The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 11, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
danber9546

How many guns do you carry for CCW?

How many guns do you carry on a daily basis for CCW? Is two or more overkill ? What calibers do you prefer? I personally carry an XD-9 SC and I am buying an LCR .38+P. I'll probably buy an LCP or an LC9 before the year ends! I gotta say, I LOVE RUGERS & XD'S!
Old January 11, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
cougar gt-e

We're not allowed to concealed carry any in our state (Taxconsin), home of unreformed taxaholics.

But If I were... one would be plenty. I can't imagine needing extra, but after a dozen years of martial arts, trained situational awareness keeps me from going where super bad trouble lurks. Maybe you need to go where such dire peril is encountered?

If you do decide to carry multiple, get ones that have the EXACT operational mechanism. You can imagine the problems that could occur if you need that back up and your reflexes don't allow you to fire it!
Old January 11, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

Personally I just carry one. My own opinion is that if you feel you need two you're not training enough with the first one.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:00 AM   #4
KyJim

I usually carry one. Simply a balance of inconvenience versus risk.

Quote:
Personally I just carry one. My own opinion is that if you feel you need two you're not training enough with the first one.
Huh? Guns malfunction, weapons get dropped/knocked/taken away.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5
shanzlik

One the vast majority of the time.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Lemmon

Most often just one but have carried a Glock 27 (used to carry a .38 Special until my wife recently claimed it) in the front pocket and a .380 in a wallet holster in the back pocket especially if my (she has a CCW also) is with me.

Lemmon
Old January 12, 2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Biff Tannen

I alwys carry an NAA .22lr derringer in the belt buckle custom carry As my backup.

Primary varies:

- for good city sections where muggers are, i carry a DA-38 double action derringer, chambered in 357, because i'll only get attacked by 2 BGs at the most, and i want to get the job done in one shot, as itsthe city, with innocents everywhere.

- for worse neighborhoods where i might get a couple bigger or badasser BGs, i carry the .380 seecamp, as i might have to hit several shots on one BG, or fire through leather, or i might be outnumbered by 3 or 4 to 1...

- in the bad bad neihborhoods, i carry the police service six, in .357

I guess youve noted im definitely not a semi man, except for the Seecamp, in which case i make the exception! Viva Larry Seecamp!

Last edited by Biff Tannen; January 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Crankylove

Quote:
Is two or more overkill ?
Depends on who you ask...........some would say two is not enough.

I carry one (and allowed by law to carry a single concealed, loaded firearm), and wouldn't carry two if I could. If my brain and one pistol and spare mag (sometimes) isn't enough to keep me safe, another few pounds on the belt isn't going to matter.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Mosin44az

I've never carried more than one. I can see backup guns for cops though.
Old January 12, 2011, 03:45 AM   #10
8shot357

How many guns do you carry for CCW?

No, but I'm not against it. In some places in the World it might be a good idea.
Old January 12, 2011, 04:11 AM   #11
WildBill45

It totally depends on where I am going, or why. A second gun is a daily duty for cops, and for good reason. The same reasons can apply to anyone. A second small gun, mine is a Seacamp .32, it it fits in a shirt pocket even, and it your main is taken, lost while running either at him or away, you are wounded in the arm holding your main gun, it jams or breaks, you get into a fight over the gun and he is holding your first one ... this is the short list for having a small backup with you.

It doesn't matter where you are, as sometimes trouble finds all by itself ... does Arizona last week, or other random shootings in Good(???) places ring a bell... Most folks who think it is a good place where they live, is because they sleep at night while others are out in those Good places catching the bad folks they miss!

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!!
Old January 12, 2011, 07:03 AM   #12
DiscoRacing

I carry two... full sized.. S&W autos..

