The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Wildalaska

24/7 Carriers? Ever any exceptions to your rule?

So you carry 24/7...in your home, from the mawnin when ya wake up, till ya puts on your Hello Kitty Feetie Jammies at night night time. You have a Glock on a rope in the shower. You avoid any venue that prohibits you from being armed.

Any exceptions to that rule allowed? How about when you are getting ready for a great day of NFL playoffs and a 6.5 (the final verdict)mm stone drops out of your kidney and sticks up in that little tube place. In between writhing on the floor and pacing from wall to wall, what do you do with your CCW? Then when you go to the hospital (lets say ya drive yourself) do you take your CCW with you? Is it a good idea to have your CCW with you when you pass out in the ER from the pain?

Now subsequent thereto, you have more dope in ya than Chicago voters have identities? Still carry?

I relate of course my own recent experience. but the question is more rhetorical....viz: if you carry 24/7 (or say you do), what do you do when physical circumstances render it unwise for you to do so? Carry anyway? Doped up and in pain? Or if you agree that there are certain circumstances that rightfully preclude carrying a weapon, then it all does become a matter of degree, yes?

WildandyesifeelbettersomewhatthankyouAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 27, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
BGutzman

So long as its a Roland Kit you made you suck it up and carry!
Old January 27, 2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Jake Balam

I lock my guns up if I'm goin drinking. I would do the same if I were on heavy medication.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #4
hoytinak

If I'm going out with some friends and even think I might have a drink or two all my guns (CCW, nightstand and shotgun in the corner by the bed) get locked up in the safe before I head out.

Last month I was really sick (due to black mold in the house) and I felt drugged up all the time so everything again stayed locked up till I got to feeling better.

Just use "good" sense (I say "good" cause common really isn't these days).
Old January 27, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Stevie-Ray

Here in Michigan, it is illegal to carry in some places, and unfortunately, some of these are necessary at times, like hospitals. I don't carry in the shower. If having a drink at all in this state you don't carry legally (.02) unless, of course, in your own home and not planning on venturing out. For the quick stop places you can't carry, i.e. theatres, parking lots are generally legal, so it is wise to have a safe in your vehicle. I stay out of bars altogether, and simply drink iced tea in favorite restaurants if I'm carrying.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
till ya puts on your Hello Kitty Feetie Jammies at night night time
You really need to stop looking in my windows at night. I thought the judge made that clear

There are times and places I can't carry, usually for legal reasons. If possible, I avoid those places. If not, I ensure that the weapon is well secured.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Conn. Trooper

I broke my own rules once and went with my wife outside to do "night check" on the horses ( she runs a very large horse farm). I was standing outside the barn, it's literally in the middle of nowhere, and saw something small moving in the back field. Small, low to the ground, not a horse. I didn't have my gun with me, I was in sweat pants and sneakers ( not Hello Kitty, they were in the wash ). I did have my keys with me because I have a bad habit of locking every single door behind me. So, I got my M-4 out of my cruiser and shined the light on the rifle out in the field. Saw about 4 coyotes looking back at me. Now I never go outside without a gun.

I can't think of anywhere I can't carry, and I don't drink, so I honestly can't remember a day in the last 15 years I haven't carried. I don't carry into the bathroom though, does anyone really do that?
Old January 28, 2011, 08:30 AM   #8
DiscoRacing

There are a few places/times I dont carry....

...they call em federal buildings.

Other than that... Im always strapped.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:41 AM   #9
GoOfY-FoOt

Bottom line?
I always know where my guns are, and I keep them as close as is legally possible.

I don't profess 24/7 carry, anymore. I hate trying to wash gun oil out of my silk bed sheets...
Not to mention the rude awakening when I would roll over on to my 1911...!

I have a friend that carries multiples, 25 hours a day and 8 days a week...
Old January 28, 2011, 09:17 AM   #10
KLRANGL

If you ever feel like getting a higher education, in most cases that means going unarmed at least part of the day.

You can maximize your carry time, but you can also miss out on some cool things in life if you take it a bit too far.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11
BombthePeasants

I'm a little bitter that, when you want to go to a professional sporting event, you are not allowed to carry. So where I live, in N. Texas, and my wife and I want to go see a Dallas Stars game for example, of ALL the places I would want to carry, it's in frickin' DALLAS. Yet, I can't carry in American Airlines Center...what a whip.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:17 PM   #12
markj

Quote:
I don't carry into the bathroom though, does anyone really do that?

You mean some dont shower like Big Jake?

I dont carry 24/7 and have had my share of trouble in the past, never needed a gun to handle things, I have 2 hands and some training well lots of training in the hand to hand stuff but I dont like to talk about it.

Guns are around and loaded on the farm as I like to be ready for them varmints and critters dont need to be on the place.

Coyotes wont attack you, shoulda shot em.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Terry A

I've had several surgeries over the years. When I was in the hospital "nightie" on the operating table under anethstesia (sp??) I did not have one on me then.

I'm trying to think of any other times when I was not carrying or had one with-in a hands reach. Let's see....can't remember when that was last.....hold on a minute.....

Had one on when I got married....when I graduated High School. At each kids birth.....Wait! Married! I remember another time now that I did NOT have a gun on me or with-in reach! When we were on our honeymoon and I was swimming in the Atlantic ocean! I left them in our hotel room.

