The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 28, 2011, 04:35 PM   #26
markj

I saw a dog was shot by a shotgun. Nephews <large dog> , was in his yard on a chain. Guy was walking up and down the block screaming about his wife etc. Dog barked, guy got gun and shot dog, dog had number 6 shot under his skin all over his front, head and legs. Dog lived, guy went to jail.

I had a dog was a good watch dog, a guy was in my house, didnt know him he came with someone else, guy takes his 38 out to show it off, dog grabbed his whole hand gun goes off hitting my dog in his jaw. Dog runs into bathtub till I got the bleeding stopped. I thanked the guy for the new 38 I just got, he left empty handed. I got 100 for the gun. Dog lived to be 10.

Last edited by JohnKSa; March 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: .
Old March 3, 2011, 12:53 PM   #27
Ben Towe

Markj, you are lucky the guy didn't get a good lawyer and ruin you. He could have done so easily.
Old March 3, 2011, 01:05 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
I have been temped to report but I am afraid if I take action then I will be seen as excercising vigilante justice.
Reporting would not be vigilante justice.

Shooting the dog pre-emptively would be vigilante justice.

Shooting the dog that was attacking you would be self defense, and justified in most places. New Jersey, Chicago: YMMV.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 3, 2011, 01:10 PM   #29
Inhimwelive

Ben Towe "Markj, you are lucky the guy didn't get a good lawyer and ruin you. He could have done so easily."

Funny I don't see that at all.. The man pulled out a gun at a strangers house..The dog was defending his master.. What I see is the guy was lucky he didn't go to jail for reckless discharge of a firearm...
Old March 3, 2011, 02:07 PM   #30
markj

Quote:
Markj, you are lucky the guy didn't get a good lawyer and ruin you. He could have done so easily.
No, he wouldnt go to the law, he was glad he got to leave in one piece and not full of holes himself.

Now I for one would never take my gun out to show it off in a strangers house. No matter who it was brought me. Good way to get shot, specially in that neighborhood.
Old March 3, 2011, 02:40 PM   #31
bikerbill

A few years ago I was out walking my beagle early in the morning ... I live in a very quiet town on a golf course where nothing ever happens ... we're cruising along when I see movement about 100 yards away ... three dogs, with a huge shepherd in the lead, are barking their heads off and making lunging moves .... Shiner of course is ready to head for the barn ... the dogs finally charge ... like an idiot I had left my regular carry gun, a PM9, at home and all I had was a 3-inch folder ... I pulled it as a thought flashed through my head .. "this is gonna hurt." I yelled at them ... bad dog, go away ... at the top of my lungs ... about 20 or so feet from us they suddenly veered into the bushes and were gone ... I just stood there, stunned at the suddeness of the attack and the end of it ... we staggered home ... I had no idea who owned the dogs, tho I later spotted them in the yard of a house we've passed a million times with no problems ... turns out the family was keeping the shepherd a few days for a friend, he was the ringleader and his two toadies were dogs that lived at the house ... needless to say, I don't leave my gun at home any more ... a close call ... dogs are NOT to be messed with; if I'd had my gun, I'd have done my best to kill all three ...
Old March 3, 2011, 08:00 PM   #32
MLeake

getting feint-charged....

... by dogs who veer off at 20 feet, does not qualify as being attacked, in my book.

If I shot at dogs who did that, several of my neighbors would no longer have dogs. And, I'd probably be much more well-acquainted with my local Sheriff's office.
Old March 3, 2011, 08:25 PM   #33
nefprotector

".357 works, so does a F-150. "

+1
Old March 7, 2011, 09:56 AM   #34
Silent Bob

Back before I carried a gun and walked to work I was chased by a loose <large dog> in kill-mode into the back of some random dude's pick-up truck parked alongside the street. Was lucky that truck was there. Even if I was armed with something like say my Colt 1911 that would have been a nerve-wracking experience to engage that charging canine psychopath. A pack? Oh God.

Last edited by JohnKSa; March 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: .
Old March 7, 2011, 10:52 AM   #35
tgreening

The instructor of my CCW class related to us his run in with a <large dog> at his outdoor range just the day before our class. Apparently the dog showed up out of nowhere and became threatening to people at the range. He came out and managed to back the dog up to the edge of his property and thought he would be able to end it without incident.

He said he took his eye of the dog and then it charged. He said it took 4 shots from his weapon to put the dog on the ground, and a fifth to the head to finish it off. Two shots straight to the chest and two in a couple various areas I don't remember.

.45 1911.

Last edited by JohnKSa; March 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: .
Old March 8, 2011, 04:21 PM   #36
bikerbill

thanks for your imput, MLeake ... seeing three dogs charging at top speed, snarling and snapping, would perhaps have changed your "not there" opinion ... is the idea to wait until the dogs are actually chomping on me before taking action? If I had had a gun that day, I would have taken the first shot at about that distance, since I had three targets to worry about ... I'm glad they veered off, but how long exactly do you suggest waiting before taking action? 18 feet? 10 feet? 5?
Old March 8, 2011, 06:18 PM   #37
MLeake

bikerbill...

