The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
EvanWhite

Browning Hi Power appraisal

Hi. I am new to firearms and these forums. I have a Browning Hi Power as my only gun (photos below). I don't really like how it feels, and I have used my brother's glock enough to know that I would prefer that over this hi power. However, before I go try and trade in the hi power, I would like to know how much it is worth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 1, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
38superhero

something smells fishy....
Old February 1, 2011, 02:26 PM   #3
EvanWhite

How do you mean?
Old February 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

Welcome to the forums.

Where are you located?

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 1, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
EvanWhite

California. Is that a problem? Complete noob here.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:44 PM   #6
goodspeed(TPF)

Well, from what I hear people in Cali have a real hard time with some real "interesting" laws, so I guess it MAY be a problem.

On a more serious note, the HP in question should be in the $500-$700 range depending on the private purchaser involved. A gun shop will probably be in the $300-$400 range. My advice: Sell it privately and buy a used Glock. You will have enough money left over for at least a case (1000rnds) of ammo. Enjoy. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 1, 2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
Somewhat agree ?? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 1, 2011, 02:52 PM   #8
EvanWhite

Honestly, I don't get it. What is fishy?
Old February 1, 2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Amin Parker

I think that is a silver chrome model. You want to sell it to buy a Glock???

Really???

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:05 PM   #10
redsrtturbo

saw the post earlier- I agree with fishy smell

I stayed away, you should too!
Old February 1, 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
scottl

Quote:
The member asking about the value of his Hi Power sounds fishy to you?
Old February 1, 2011, 03:08 PM   #12
redsrtturbo

I'll say it-

Dude comes around with 1 post claiming to be innocent and uninformed, and has some very nice pictures of an abnormal or special hi-power with clear pictures in some key spots and claiming to know nothing about a gun he may own.

My guess is he's looking for a sucker-

in the spirit of this thread; I have this bridge for sale in California and a few islands off Florida

PM me for details
Old February 1, 2011, 03:13 PM   #13
James K
Staff

I don't especially like Glocks, but for a defense gun a Glock makes more sense than that BHP. That model BHP was made as a target gun, with large adjustable sights and a big after-market grip. Those features, combined with the BHP's small safety, make it less than ideal for defensive carry.

So I see nothing odd about the EvanWhite's question or his desire to change. Whether individual transfer is legal in CA I don't know, but I am sure he will comply with the law in making a trade.

Jim
Old February 1, 2011, 03:17 PM   #14
EvanWhite

This is my first gun. It belonged to my wife's grandfather. He recently passed. He had many guns that the family split among ourselves after his death. This I the one I got. I know nothing about guns. I took the pictures with my Samsung phone. The markings looked important so I took pitures of them. I took it to the range once and didn't like how it felt. I Was looking for an honest asessment of its worth - something I didn't think I could get at a dealer.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Amin Parker

Evan,

That is a very very special pistol you have there. I have been looking for one for almost ten years and its very scarce.

Its a beautiful gun i must say. If it was mine i would not sell it, you will regret it as you learn more about handguns.

Just think carefully before you make your move though and good luck.

That gun is drop dead beautiful and most people will be envious of you.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:33 PM   #16
TATER

I have this titanium and carbon fiber club. However, my brother has this stick........
Old February 1, 2011, 03:34 PM   #17
James K
Staff

As goodspeed noted, there are two prices, a retail price of $700-800, and what you can get on a trade which is subject to a lot of variables, mostly what you trade it for. [It is just like automobile trading. If I trade my Camry on a Ford Fusion ($18,000) I will get a lot less for it than I will if I trade for a Maybach Landaulet ($1,400,000).]

Whether on an individual sale (where legal) or a tradein with a dealer, the name of the game is dickering.

Jim
Old February 1, 2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Coltman 77

Posted by Amin Parker:

Quote:
Evan,

That is a very very special pistol you have there. I have been looking for one for almost ten years and its very scarce.

Its a beautiful gun i must say. If it was mine i would not sell it, you will regret it as you learn more about handguns.

Just think carefully before you make your move though and good luck.

That gun is drop dead beautiful and most people will be envious of you.
Agreed.

That is a very beautiful Hi Power. Don't sell it. Especially for a Glock.

They are a dime a dozen, available anywhere and can be found new or used for cheap.

Study the history of the Hi Power and appreciate what you have.

I'd rather have your pistol Evan, than 6 Glocks.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 1, 2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Delaware_Dan

Keep the High Power and buy a Glock. Or sell me the High Power. Just dont trade the High Power for the glock.

-Bruce Lee
Old February 1, 2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Philo

I agree, keep the Hi Power. It is a marvelous weapon. My Hi Power is nowhere near as beautiful as yours, but I love it.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Skans

That is a very very nice Hi-Power. I don't know the value, but I'd say it is well over $1,000. Someone more knowledgable could probably help you out. In any event, if you inherited that pistol, I wouldn't sell it under any circumstances. But, if you do, at least make sure you are well informed. It's not going to lose any value between now and the time you sell it, that's for sure!

Also, you will find prices for other silver-chrome Hi-Powers out there that are newer, i.e. not made in Belgium, like yours is. Those prices would not be comparable at all, in my opinion.

FWIW, I wouldn't assume that something is fishy about the original post. It looks like a legitimate inquiry to me.

Last edited by Skans; February 1, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:30 PM   #22
rigby06

+1 to not selling that Browning High-Power

I like Glocks, they are a good weapon, but I would not sell/trade a High-power on a Glock, I would save up for it and just buy the Glock I was interested in.

you may find that instead of the current grips on the High-Power to be too large, you can switch them out for thinner after market wood ones, it will made a difference in how that weapon feels in your hand.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:31 PM   #23
glockcompact

I don't necassarily disagree with the previous posts but I have to say I don't have the extra money lying around to have safe queens. I sold my safe queens for useable firearms. If this is a truely a collectors pistol (which it very well maybe). You'll need to decide what to do. I use to own a BHP a while back. Infact it was my first pistol. And I thought it was a great pistol untill I started shooting others. I have sold it and although it wasn't as nice as yours, I really don't miss it. That being said a good pistol will only appreciate in value and this may or may not be one of those. Other people on this forum certainly know more than I do. I probably didn't help much but I thought I would add my thoughts fwiw. If you feel you need to sell it maybe you have someone else in your family to sell it to. Then it can stay in your family. Or if you feel it's an investment keep it like you would money in your savings. And save up for that Glock.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:43 PM   #24
Jamas

Maybe he is a noob...

Thats a shame. A beutiful work of art like a chrome high power is going to be wheeled and dealed into a black hunk of plastic... I would buy new hands or learn to love the feel of it before I traded it for a Glock... But hey thats just me.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:43 PM   #25
Hal

I paid $650.00 for the twin to that Silver Chrome about 10 years ago.
Take the rubber booties off and replace them with Craig Spegle thin grips and it feels like a different gun.

Tags
appraisal , glock , hi power