The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
70extreme

870 problem - help from the experts

I have a new 28" 870. I hunt and shoot clay games with it. One problem. I have found that I am slower on the mount than I would like with this gun. I am 5' 9". Because my weak hand is so far extended on the forend to operate the pump, I have to extend my arms to the maximum degree first to get the buttstock to clear my clothes, then mount it on my shoulder. Duck hunting is even worse when I have bulky clothes.

I am considering a youth stock. But, I am not sure if that will create a new set of problems putting my face to close on the gun. This is a hunting gun.

Any suggestions?
Old January 17, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2
rantingredneck

You're on the right track. It sounds as if the LOP is just too long for you, which makes sense given your dimensions. The 870 as it comes out of the box is about right for me and I'm 6 feet tall with monkey arms (37 1/2" sleeve).

Is your present stock wood or synthetic? If it's wood you can have someone knowledgeable about shotgun fit to cut it to the proper length and put a grind to fit recoil pad in place for you.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 17, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Find a Youth model in a gun shop and see how it feels.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:11 PM   #4
HKGuns

Dump the pump and get a Semi. I'm 5'5" and I have no issues with 28" barreled semi's.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5
S_Constitutionist

Ranting Redneck is right on. If your gun have a removable recoil pad, trying pulling it off and shouldering it just for feel of fit. If that feels right, either have someone cut it down for you or do it yourself. Make sure to test each increment at the patterning board. You'll be surprised at how much even small adjustments change things.

HKGuns, I am glad you found a shotgun that works for you. However, stocks come in a wide range of sizes depending on the make and type. Action type has little or nothing to do with how a gun fits you.

A guy by the name of Rollin Oswald wrote a great good about stock fitting. I highly recommend it.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:59 PM   #6
zippy13

FYI: Remington's Country Store Parts Close Out has several 870 youth stocks offered for $14.00!
Old January 17, 2011, 04:50 PM   #7
pabuckslayer08

For 14 bucks just get it and try it is what Id do
Old January 17, 2011, 05:33 PM   #8
redrick

If it's wood you can have it cut down.

If it's syn. you can get a youth stock and a LOP kit. This will let you adjust the LOP from 13" to 14" by adding spacers.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:05 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Synthetic stocks can be cut down up to about an inch with little difficulty. I bought my 870 thinking I may have to shave as much as an inch. I beileve thay can be further reduced but that may require fitting some kind of anchor. Do a google on it and you will find much and somewhere there are pictures. If you think you need to shorten it by more than an inch, my sruthers would be the $14 stock. I like the suggestion some made to check the fit with the recoil pad removed.