The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 1, 2011, 08:10 AM   #1
c.robertson

Walker Loading Lever

This is a dumb question that I should know.

What keeps the 1847 Walker loading lever from falling from the force of the recoil? All (almost) other black powder revolvers have a retaining latch at the front, the Walker does not. (???)
Old February 1, 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
junkman_01

The Walker has a spring hook near the rear of the loading lever. They still fall sometimes from recoil, and that is why the method used was dropped in favor of a forward catch you are familiar with.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

You can reshape the cam at the bottom of the spring latch a bit to hold the ram up more securely, but don't get too carried away or you won't be able to release it at all.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...p?f=92&t=62057

At CAS matches, I cheat a bit and give it a wrap of black vinyl electrician's tape. If somebody complains about it not being "period correct", use a piece of leather or horse hair.

SASS 47015
Old February 27, 2011, 12:09 AM   #4
ROGER4314

Tie a piece of rawhide lace around the forward end of the barrel and loading lever. It's authentic and is probably what the actual users did!

Flash
Old February 27, 2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Bill Akins

See my post at the below link for a full explanation of how the Walker loading lever is retained and how it's retention can be improved.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...52#post4467852

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 27, 2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Peter M. Eick

I had someone ask me about my "Walker monopod" one day when shooting it. They thought was factory original for tactical-ness if that is a word.

I slightly reshaped mine and now it only occasionally comes down with full 60 grn charges.