The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Thread Tools
Old January 13, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Paul K
Senior Member
Join Date: February 27, 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 674
Selling my gun. Is this legal?

Brothers and Sisters of the Revolution,

I think what I am doing is legal, but I just want to double check with some of you. I am selling my Barrett M82 .50 cal. I live in MI, and this guy that made me the offer lives in Illinois (RIGHT away when he said that a red flag went up in my head). He lives in the south of Illinois- west of Springfield, so no Chicago. Really nice guy.

So, instead of shipping this gun, I figure why not drive it down? A very, very, good friend of mine lives a few hours away- I can make a trip out of it. Plus, there is a lot of money at stake here.

The plan is to drive it down and meet at the FFL dealer to do the transfer. Here is the question- Is it OK to drive in the state of Illinois with a 50 caliber semi-automatic sniper rifle in the back of the car or is this a bad idea? I know Illinois has terrible gun laws and I don’t want to get caught up in that jive turkey.
Paul K is offline  
Old January 13, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: December 19, 2008
Location: milton, wv
Posts: 3,640
You can transport your gun to another state...yes... but.. I wouldnt tell them if you get stopped that your taking it to someone to sell it... Just tell them its my gun...and im driving..Then you can transfer it with someone who holds a valid FFL yes.
Desert Eagle Alliance Group Launcher Extraordinaire ______
----Get Busy Live'n.....Or....Get Busy Die'n......Red
-------They call me Dr. Bob,,,, I have a PhD in S&W
DiscoRacing is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: June 24, 2008
Posts: 1,709
What you describe isn't against FEDERAL law. I have no idea what Illinois law regarding 50 cal rifles might be, but I suggest you call the IL FFL and see if he is willing to do the transfer before you travel.
natman is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: September 9, 2006
Posts: 424
Natman's got a great point.

Illinois has some of the country's most restrictive firearms regulations in the eastern US. I would definitely recommend avoiding Cook County at all costs. Indiana is gun friendly .

This link addresses the issue of non-residents transporting guns. (scroll down)

I can't find any data on Caliber restrictions. A call to the Illinois State Police would answer that.
1911rocks is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: November 9, 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 135
i cant see why it would be illegal, but as stated, if you get pulled over for any reason, i wouldnt mention going to sell it. i would guess your friend has some land, and you are going to enjoy it.
boredom is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: January 19, 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 1,162
It's your rifle. Transport is perfectly legal.

P.S. How much?
It's a trick. Get an axe.
goodspeed(TPF) is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: December 29, 2004
Posts: 3,342
Illinois has some of the country's most restrictive firearms regulations in the eastern US.
Illinois is pretty far from being in the "eastern US."

It is usually grouped in the mid-west.
brickeyee is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 09:53 PM   #8
44 AMP
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 13,573
Doesn't IL require a FOID? And you aren't a resident. Fed law protects you transporting thru the state, providing your guns are legal where you are going, and you don't make un-necessary stops. IL law may not.

This is tricksy, because I am not familiar with IL laws. You need to talk to someone who is. The FFL doing the transfer should be able to tell you what you can, and cannot do, under IL law.

Good Luck.
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is offline  
Old January 14, 2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: August 19, 2007
Location: Montmorency Co, MI
Posts: 1,187
Another, better option, in my opinion, would be to let the buyer come to your FFL and do the transfer.
langenc is offline  
Old January 15, 2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Paul K
Senior Member
Join Date: February 27, 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 674
From what it looks like, I can possess this rifle without an FOID because I am not a resident of IL. I may even just go though Indiana just to be safe...
Paul K is offline  
Old January 15, 2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Senior Member
Join Date: May 29, 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO area
Posts: 3,972
Transport is legal. Make sure the firearm is unloaded, cased, and placed in a part of the vehicle where you can't reach it while driving.

I've driven a gun to a FFL in IL for transfer before. Perfectly legal. And to my knowledge, .50 cal is legal in IL.
Technosavant is offline  
Old January 15, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: August 13, 2001
Location: central IL
Posts: 548
Techno is correct. I will quote: "Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms: 1. Unloaded, and 2. Enclosed in a case, and 3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."
cecILL is offline  
Old January 15, 2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,293
I would research this but for some reason it sticks out in my mind that maybe .50 cal weapons are banned in Illinois. I am going to do some digging myself but you may wish to check into it yourself. I am be thinking of a Chicago or cook county only law.
Patriot86 is offline  
Old January 15, 2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Location: Communist State of IL.
Posts: 1,428
As it is right now you can own a .50 cal but, they are still trying to ban it and owning ammo for one as well. It's been going on for years so until they pass it your good to go!
NRA Life Member, SAF Member A Veteran owned Business.
Xfire68 is offline  
Old January 16, 2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Senior Member
Join Date: January 26, 2009
Posts: 654
You can legally ship (UPS) all of the gun to the FFL dealer in Illinois. Let UPS deal with it. You don't even need to take the trip. I'd get insurance in case of loss.
dlb435 is offline  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2015 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07593 seconds with 7 queries