The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2011, 02:10 AM   #1
gyvel

Regent R100: BEWARE!!!

Based on the good reviews in the American Rifleman, I decided to purchase one for a "toss around" shooter. The price wasn't bad, $339.00 on Gunbroker +$20 to ship. Basically what Davidsons charges to dealers ($359.00).

Bottom line: Don't believe what you read in A.R. All the hype about these Turkish-made 1911s being produced on modern machinery to strict NATO specs is a crock.

To wit: The slide to frame fit is as loose or looser than any WWII reject I have ever handled.

The small parts (hammer, grip safety, thumb safety) are crude castings and look NOTHING like the promo photographs. (More on them later.)

The slide continually hung up on the disconnector and would either have to be batted closed with the palm of your hand, or retracted and slingshotted forward repeatedly.

Often, when thumb cocking the hammer rapidly, it would not cock but, rather, fall into the half cock position. It would also lock the action shut, and, to release it, the slide would have to drawn back about 1/8" to release it. (I believe this has something to do with the disconnector again.)

The trigger pull was extremely notchy and gritty.

My first thought was to send it to the factory for repair or exchange, but IAC's warranty requires you to pay shipping, which, for a handgun, is rather expensive.

I have put together many .45s in my day which have all been completely reliable and successful builds, so I decided to investigate these problems myself. (I'm fortunate in having a large stockpile of .45 parts.)

The hammer, an incredibly crude casting, did not have the half cock notch cut properly. The width of the cut was such that the sear would NOT engage in the slot itself, but rather on the lip of the notch. Thus, a hard enough pull of the trigger would allow the hammer to drop from half cock.

The sear was also a rather crude casting, but looked serviceable.

The disconnector was of a type I have never seen before. It, too, was a casting, but instead of having the entire upper portion the same diameter as the hole in the frame, it had a "ball" shaped swell. In theory, the ball would probably work well enough, but it had many casting sprues on it that were never polished off. I suspect the casting sprues were causing the disconnector to bind in the hole causing the problem with the slide.

The grip safety was a crude casting as well, and exhibited much hand fitting. It was also very loose and exhibited much lateral play as well as excess play on the thumb safety shaft. (So much for precision parts "made to strict NATO specs.")

Likewise, the sear also showed evidence of filing and hand fitting, as did the top of the mainspring housing, which BTW, was held into the frame with a hammer pin and not the usual standard grooved pin found on 1911s. More quality craftsmanship.

The thumb safety, while a casting as well, worked crisply and securely, and did not show evidence of hand fitting. The shaft, however, was .007" undersize, thus allowing the excess play in the grip safety mentioned above.

I solved all the problems by replacing the hammer, sear, disconnector, grip safety, thumb safety and mainspring housing pin with factory Colt parts, all of which, to the credit of the frame, went in with no problems.

The slide no longer hangs up on the disconnector, the trigger pull has improved 1000%, the grip safety no longer "wobbles" in the frame, and the mainspring housing is now properly retained with a grooved pin.

To be honest, the Philippines made Armscor guns I have handled are better than this POS. Unless you have a stockpile of 1911 parts, I would advise that you stay away from the Regent 100.

I just find it disappointing that the American Rifleman, supposedly the icon of the gun world, allows themselves to be bought off by advertisers and prints misleading descriptions of this kind of garbage.

Last edited by gyvel; January 26, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 26, 2011, 05:19 AM   #2
Rugerismisticness

Thanks for the update, for budget 1911s I look to Taurus, then Metro arms, and Armscor.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
H.W. French

Rifleman

Have you ever seen a bad review in AR? I'm a member and that magazine is a rag.
French
Old January 26, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
C Philip

A magazine's main source in income is advertisements, not reader subscriptions. They also don't usually buy the guns they test, they are sent to them by the gun manufacturers. This presents two issues.

First, it's possible that the gun manufactures make sure the gun they send for review is the best of the production run and not just a random sample.

Second, if the magazine gave bad reviews what do you think would happen? Companies would stop sending them firearms because there is a chance that they could end up paying for a bad advertisement. This would result in the magazine having to purchase the guns themselves, in addition to losing some advertising money. Not a good business move.

That's why I look for real reviews on forums like this one, where the reviewers are usually unbiased and you can get a picture of a much larger sample of product, rather than one gun that was specially selected for review.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
teeroux

I got to handle on at the local shop and it was the exact opposite of what you describe. Some of the best fitting I've seen and it had a nice trigger. It put a lot of more expensive pistols to lower than a snake shame including the Springfield Loaded Combat I currently have. If I hadn't just bought my Rock Island at the time I would have snatched it in a heart beat.

But hey mabe it was just a matter of time it being made in Turkey?
Old January 26, 2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Icopy1

Sorry for your experience. At least the frame was in spec.

I am a NRA member and I do not put much credibility in the gun reviews in AR. They are notorious for giving every gun a good review. There are very few gun mags that give honest reviews, even at the risk of upsetting the advertisers.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
therewolf

Thanks, OP.

IMO an objective and well written post.

We see and hear so much about so many 1911s these days, it's hard to see the forest for the trees.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:44 PM   #8
voyager4520

Thanks for the review. I can't remember the last time a gun magazine gave a gun a bad review.

Try a Philippine-made 1911 such as Rock Island Armory, Charles Daly, Armscor.
Old January 26, 2011, 07:26 PM   #9
sousana

I said pretty much the same thing in the 1911 forum after looking at one at a gunshow where by simply handling the weapon the finish rubbed off onto my thumb.
(Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he chooses to avoid it)
Old January 26, 2011, 07:49 PM   #10
DannySeesUSMC

Sorry to hear about this.