45acp and .40
Old January 12, 2011, 07:08 AM   #13
iblong

Depends on how you determine carring,I usually have two with me but not always on me.
My P3AT is either in my coat pocket or in the truck center council and either my G27 or 1911 is IWB.If I have a meeting with suits an have to go tucked
I just slip the P3AT in my back pocket and stash my primary untill done.
With one in the counsil you have one ready whe belted in.
I have them so I make use of them.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

I've never felt the need to carry any more than one at a time.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:15 AM   #15
TriumphGuy

Just the one. I carry a pistol with the hopes that I don't need to use it. My daily carry included 10+1 rounds of .40 S&W and I keep an extra mag in my pocket. That's more than enough for a civilian going about my daily routine, unless the Russians decide to invade via Alaska. Even if that happens, it'll be a while until they get over here to the midwest.

If I had to go somewhere that I felt required more than one gun, I'd stay home. If I absolutely had to go to such a dangerous place, gun #1 would be a rifle and gun #2 would be the handgun that I still hope I don't need.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:25 AM   #16
youngunz4life

I carry one in-the-pocket but we have two firearms designated for in-the-pocket(or thats how we carry them), so its no big deal for me to carry two. Many times I just carry one, and my wife has a permit now herself also(she doesn't carry all the time though). I don't see a problem with someone carrying one or two firearms for ccw.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
danber9546

How many for CCW?

Thanks for the replies, guys (or gals)! I was just trying to get a general idea of how many CCWers O_o? out there carry extra guns on them. Now, I don't carry two guns ALL the time, but having a spare has its own advantages! Remember, the first rule of being in a gunfight is: BRING A GUN!

Springfield XD-9SC w/ CTC grip, Ruger LCR .38+P, Glock 29 10mm Auto, Kel-Tec p-32,Smith&Wesson 4006 w/ 3 mags, Rossi 460R .357 Magnum revolver, Hi-Point CF-380, Hi-Point C-9, numerous others
Old January 12, 2011, 11:41 AM   #18
TailGator

I carry one 9 mm IWB and a spare magazine. I don't carry a BUG but I certainly understand those who prefer to do so.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Sixer

I normally keep one on my person (Kahr 380) and one close by (Glock 23) in the vehicle or office. I also have one extra mag for each...

If I have any doubts that those won't do the trick, then it's time to start carrying a rifle

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I carry one and have never wanted or felt the need for more than one, or any reloads or spare anythings.

The discussion of "overkill" or necessity has been had over and over and over....
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:30 PM   #21
triumph666

carry of more than one gun

i carry a glock 22 on my right hip and on my left i carry a Taurus dao 327 revolver....if a gun fails its nice to have a spare, and the revolver is so light i dont even know i'm carrying it...

never say overkill because i have gone to the range with ONE gun and ton of ammo for some target practice and what happens but 5 minutes there and gun messes up to point where i got to go to shop to retrieve more than a screwdriver for repairs....Whole day wasted an i didnt get to shoot but 10 rounds maybe
Old January 12, 2011, 12:33 PM   #22
Archer 9505

One

Old Joke.
A Texas Ranger is at a Barbecue. A party goer ask him, "Why are you carrying a revolver, do you expect trouble?"
His Answer: No, If I was expecting trouble, I would have my Rifle".

If I feel the need to carry more than one CCW, I am either going to stay home or take my rifle.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:52 PM   #23
mrt949

Mouse gun eather a SEECAMP 32 or BERETTA 21A 22LR. In my pocket always .Then a SW J frame or MP 40C .If I go out in the car.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:08 PM   #24
The Great Mahoo

While I do own many carry guns, I only ever carry 1 at a time.

I do usually carry a reload (or more) but rely on my awareness and good habits to keep me safe, rather than pure firepower.

But with returning to school, carrying is somewhat limited these days. Apparently, even though I am legally able to carry in more than half the country, I suddenly become a raging lunatic when I step onto campus grounds and therefore cannot be trusted with my gun
Old January 12, 2011, 06:32 PM   #25
WildBill45

You don't carry a spare magazine to have a lot of rounds, the reason you should carry one with every semi-auto is it is quicker when standing in front of someone to strip and feed the new mag in, than figure out the clearing technique needed under stress!

Tags
ccw , pocket pistols , ruger , springfield xd