The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1
RC48

Problem with a Winchester Model 97

After years of storage, I got my Model 97 Out of the Closet to break some clay birds. Although I didn"t remember ever having any previous problems with this gun, it would now occasionally fail to fire.

I noticed that on those occasions the carrier (the block that drops down from the bottom of the action when the action is cycled) had dropped down slightly. I assumed this allowed the action to come out of battery, thus preventing the gun from firing (thankfully).

As I was looking over the action, I noticed that when the action was initially closed it seemed to stay in battery until I apply even the slightest rearward force to the slide. At that point the carrier would move down slightly and the trigger is blocked (will not move rearward).

I found a reference to "the action unlock button" being used to unlock the action in the event the action needs to be opened without firing a chambered round. Could some malfunction related to this mechanism cause the problem that I'm experiencing? What other condition would allow the action to open under the condition that I have described?
Old January 24, 2011, 07:54 AM   #2
olduckhunter

could after years of storage maybe crud has solidified around the firing pin and not letting it go forward every time? maybe a good complete cleaning needed? just guessing.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:28 AM   #3
kirbythegunsmith

Details

Failure to fire may mean failing to drop the hammer.
If the slide never locks, the carrier may drop slightly at the front (partial unlocking) and remove the sear tip from access to the trigger. Then your gun won't fire.
If the hammer does still fall if the carrier has slightly unlocked, the firing pin block may partially or completely block the hammer force transfer to the firing pin and fail to dent or properly dent the primer. Failure to fire.

Your slide unlocking is a clue that you need a gunsmith to fix that issue, anyway.
Then the gunsmith can also check for other related issues, if they are experienced with these old Classic Winchesters, like I am.

Kirby
Articles containing valuable information are on every page.