The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2011, 04:24 AM   #1
SVO

S&W Mod 17/617 Questions

I have this S&W .22 LR pistol I bought used that I have a couple of questions about. When I bought it, I thought I was getting a stainless steel Model 617. After I got it home and cleaned it, I noticed that inside the crane recess it is stamped "mod 17-5". The other thing is a buddy has a 617 and it has a 10 round cylinder while mine has a 6 round cylinder. Looking at the S&W website, they list the Model 17 with a 6 round cylinder and the 617 with a 10 round cylinder. So my questions is did some of the model 617's come with 6 round cylinders and now with 10 round cylinders? The gun looks to be stainless and not a nickle finish, so is the "mod 17-5" just a factory mis-stamp? Serial number stamped on the butt of the gun and in the crane recess is "AYW18xx". Also stamped in smaller letters on the crane and under the left hand grip panel is "2 7 116". Would this be a shop or work number to keep the pieces matched up after fitting? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4040.JPG (95.0 KB, 111 views)
Old January 21, 2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Buzzcook

Yes they made six round 617s. I have one and like the heck out of it.

The model 17 was/is a blued gun.

Don't worry just shoot the thing.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:39 AM   #3
shortwave

Another question on the 617. Some were 6 shot while some were 10. Are the cyls. interchangeable?
Old January 21, 2011, 08:34 AM   #4
FlyFish

Quote:
Another question on the 617. Some were 6 shot while some were 10. Are the cyls. interchangeable?
No, the timing would be different for a 6-shot vs. 10-shot cylinder.
Old January 21, 2011, 04:15 PM   #5
22-rimfire

You have a Model 17. The Model 617's have the underlug. I don't know how you would miss that. Early M617's came with a 6-round cylinder. The M17's never had a 10-round cylinder that I am aware of. I like the 6-round cylinders myself.
Old January 21, 2011, 05:32 PM   #6
curt.45

your 17 is an older Smith, I like them better than the new 617's

(had a 617 and sold it)

I don't know what you paid for it but if you decide to sell it (you could probably get your money back on here as a lot of peopel like the 17's) don't let it go for less then what you paid.

now go get a .357 amd a .44 to match it!
Old January 21, 2011, 05:47 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

.357 amd a .44?

Quote:
now go get a .357 amd a .44 to match it!
Actually, the companion to the Model 17 is (was) the Model 14 in .38 Special,,,
It was called the K-38 Masterpiece.

I do know there was also a K-32 Masterpiece (model 16?),,,
I saw a picture here of a K-22, a K-32, and a K-38 as a matched set.

I think it was Mike Irwin who posted the pic,,,
If so, maybe he'll post that pretty picture again.

There is (was) the Model 19 in .357 Magnum,,,
It was also a K-frame like the Model 14/17 guns.

I'm not sure if there was ever a direct companion in .44,,,
I kinda doubt it as a K-frame wasn't designed for a large bore.

There was one (or more) revolvers that were called 38/44,,,
IIRC that meant a .38 special chamber but on a heavier .44 frame.

I could easily have that wrong though so don't quote me

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 22, 2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wasn't me, I THINK those might have been HammerIt's guns.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:29 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I have a model 17-6, and its a blued gun, 6" barrel with full underlug. 6 shot cylinder. Target trigger and hammer. All steel and wood. Also no lock!

I have seen some 10 shot blued guns (mod 17s, I think) that have aluminium cylinders, and a lock.

Its pretty difficult to mistake a stainless gun for a blued one, so I doubt that its a factory mis-stamp, unless the mis-stamp is not stamping the "6" to make it a 617. Take a good look at the marking, see if there is a space where the 6 might go. If so, it might be that the 6 didn't strike hard enough to mark the frame?

Not a S&W expert, so I just guessing, but Smith has used a 6 to start the model number of all their stainless guns for decades.

On the other hand, one of the things that makes S&W collectors happy is that there have been so many variation of "standard" that nearly anything is possible.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:42 PM   #10
armabill

The earlier 617's came with an aluminum cylinder and then later with a steel one.
Old January 23, 2011, 11:31 PM   #11
SVO

@ 44 AMP - The gun is definately not a blue finish, which is why I was questioning the "mod 17-5". I looked at the stamping with a magnifying glass and see no weak stamped "6". On the spacing of the numbers, there is room for a "6", which would butt the "6" up against the "mod" stamping (i.e. mod617-5). I'm guessing that S&W mis-stamped it. Not that it matters that much. It also doesn't have the internal lock.

@armabill - The cylinder isn't light enough to be aluminum.

@ Curt 45 - It has plenty of other S&W to keep it company in the gun safe.

@arondhgraham - For a .22LR, it's feels heavy enough to be a N frame.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old January 24, 2011, 12:26 AM   #12
Duke City Six

Hmm. Interesting. I was puzzled by this. As 22-rimfire suggested, a 617 should have a full underlug. So, if it's not blue, are you sure that it isn't a 17 in nickel?

Well, just in case it isn't, and as you suggest, it is mis-stamped, I did a little research. If what I read was correct, it turns out that an outfit called "Ashland Shooters" special ordered some six-inch 617s with no underlug. I think they had Patridge sights. If this is one of those, it might be pretty rare indeed, because according to my reading, they only made 116 of them.

Edit to add: You could always letter it. In this case, it might be worth it.

Last edited by Duke City Six; January 24, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:53 AM   #13
shortwave

posted by FlyFish:
Quote:
No, the timing would be different in the 6- shot vs. the 10 - shot
Thanks FlyFish.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:11 PM   #14
SVO

@ Duke City Six - I had not thought of getting a factory letter. The previous owner bought it used off of Gunbroker. He didn't like the weight of the gun and offered it up for sale as a stainless gun. I took it to be stainless and not nickle. But comparing it to my Model 624, it doesn't look like the same finish. The finish is more like the electroless nickle finish on a Colt Ace I have. If it is nickle, I would think that would be a seldom seen finish. Comparing it to the 624, it does appear to have the target grips, target trigger, target hammer and has a red front insert sight blade. Of course, some of that could have been added after it left the factory. A factory letter is only $50 and would answer questions. Might give me some braggin' ammo over my buddy's 617.

Thanks for your comments.
Old January 24, 2011, 08:21 PM   #15
B.N.Real

The six shot 617's were made for one reason.

So you could practice cheaply with a handgun that cycled exactly like the larger caliber Smith handguns.

The 10 shot 617's by necessity have their own very quick cycle action-very unlike anything else Smith sells.

I should know,I own a 10 shot stainless 617-outstanding piece of American craftsmenship.

Like holding as Ferrari in your hand if you could do that.
Old January 26, 2011, 03:32 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
I did a little research. If what I read was correct, it turns out that an outfit called "Ashland Shooters" special ordered some six-inch 617s with no underlug. I think they had Patridge sights. If this is one of those, it might be pretty rare indeed, because according to my reading, they only made 116 of them.
There was a large distributor of both Colt and Smith & Wesson firearms retailer located in Ashland, Ohio known as Ashland Shooting Supplies. They have been out of business for a long time. They often had handguns made to their specifications that were unique to their business. It might be worthwhile for the op to request a letter from the Smith factory historian to verify the authenticity and factory provenance of his apparently scarce revolver.
Old January 26, 2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Duke City Six

dgludwig,

Thanks for the info on Ashland. From the OP's last post, it sounds like he has a nickel 17 after all, which is of course much more likely than a mis-stamped, special-ordered 617.

Oh well. It might still be worth a letter.