2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 28, 2011, 05:39 PM   #14
BGutzman

I truly try to carry as much as possible. We rarely give business to any business that prohibits guns and yes we even carry at the grocery store. Federal buildings are a occasional pain and most hospitals are a no gun zone although for our state many of the signs they put up dont meet the legal requirements of the law (MN) to prevent you from carrying there.

If Im doing pretty much anything the gun is on my side or within easy reach but I dont shower with it in my hand or anything.

In the case I have to take medicine that might affect my ability to judge things then I put it away until Im done with the medicine. If the day were to come that I constantly needed some medicine for pain or whatever I would have to put them away but hopefully those days are a good bit farther down the road.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:03 PM   #15
8shot357

I'll have to flip my notes back from kindergarten.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:23 PM   #16
egor20

Places I don't carry

Chiefs/NCO clubs.....on base can't do it

Most PX/Commissaries/Class Six stores.....on base can't do it

Federal/State/County buildings.... just lock in the gun safe in the truck

Church..... Virginia has a fuzzy rule about it, locked in the truck with my wifes

Bars..... I can OC/CC and drink, ergo; I don't go to many bars

Airports..... I stay in the truck, the wife picks up whom ever (or visa/versa)

When ever my doctor gives me any medication that my wife looks at and says "give me your gun..... locked in the gun safe

Other than those, pretty much carry all the time.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 28, 2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaska
Any exceptions to that rule allowed? How about when you are getting ready for a great day of NFL playoffs and a 6.5 (the final verdict)mm stone drops out of your kidney and sticks up in that little tube place. In between writhing on the floor and pacing from wall to wall, what do you do with your CCW? Then when you go to the hospital (lets say ya drive yourself) do you take your CCW with you? Is it a good idea to have your CCW with you when you pass out in the ER from the pain?

Well, I doubt you're going to be thinking about putting away your gun when that stone drops, so I'm going to say that you're still going to be wearing it when the ambulance arrives. After all, if your writhing around on the floor, you're certainly not going to drive yourself to the hospital.

Anyway, I carry (virtually) every day, (virtually) everywhere. There are exceptions, sometimes just because I feel like it.

No one "carries 24/7" unless they sleep with a holster on. I do carry far, far more often than not though. My gun is in the Gun Vault by the bed every night so, if that counts, I'm almost 24/7/365.

I doubt there have been more than a dozen days since I got my permit that I haven't carried, that's in almost exactly 2 years. In fact, I think yesterday or the day before was my "anniversary".
Old January 28, 2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
After all, if your writhing around on the floor, you're certainly not going to drive yourself to the hospital.
Ha! Wanna bet?

WildtothetuneofswmbostauntsbestrongkenchanyouaresamuraiAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 28, 2011, 07:59 PM   #19
Mannlicher

funky question wildwtfalaska.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 28, 2011, 08:14 PM   #20
Vermonter

Pefect Example

My father went to the hospital in a hurry a wile back for some heart issues. The first thing he did when getting there was leave his firearms in the truck. I drove all the way from VT to PA to see him for what we thought would be the last time. Thankfully that was not the case but the first thing he said was not I love you or good to see you it was the handguns are in the truck go take em home and lock em up would ya.

P.S. hes fine and he is one of those old farts who refuses to ride in an ambulance.

Vermonter
Old January 28, 2011, 10:42 PM   #21
armoredman

I carry everywhere except while asleep or in the shower - no gun-on-a-rope. At work I am not allowed to carry my personal sidearm - they give me a Glock instead.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:43 PM   #22
orionengnr

Quote:
I carry everywhere except while asleep or in the shower - no gun-on-a-rope.
Bingo....but add the word "legally". When I was carted off in an ambulance about four years ago after being hit by a cell-phone-babbling jackass while riding my motorcycle to work as I laid on the back board, I showed the responding officer my CHL, and let him take my PM9 "for a while".
When I was discharged from the hospital, my first stop was the PD, where I retrieved the PM9.

So, to answer your question (if it was a question) the answer is no. With the exceptions being pretty exceptional.

As a regular at the Texas CHL forum has in his sig line:
"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

IMHO, he has the right idea.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Carter

I carry in my house about 50% of the time. It depends on how much I'm playing with the kid or dog.

Every where that is prohibited naturally.

However, I always carry at church, which a lot of people seem to have mixed feelings about.

I decided to carry my CCW in to Diamonds Direct one day, and about 40 minutes later they are rolling cases of alcohol in. There was no sign on the door saying no weapons, and not a prohibited place, so I thought I was okay. Turns out they throw private parties with LOTS of alcohol. I quickly took my firearm back out to the car.
Now I don't think I'll be carrying in to high end jewelry stores.
Old January 29, 2011, 07:41 PM   #24
dawg23

I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to do so.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:50 PM   #25
Dwight55

Trooper asked:
Quote:
I don't carry into the bathroom though, does anyone really do that?
Yessir, I do. If you stop and think about it a minute, . . . if the bg for example wants to bust in on you, . . . but doesn't want the wrong end of a confrontation, . . . what better way than to lay low and watch the house.

When you go into the shower, . . . there's far too much noise going on there for most to hear a shoulder moving a door open, . . . and even if the bg does the "kick the door" entry, . . . is Marvin Bare Butt gonna come out pointing his Dove soap and wash cloth at the bg?

I don't know what I'll meet coming out of my shower when I am the only folk at the place, . . . so I bring my 1911 to the shower with me, . . . within easy reach, . . . even if I am all wet.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!