The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

1911 beaver tails and combat hammer

What would fit on my gun, drop in? Brownells.com has some pretty nice looking one, but I have NO IDEA how to customize this thing. A buddy is doing it for me I just have to buy the parts. I'm ready with a Credit Card and all. I just need help..

Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1130010.jpg (236.1 KB, 120 views)
Old January 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #2
twhidd

The frame radius of the Springfield Mil-Spec is .220". You need one that will fit that size. Be aware that some of the drop-ins that are out there don't always look the best when installed.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
astorbilt

Nice 1911.
Make sure you buy a beaver tail grip safety that requires no modification to your frame. Read the descriptions to find one. It will have a slot for clearing a combat hammer. Then on to safety and sights!
Good luck.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Nice safety and sights? mmmmmaybe!

.220? I gotta check that out, I think I saw something on that. Some of them don't look good? I bet no way I can tell unless I'm holding onto it though "/ gunshow this weekend though. Maybe I'll just look there. But I have to stock up on some ammo this gun show for the range. I'm low.

I wanna add the beaver tail, combat hammer, and trigger with the three holes in it....Don't know what that's for, but it's aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

hmm?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=3...e_Govt__Safety
Old January 13, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6
RickB

Springfield Mil-Specs are not cut on a radius. S&A makes a beavertail for Springfields that requires cutting the frame on a .220" radius for proper fit. The sort-of industry standard is a .250" radius, but Springfields don't have enough meat in the frame for a proper fit, so S&A developed one that would provide a good fit AFTER cutting and blending. The old Wilson/Clark beavertails will also allow for a proper fit after cutting and blending. Replacing the hammer may also require refitting or replacing the thumb safety.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:47 AM   #7
tommyboy

i have an ed brown and it basically droped in on one of my 1911a1 s from springfield and it looks soo good that i am gonna put one on the other springfielsd i just bought today.
i love the wilson highride that requires frame alteration but it is very labor intensive and time consuming.plus if you dont know what you are doing and you file a little too much it will never look just right.
the wilson drop in just doesnt look right.i have one on my carry ss colt officer 1911 reight now and am gonna change to the wilson highride when i get the time.
and none of them are drop in,you still have to fill the arm toengage the trigger bow and disingage freely.
make sure your buddy knows what he id doing because installing wrong can dissable your safet or ruin the part you just spent your money on.
good luck with the build,we want more pics when it is done.

Last edited by tommyboy; January 14, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:50 AM   #8
tommyboy

the 3 holes in the trigger are to lighten the trigger and prevent trigger bounce causing a negligent discharge.but you have to have like a 1lb trigger pull for that to be a real concern.and yes they do look nice which is plenty reason to get one.
Old January 14, 2011, 10:22 AM   #9
rptrower

Wilson has some GS advertised as drop-in however there is a problem with that.
Wilson Gov. GS drop-in. Notice the 3/16" gap between the frame tangs & the GS.

Wilson Commander GS, requires filling of the GS however no work on the frame.

I used this GS because I did not want to mod the frame incase I decided to return the pistol to original condition.