The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old January 14, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

converting a full into semi

saying one had a full auto , registered ect . if you converted it back into a semi would you still have to go thru the paper work for a sale ?
Old January 14, 2011, 12:11 PM   #2
musher

According to the traditional position of the ATF, converting to a semi does not make it not a machine gun, therefore you would need to transfer on the appropriate form.

On the other hand, I heard a story about an AR type being taken off the registry because it was semi-only.

The obvious question is why you would want to do this. A transferable machine gun is typically worth at least an order of magnitude more than the same gun in semi auto because of the market restrictions.

Even if what you proposed could be done, your customer couldn't switch it back to full auto.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Technosavant

The ATF's usual stance is "once a full auto, always a full auto." Doesn't matter if you pull the parts and weld the receiver to prevent it, it's still a full auto. About the only way around it is a full de-milling.

If a firearm is a transferrable FA, I don't know why you'd nuke the investment by doing this. If it isn't transferrable, you're going to need to either render it so it isn't a firearm anymore or swap enough parts (incl. the receiver) so that it is a "new" semiauto built off a parts kit.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Convert a registered full auto to semi?

Slap your self in the face. Do it now.

No. As far as the ATF sees it. "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun." The only way to make a F/A into a S/A is by torch cutting the receiver into three pieces and using the rest of the parts to build a new (semi auto only) gun on a new receiver.

There are some folks that are in the buisnes of taking post-sample F/A MP5s and cutting them up and building S/A MP5 short barreled rifles.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; January 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:56 PM   #5
boatmonkey82

not sayin i would ever do such a thing , just way to bypass and under the radar type thing . One of my 'look up to' friends , old mercruiser mechanic may have some toys left over from the good ol days . sure i could buy from cheap . some things you just dont ask too much about till the time is right . I know many of you live in places where you can not shoot out your bathroom window but i do . We have many many friends in law enforcement who could careless what you have and want to know when they can play with it . I live in a very gun friendly area . 'and yes i have plinked while plunking on my throne . lmfao . its fun you should try it some time .also not sayin i do have anything but if i did . when you set off 5lbs of tannerite and no one batts an eye you live in a good place
Old January 14, 2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Every time you make posts like that, I say to my self... "Self, this guy is a Fed, a fool, or a troll."

I'm done here. You can make your insinuations about obtaining illegal weapons on your own.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:49 PM   #7
boatmonkey82

no i was insuating that not every one is a uptight teeth grinding gun owner . I live in a very lax , low crime terrorist hating buy in the usa only area . nfa items with out papers is illegal , so is speeding , tweaking your taxes , maybe a lil puff puff , last but not least , not using your turn signal . If a person here was too have such items most law enforcment in this area would be the first to want to shoot . Most do not know enough about the nfa items to do anything nor do they care . I just cant get over how up tight you folks get on this site when talking about such items , most of you act like pure talking about it it a fed crime . Its the internet ! Yea I have 4 sets of 100th anniversary colt 1911 and 2 crates full of uzis and i carry a colt python every where i go . You have no means to prove different . If the feds read such post as this then be my guest to search my home , i promise it would be a waste of time . You dont have to worry about the guy braggin about somthing. You need to worry about the guy buy 100lbs of A.N to make anfo and linked ammo. No one here is talking or asking HOW to convert INTO . This use to be a good site but I think the liberals are taking over sometimes . Most of us love our 2nd but I can also exercise my 1st . My o.p was if i were to buy such items could they be converted into semi and avoid paper work or paranoia . I take my lil taurus every where , do i have a carry permit ? hell no , dont want one . do i conceal when i go into wally world ? yes , its under the seat , oh wait thats a no no maybe i should not talk about it . do i tell the l.eo when i get pulled or go thru a check points ? yes , i call them by their first name and tell them it loaded and ready , do they care or ask my permit ? no . My point was that if i could get such items for way way under market price then why not ? convert to semi and go play ? Not every one here cares about gun values or getting a loan for ammo to fire in full auto. If it shoots and it pisses off the liberals then i love it .
Old January 14, 2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Skans

You cannot convert a full-auto back to a semi-auto. Mechanically, yes you can...legally, in the US it's impossible.
Old January 14, 2011, 08:02 PM   #9
chasep255

Well if he is a fed would it even be illegal to tell someone how to convert to FA?
Old January 14, 2011, 10:19 PM   #10
boatmonkey82

shhhhhhhh! you cant say full auto on here
Old January 14, 2011, 10:49 PM   #11
medalguy

OP's question has been answered. Time to lock this thrad.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:05 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Question asked, and answered. This one is done.