I have a couple buddies who are writers/editors in firearms and outdoors magazines, people are pretty much right on when it comes to how things are done. They are fun to look at, and definitely fun to work for, but I trust feedback from dozens on the forums and thoughts of the trainers/consultants much, much more.

When I was very young I was always told not to buy any firearms new to the market. I think that and going mid-level (i.e. $700 minimum for a 1911, $500 for a polymer 9mm) at the lowest seems to work out well for most people.

In general with people so full of it, in magazines and the forums, if you can't find/request real honest-to-goodness expert opinion on the gun that appeals to you - pay attention for the people who have well over 2,000rds. through it. If there is a bunch of them who give the pistol very high remarks, and most of their posts show decent to excellent firearms knowledge, then it's ok to put down some money for it.

Too many companies going for quick cash and/or using us for guinea pigs these days.
Old January 26, 2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Magyar

Quote:
Have you ever seen a bad review in AR?
They didn't help much with their sterling review of the early M-16's decades ago. Too bad it influenced politicians/High Brass to the extent that harmed our soldiers in the field. For those that are unaware, they were jamomatics in Nam...
Old January 26, 2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Don P

Glad the OP didn't sugar coat anything like the rags do
Old January 26, 2011, 09:04 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
Have you ever seen a bad review in AR? I'm a member and that magazine is a rag.
French
Actually...

The review in the latest American Rifleman, of the Remington 1911, had a couple lines that made me go "hmmmm". Perhaps a backhanded way of saying their sample gun wasn't the best budget 1911.

Quote:
"I saw no evidence that either of the two specimens I had for evaluation was hand-fitted or -finished. They had rather heavy trigger pulls ..."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 26, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:14 PM   #14
SPUSCG

AR's special on .380 pocket pistols showed all except the high end robargh as jamming, failing to go into battery, etc.

But then there MR1 carbine review showed it getting 2.5-3 moa and only having 200 through it and it was suddenly the ultimate home defense carbine.

Its a mix in any gun rag. Im wondering, do manufacturers send them a gun, or do they go through a distributor? Cause if its direct from manufacturer then there probably sending their best possible gun to be reviewed and doing a little extra inspection.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:38 PM   #15
B.N.Real

Rock Island Armory,Springfields or other 1911's for me.

Your review is enough to make me look past anything Regent-thanks for the warning.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:43 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

The only magazine reviews I have given any credence to have been those from Gun Tests. They have no advertising, and buy the guns they test themselves. No outside influence from manufacturers advertising money.
Lately, I have even questioned some of their credibility.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 30, 2011, 09:54 PM   #17
PT-92

If you google the Regent 1911, you will be hard pressed to find one negative review of this gun, so it's not just an AR thing.

My view is that there are lemons of any product in any lot of anything.

When I first saw this thread, in fact, I was taken aghast as I have fired this particular model and felt it was rock-solid, in particular, in this price-range.

-Cheers
Old January 30, 2011, 09:58 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Have you ever seen a bad review in AR? I'm a member and that magazine is a rag."

The reason you won't see a bad review in American Rifleman is because bad guns are NOT reviewed in the first place.

I worked for Rifleman for 3.5 years in the early 1990s.

Guns that failed basic function firing were returned to the manufacturer sans review.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:00 PM   #19
SPUSCG

They will hype a gun though.....like the judge.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:03 PM   #20
KyJim

Quote:
The reason you won't see a bad review in American Rifleman is because bad guns are NOT reviewed in the first place. . . .

Guns that failed basic function firing were returned to the manufacturer sans review.
I have never been very critical of the gun mags as one has to learn how to read them. However, it seems to me that not reviewing failed guns is a disservice to the shooting public. After all, sometimes it's important to know what gun(s) to avoid.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:51 PM   #21
bravo124

I have one. Paid $400.00 out the door. The frame and slide feel solid and have a good finish. The barrel also appears to be nice. It shoots well. I've had it out a half a dozen times and it performed well. I'd say that there is about a thousand rounds through it. After reading your post, I tore it down and you're right. the internals appear less than desirable. Should I leave it be or start changing things out? I have some spare parts, but not everything. Question two is: After putting in all Colt internals and testing it out, would it now be considered a nice gun ?
Old September 3, 2011, 02:23 PM   #22
vtstik

My Regent R100 is an excellent gun

I just purchased a Regent R100 and have put almost 600 round through it in the last few weeks, i had 2 jams initially in the first 50 rounds i put through it(funny, it jammed every 21st round on the number). I was using rounds made in the PI, so I changed to ammo made in the US. No more problems. The gun is very accurate, more accurate i think than the shooter, and the trigger is very very nice, given that I only paid $425 for it, I was surprised at how well the gun was made and how well it has responded.

This weekend I'm gonna put it through the paces some more, with about 500 rounds of russian ammo i got on sale for $150 bucks, and several boxes of hollow points (have only been shooting ball up until now).

While I am sure that when you are dealing with low priced guns, you sometimes get lemons, but I wanted to share my experience with the R100 so that people might have another viewpoint.
Old September 3, 2011, 02:37 PM   #23
Sarge

Thanks for the heads-up gyvel. Like you I have built or rebuilt a few 1911s and I have seen exactly the type of low QC in a number of new 1911s, from manufacturers whose names you would recognize.

Most outfits are making them to sell, obviously with little concern about how well-or how long-they run after the sale.
Old September 3, 2011, 02:53 PM   #24
sousana

VTSTIK--How well is the finish on yours holding up?
(Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he chooses to avoid it)
Old September 3, 2011, 03:20 PM   #25
taurus4life

yeah gun-tests is the only magazine i will even begin to believe when it comes to reviews on guns and equipment.
Closed Thread