. If you want a heavy trigger I have a high standard revolver that will give your finger a real workout in DA : ). Personally I like the trigger on the Sigma better than the trigger on my Glock 26. The Sigma feels like a trigger, the Glock feels like mush.

The M&P is just the 3rd generation Sigma
Old February 2, 2011, 03:48 PM   #20
hagar

Don't insult my older Sigmas, I have 3 of them (9, 40 & 357) and love them. They are more accurate than my Glocks, and I have never heard of one gone KABOOM. I have heard of hundreds of Glocks dying an unfortunate early death however..:barf:
Old February 2, 2011, 04:48 PM   #21
BOBA FETT

i have the 40ve and i love it..never any problems with it..alot of people bash them cause they cant seem to accept the fact that this gun is super reliable and affordable compared to other guns that are expensive and have problems...
Old February 2, 2011, 05:44 PM   #22
Hardcase

I had an SW9VE a while back. Other than the rather heavy double action trigger pull, it worked just fine. People complain about the heavy trigger, but it's a double action gun - that striker spring has to be compressed somehow.

I don't know where the bad rep came from. I guess that some people take this stuff too personally. That S&W is one of only two guns that I ever sold and the only one that I wished that I would have kept.
Old February 2, 2011, 06:01 PM   #23
bmxslyguy187

I'll add to this just because everyone else is doing it.

I had .40VE. It was a great gun. Very reliable. Very accurate. Trigger wasn't a hair trigger, but stiff and longer than some like. It was a great first handgun for me. I used it often for hiking and the likes, but it was too bulky for a ccp for me, and too light-duty for a bear country pistol.
Old February 2, 2011, 06:50 PM   #24
Papa_timmy13

My first handgun I purchased when I turned 21 was the SW40VE. For my first pistol it was ok. Trigger pull was stiff, really stubborn on ammo, kicked like a mule. On that note it was the first gen so they definately worked out the bugs since then. after 4 yrs I traded it in on a new M&P. The 40VE was good just had some "quirks" that i wasn't all about.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:08 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

Nice gun. My buddy owns one and it's reliable and pretty accurate. Worse trigger I've ever seen on a gun though. Heavy, gritty and mushy all at once. I'm not saying don't buy one, I am saying the trigger is bad. If you can live with it however, it's a good reliable gun and I'm sure it would serve you well for many years.

I'd also suggest looking at the Ruger P95. Well made, reliable, accurate and a decent trigger.

You are on the right track going with the 9mm version based on ammo costs.

Tags
9mm , ccw , handguns semiauto , pistols , s&w