The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Are ninja belts useful in real life? (ccw only, not police work related)
Yes, and you have to have double everything 2 3.28%
Yes, but you generally dont need double of everything 10 16.39%
No, its a waste of time and energy 49 80.33%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25, 2011, 07:37 AM   #1
BGutzman

Any point to a Batman Belt?

Every so often I hear one person or another who claims they carry two pistols, two phones/cameras, two flashlights, a folding baton, some mace and heaven knows what else. (not related to police patrol work)

I think some of these mall ninja's are ready for a invasion by some movie style villain but I cant honestly see any use for carrying all this stuff other than to say "I have all this stuff".

Is there truly any point to it and has anyone ever even used half of it in a SD situation? I would think this would be fertile ground for a prosecutor to come up with something bad on a ccw carrier...

Last edited by BGutzman; January 25, 2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old January 25, 2011, 07:43 AM   #2
alloy

Not for me, too much crap just keeping up with a wallet and keys, but I do kind of like the idea posted before of keeping a belt or vest near the bed, or in a particular room, with all the Batman gear on it just in case a person ever gets forced into a late nite Blair Witch scenario while they are trying to relax.
Old January 25, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
BlueTrain

Frankly I don't know of anyone who has such things, although I've seen one or two who were obviously armed. People who go in for things like that probably like to think of themselves as survivalists but a true survivalist will manage to get along without them.

Of course those of us who don't go to the movies or watch much TV haven't a clue, do we?
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 25, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
LordTio3

Batman's belt is useful for fighting crime. I don't fight crime. I avoid it and defend myself against it as it becomes necessary.

For those who think they need 2 of everything, I have to wonder if they are really trained to use any of it. I mean, it's not that difficult to swing a metal stick; but if you have a baton, do you really need mace, etc...? Why don't you just pick one or two potentially very useful tools and train to get VERY proficient with them. Then you don't really need 500 things on your belt because your dexterity with your 1 or 2 chosen tools will aid you in the vast majority of situations and circumstances.

Remember the adage, "Fear the man with one gun?" Well, that whole nutshell.

~LT
Old January 25, 2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

For me, no, it isn't useful. One CCW, my cell phone and perhaps a reload if I feel froggy. Most of the time I don't feel froggy.
Old January 25, 2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Skans

Pictures????? What's a "Batman Belt"?
Old January 25, 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
MW surveyor

Leave the police work for the police. If I need more than 19 rounds, I shouldn't have been there to begin with.
Old January 25, 2011, 09:40 AM   #8
shortwave

posted by LordTio3:
Quote:
Batmans belt is useful for fighting crime. I don't fight crime. I avoid it and defend myself against it as it becomes necessary.
+1

Too, ask any LEO the health issue's involved with 'a life' of carrying an extra 20lbs. around your waste everyday for years. Takes its toll on lower back,hips, legs etc.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:32 AM   #9
BGutzman

Sorry I dont own the stuff to put on a display Batman belt.... Im sure someone lurking on this forum does however...
Old January 25, 2011, 11:11 AM   #10
egor20

MW surveyor

Leave the police work for the police. If I need more than 19 rounds, I shouldn't have been there to begin with.

+1
Lately I've found myself slipping my folding knife into a double magazine holder rather than carrying 2 mags and a separate belt sheath.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 25, 2011, 12:46 PM   #11
RickB

I never wear more than a gun on the belt, but rifling through my pockets, if I'm wearing a coat, I can come up with a swiss army knife, "tactical folder", P-38 can opener, Surefire light, cigarette lighter, cell phone, and maybe some lip balm. If I 'm going to the mall, I top it off with a molon labe hat.
Old January 25, 2011, 01:58 PM   #12
BGutzman

The closest I come is I almost always have two spare mags and I carry a bandage that is suppose to stop severe bleeding. (its got some sort of volcanic rock in it thats suppose to work well, hope I never have to try it.)

Mn requires that in a ccw situation the BG is rended aid after the situation is resolved. My though is either the BG is going down or were both going down and in either case being able to slow the rate of blood loss would be a plus.

Still I dont carry anything else and I just cant see a reason for so much gear other than to say look at all this stuff I carry.

I just dont see an assault by BG's requiring this level of preparedness and even if you had several BG's engaging you there would be little time to go digging for mace or a flashlight or some baton.

I can also see how if you end up loosing your balance for any reason how some of these items could be a danger to yourself or at least make the landing even less forgiving
Old January 25, 2011, 02:19 PM   #13
BlueTrain

I think you might be the first one to admit to carrying first aid things.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:05 PM   #14
MLeake

A Batman belt might be over the top...

... but then again, I tend to go with cargo pants most of the time.