... would I have faulted you for drawing down? No. For firing? Probably not.

But you weren't attacked, as it turned out.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:53 AM   #38
sdw1961

atlctyslkr I see that you are in GA close to me. First I want you to know dogs are a very big part of my life, but I don't condone vicious dogs--unfortunately some owners are irresponsible and the dogs have to pay. I can understand you not wanting to call animal control or the police because if they are anything like it is here it's hard to get something done in a reasonable amount of time (that's because they are so overwhelmed) and you make enemies out of your neighbors as well. But if it were me I'd have to step up and try to go the route some members have already mentioned. Report the dogs and get documentation. Perhaps you could speak to the AC Officer about keeping your information confidential. I was also going to mention the bear spray (I haven't tried it but it was recommended to me today) I have pepper-sprayed an angry dog before and it did not work. I know you are in a difficult situation, but what if one of those dogs gets a hold of a child or another innocent dog? Please reconsider reporting them...that way you will be covered if you do have to shoot the dogs and there will be no chance of missing and hitting an unintended target.
My well wishes are with you. I'll be quite now.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:39 PM   #39
Hiker 1

Is a 357 enough to stop a large dog. I am worried that with five shots that may not be enough to stop two dogs especially if I have one or more misses.

My grandfather dropped a big <mixed breed dog> with a single shot (hollow-point) from a scoped .22 rifle at about 30 feet. One shot turned its lights off instantly. It's all about placement.
Old March 14, 2011, 08:26 AM   #40
mega twin

A dog,if really attacking,can do 20 feet in less than a second.
You had better be on target way before then,as it is a lot different than the 21foot rule for humans.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:28 PM   #41
Eagle Eye

Three dogs come on my property and cause damage. I'm not talking about BMs...I'm talking tearing up 6 feet of drainage pipe and about 25 square feet of turf to get to a squirrel or some other prey hiding in the pipe. I have found a pellet to the butt will send them away for many months. I use the pointed pellets that are intended for small game. And by the way, I get one careful shot out the back door, usually from about 100 to 150 feet. If I take two or if I step out, a neighbor is sure to report me for illegally firing the pellet gun. But I have spent as much as $100 twice to repair the dogs' damage, so they don't get more chances and I don't take chances.

I would not dare kill a dog unless it had its teeth in me. Otherwise I would be accused of cruelty to animals and would be fined at the least. Simply being off it's owner's property is not sufficient. It must post a threat to life according to Kansas law. Having it chew on me would hurt like hell, but I would have more evidence than my word that it was charging with intent to kill. I think I could hit it with my eyes shut if it had a jaw clamp on my leg. And unfortunately I would quietly dispose of the carcass, for those who hurt of kill someone's beloved pet seem to always suffer from the law or the owner -- even if the pet is a stray that the "owner" claims because he feeds it sometimes. I have read of too many victims that have taken appropriate action and then are victimized for protecting life, limb and property.

Sorry. I hate for someone's dog to quietly disappear, but I hate court costs and vengefull owners even more.
Old March 29, 2011, 01:06 AM   #42
freenokia

When I was a kid my across the street neighbor had a springer spaniel that was mean as hell. He used to chase me every time I went out into the front of my yard or in the street while riding my four wheeler. This lasted for years. One day I went over there to talk to the neighbor. When he came outside, the dog came outside. The dog growled & bit me. The neighbor put him to sleep. To this day I get along with dogs, I like dogs. But just a hint of aggression from one and I'm ready to kill it. If that springer spaniel was still alive I'd kill it with my bare hands.

Point I'm making is don't let that dog dictate where you feel comfortable in your own neighborhood. Do what you have to do. A 357 will get you there.
Old March 29, 2011, 01:33 AM   #43
Sarge

I've seen the aftermath of dog attacks and there's no way I'm letting one get a bite of me, if I can prevent it.
Old March 29, 2011, 05:59 PM   #44
msnden

I am a little hesitant to answer, I am a walker,(& well over 60 yrs) and have had some encounters, some have ended well, and some have not!! THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL !!, (when all else falls) a well placed CB .22 short at 710 fps (the lowly .22 short) will dispatch a pit bull mix, very quick & with very little noise, and (if you practice a little) you will not miss a step, If one were to do this, and it is nothing to be proud of!!! but, after you have exhausted all other avenues, it may be your only alternative, I am a dog lover and would rather see the owner take responsibility, But my Grandchildren take precedence over an unruly dog. Just my opinion.
Old March 30, 2011, 03:38 PM   #45
markj

Dogs can hurt a person,

http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogbl...n-el-paso.html

poor man was killed by strays.

Be carefull out there
Old April 15, 2011, 06:03 PM   #46
justjim75

how about a suppressed 22lr target pistol with a reflex site and subsonic ammo?