The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 30, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Animateclay

M1 30 Carbine: How do you use the rear sight?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Firing Line, I hope someone can tell me how this works. I've got a Winchester M1 .30 Carbine. The rear sight has an adjustment for windage and is stamped with an H in a shield. Does anyone know the MOA for one click on these? Is it 1 MOA at 100 yards?

Another question is that from the top, the rear peep hole can move forward and backwards. One the left side there is one number. It's a 15, or possibly 1.5. When you move the peep at that distance, it lines up with a number on the right as well. The number 1.

Further on the right side is a number 2, a number 2.5 and a number 3.

My father guesses it's 100 yards, 200, 250 and 300 yards. But I've heard some of these old sights were adjustable to 300 feet. Can anyone help us out? I'd like to set the sights up for 50 yards, which I'm not sure is possible.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
kraigwy

For the most part, M1 Carbine sights are 1 click per MOA just like the rest of the "as issued" US Military Rifles. They are really simple but good. My Underwood Carbine is right at 1 click per MOA. Some may be a little off one way or the other. Best way to see is to set a target out at 100 yards and play with the sight to see what your's does.

I'd recommend reading this link for problems with the M1 Carbine sights. But in reality they are pretty simple.

http://www.thecmp.org/pdfs/CC-zeroin...jrearsight.pdf
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 31, 2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Animateclay

Thanks kraigwy. As far as I can tell, our Winchester is immune from the front sight problem. It never had a bayonet fitting attached to the barrel. At least that much I don't have to worry about, if I read that PDF correctly. I can't wait to shoot some targets and figure out what those numbers stand for.
Old January 31, 2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The numbers are yards.

1.5 is 150 yards, 3 is 300 yards, etc.

Tags
m1 carbine rear sights