I usually have my primary CCW (usually a CBOB .45), with a spare magazine; sometimes, it's accompanied by a PM9 or 442 in one of my pockets (though this is usually in cold weather, with the BUG in an outer coat pocket for ease of access).

I also normally have a knife of some sort or another, which is a habit I picked up as an 8 year old in Maine (Swiss Army back then; Leatherman these days, and often a folder of some kind).

Add a flashlight to the mix (the light switches in my carport/basement entry are NOT well placed, so I need the light when I get home after dark; besides, lights come in handy elsewhere with some frequency).

Now throw in a cell phone (I think it's an absolute necessity to have a phone, if I'm carrying a weapon; if the weapon needs to be used, an immediate 911 call is in order).

Of course, a wallet of some kind is required, for DL, CHP, etc.

Looked at in the aggregate, a Batbelt doesn't seem that outrageous. I know I end up with very little room to spare in my pockets, using a normal belt/rig.

Oh, as far as first aid goes, I don't carry first aid gear on my person, normally. But I do have kits in my truck, and in my range and hunting bags. I also have a fire extinguisher in my truck.

Hope all this doesn't qualify me for a tin-foil hat...
Old January 25, 2011, 09:36 PM   #15
blackspyder

I have a "bat belt" I wear when hunting or at the outdoor firing range. I consists of dropleg holster for my PT92, room for 4 extra pistol mags (one is used for a flashlight), hunting knife, and a pouch for 2 extra Rem. 750 30-06 mags. In real life my PT11 is IWB, spare mag in the pants pocket, some form of knife is somewhere on my body ( either the tacti-tool SOG, or one of my many Kershaws) and thats it
Old January 25, 2011, 10:01 PM   #16
rellik74

one gun a revolver

one knife, assisted opening

one phone

sometimes a reload

Keep it simple
Old January 25, 2011, 11:47 PM   #17
Hog Buster

Any point to a Batman Belt?........ Maybe it keeps his leotards up?.......
Old January 26, 2011, 12:50 AM   #18
Webleymkv

About as "Batman" as I ever get is a revolver, double speedloader pouch, cell phone in a case, and a fixed-blade knife on my belt with my other accouterments (keys, wallet, pen, lighter, folding knife) in my pockets. More often, it's a revolver and cell phone with a speedstrip and other accourterments in my pockets or just the cell phone on the belt with a revolver in one pocket and a speedstrip and other accouterments in other pockets.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:15 AM   #19
Crankylove

No point to it for me. I carry one pistol, sometimes (but not very often) a spare mag stuffed in my back pocket, and a 1 1/2" folding pocket knife.........I am not trying to fight WWIII.........I just need to make it the gas station and back with my PBR.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:32 PM   #20
Jamie B

Yes to cargo pants.

Batman belts are just for...........Batman.
Old January 26, 2011, 05:26 PM   #21
markj

I wore one of them.

When I was like 5 in the 60s, had the whole outfit. Boy I was so kewl running around with that cape flapping behind me. My little brother was robin

the boomerang bat got me in a lot of trouble tho...
Old January 26, 2011, 06:21 PM   #22
SPEMack618

I carry a Glock 21 IWB, a spare mag rides in a pocket, along with wallet, cell phone, small Swiss Army Knife, ink pen, and keys.

In the truck, I generally have a fire extingusiher, a pretty serious first aid kit, tool bag, Mossberg 590, spare clothes, flash light, etc. etc.

So does that make my Silverado the BatMobile?
Old January 26, 2011, 07:03 PM   #23
BGutzman

You have the lead so far my friend.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:21 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

I carry a P32 in my pocket, plus nail clippers, penknife, keys, and a tiny keychain flashlight that is brighter than most full sized lights. Not enough to get me into superhero territory.
Guys like "stuff." It seems like a lot of them don't like to leave their toys at home.
I have more "stuff" than most guys, but if I tried to take it with me it would require a very large truck!
Old January 26, 2011, 08:32 PM   #25
SPEMack618

Guys indeed like stuff. And most guys I know, now granted my circle of friends runs the gamut of Eagle Scouts from Troop, old CAP buddies, old NJROTC buddies, National Guard buddies, and some of my fraternity brothers with like backgrounds, like to Be Prepared. An ex-girlfriend of mine once referred to my Silverado as a rolling toolbox with guns. A bit of an exageration, but not too far off.

I find myself simply not wanting to be very far from some critical pieces of equipment when I leave the house. The truck is a convient place to keep it all.

Am I anticipating the collapse of western civilization every time I go down the street for Miller High Life? No, but am I anticipating car trouble, coming across an accident, or possibly getting mugged. You betcha.

Tags
belt , equipment , mall , ninja