The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Hoosier_Daddy

Hard to find a Mossberg 500 or 590 HD shotgun?

I guess I am not getting to the right gun dealers. I check in with a couple of Mossberg listed dealers in SE Michigan area asking if they carry or can get a couple of different 500 or 590 shotguns and I get an answer like: "I got a Remington 870 6 shot". Well if I wanted a Remington 870 6 shot , I would have asked for one.

I even went to Mossberg's web site, sent an email asking if their Michigan salesperson has a stocking dealer recommendation. I guess they are too busy for my question cause it has been ignored so far.

I just have to see, touch and smell things before I buy. I wanted to see the difference between the 6 shot, 8 shot and 9 shot versions, bead sight or ghost ring site. (Honestly I don't know what a ghost ring site is).

Guess I'll drive up to Jays in Clare, MI as they had one of the largest long gun stocks I ever saw a few years back.

Sorry for the rant. Buying my handgun recently was a piece of cake compared to this quest.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2
oneounceload

You might try buying online from a reputable dealer and have it shipped to a friendly FFL
Old January 27, 2011, 06:52 PM   #3
SoilworK777

Yeah...except he wouldn't be able to "see, touch and smell" it.
Old January 27, 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
oneounceload

Can still go see, touch, and smell, and then order one
Old January 27, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
rdmallory

Quote:
Can still go see, touch, and smell, and then order one
That is his issue no one has one in stock to look at.

Doug
Old January 27, 2011, 09:48 PM   #6
jmortimer

Davidsons has some 500s a few 590s and no 590 A1s
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
You can buy one right now. Ghost ring is a circular rear sight which some like. I had a 590 A1 with Ghost Ring Sight and no heat shield.
Good guns but for me I'd rahter have the Mossberg 930 short barrel with bead sight for about the same $$$.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
tighty whitey

Well the internet is only soooo good

One of these days we'll have transporters like on Star Trek, but for now pictures and descriptions might have to do. If you visit the site for Shooters of Jacksonville, www.shootersjax.com you will find that they have hundreds of Mossbergs and loads of 500s and 590s.
Old January 28, 2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Icopy1

Your local Dicks Sporting Goods will have a few 500s and 930s. They may not be exactly the model you want, but they will be close enough to get a feel for it.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:54 AM   #9
Hoosier_Daddy

Stopped at Cabala's on my way home from Toledo, OH today. Checked out one Mossberg 500 and 590A1. That 500 had a breech barrel which I don't think I would ever need but the single bead sight was quick and easy to pick up. on.
The 590A1 had a 3 dot type sight on it that just didn't work easily with me and for a home defense shotgun that sight would seem to be a hinderance to me.
Got my first experience with a ghost ring sight on a savage and that first impression with ghost ring sighting was very pretty favorable.
Going to stray up to Jay's and over to Silver Bullet over the next month to hopefully check out some other models.
But learned a bit today on what I found to be plusses and minuses. Enough that I could order what I want.
Old February 1, 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
GoF150xlt

Dunhams carries the Mossberg 500's

That is where I got mine.