The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1
cajun47

problem with s&w 15-22?

my brother in law bought a s&w 15-22(m4 clone). we went shoot with the peep sites that came on the rifle. like my sig 522(.22lr) it was 100% reliable with two different winchester brands of bulk and the federal bulk.

the problem is the 15-22 won't group well at all. we thought we had the peep sites zeroed in then the bullets fly all over the target then it will hit red sometimes.

its not like i can't shoot. i made impressive groups with my sig 522. we used a bench and rifle rest. it wan't windy. shooting at 25 yards. we even tried 10 yards.

i have never seen any rifle shoot this bad. does the 15-22 have a history with problems with the factory sites or barrel?
Old February 1, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
rdmallory

Nothing loose on it?

I have the one with the Magpul sights and can keep them all in a 2" circle at 25 yards. I ordered a smaller front pin to see if I could tighten it up a bit. I need to be under an inch for Apple seed.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
kx592

Good timing bringing this up, I was going to create a new post but since were here...

Last Saturday I went to a show and got talking with a guy there about 22's and he brought up the 15-22. He was explaining how he and 3 other buddies went to cabelas and all 4 of them bough brand new 15-22's. Said they loaded them up with all different types of brand ammo and every one of their guns blew up. Now I questioned what he meant by blown up and it was described as such, "like a double feed, it would load one round without extracting the one in the chamber and ignited both rounds and blew the receiver up in all 4 of our faces, and apparently s&w knows about this issue".

Now im a big fan of this rifle, my friend has one and it shoots really good with irons, I was thinking of getting one but that guy was freaking me out. I dont know if anyone else heard of this but id like to know if its happened to anyone on here.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:49 PM   #4
cajun47

i call bs on your friend.

no i don't think the sites where loose but i don't have the rifle with me.

Last edited by cajun47; February 1, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Quentin2

Some early M&P15-22s would fire out of battery but I think S&W has corrected the problem by now. Four in a row, I doubt that!

Also most reports on the 15-22 is good accuracy. I've never fired one but my similar Colt M4 .22LR is reliable and accurate with Winchester and Federal 36gr value pack. These are good little rifles so I'd pursue the accuracy problem with S&W. Maybe something's wrong with the crown?
Old February 1, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
kx592

Also mind you this guy was rather old like 60-70 so it could have been early production.

Yea accuracy with irons, definitely the most accurate 22 ive shot out to 75yards
Old February 1, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
derekb

My grandfather's got a cheap 3-9x scope on his, and there's no issue pinging a plate (18-24"... can't remember for sure) at 100yds offhand.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:37 PM   #8
davlandrum

Quote:
Also mind you this guy was rather old like 60-70 so it could have been early production.

They have only been out a couple of years....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 1, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
1Hobie

Love mine

I've got a MOE version and love it. J-P Spring kit, Leupold scope, Harris bi-pod. Haven't been able to get outside to strech it out but here's a couple of photos of a shoot at 50'. BTW, my gun is picky about what i feed it as far as accuracy. It loves CCI and Federal not cheapest...

Hobie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058_1.jpg (27.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg bill the cat_1.jpg (39.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0061_1.jpg (27.6 KB, 31 views)
Old February 1, 2011, 06:43 PM   #10
cajun47

"Maybe something's wrong with the crown?"

how would i tell? would the flash suppressor cause an accuracy problem?

if we can't figure it out will s&w fix the rifle for free?
Old February 2, 2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Quentin2

Oh so your M&P15-22 has the flash hider? Then it's not likely the crown has been damaged. I suggested it because a lot of them don't have the FH, leaving the end of the barrel naked to damage.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #12
rdmallory

Call S&W. Mine started to FTE after 400 rounds. I called S&S they emailed me a shipping label. Had it back in 5 days.

Then it took Fed-Ex another 3 days to get it delivered but that is another story.

There service is the best I have seen.

Doug
Old February 2, 2011, 06:26 PM   #13
OfficerJohnson10

I've had no issues with my M&P 15-22 except a few failure to ejects but they would happen at the end of my shooting session after several hundred rounds with no cleaning. The only issue I've constantly read about is an extractor problem with the early models which its my understanding S&W has corrected on the current productions. As for your poor groupings, I would think that maybe something is loose. I have an eotech on my 15-22 and have little trouble keeping a half dollar group or smaller at 25 yards. Have someone else shoot it and if they are having the grouping issue, send it back to S&W for a once over.

Your goal in a gunfight should not be to simply survive...it should be to prevail.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:10 PM   #14
guy sajer

Make sure the bore is clean .

The cheap bulk hi-velocity wax coated lead .22 ammo tends to lead up some rifles worse than others . We had a guy that we sold the same model S&W rifle to come back with the exact complaint . "It won't group ." The barrel/bore was so loaded up with lead that we couldn't get a .22 rod down the barrel . Took a few hours of tlc and elbow grease to remove it all . It was coming out in clumps ! Shot fine after cleaning .

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

RIP John Forsyth