The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 11, 2011, 10:32 PM   #26
Ridge_Runner_5

What models do WalMart and Cabelas produce?
Old January 11, 2011, 11:29 PM   #27
Fat White Boy

In 2005 I bought a Winchester Model 70(synthetic stock) in .270 at Walmart. I took off the package scope and added a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40. The second shot out of it went through the same hole as the first. The third was touching the first two. Not bad for a $300 Walmart rifle. My son bought one in .300 Winmag and my friend bought one in .270 Win. All have taken their share of pigs. Hard to beat....
Old January 12, 2011, 12:21 AM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Wal-MART almost always forces manufacturers to create a special version of their lowest end product model so they can sell it cheaper than anyone else
Walmart doesn't force any manufacturers any more than any other company that solicits vendors to make products to particular specs, assuming they do. If the company does not want to cater to Wal-Mart's specs, Wal-Mart can't make them comply. All that happens is that the manufacturer will lose a very important customer.

With that said, Wal-Mart probably does get many or most of the products that they sell at a lower price than anyone else because of economies of scale. With so many stores, Wal-mart probably sells more product than the others. That makes Wal-mart to be the single largest and most important customer of the manufacturer.

It isn't just Wal-Mart that may want manufacturers to make special store brand unique versions. This allows the stores to offer really good sounding price guarentees, refunding the difference in price of the item plus maybe even some bonus additional amount if the customer finds the same product elsewhere for less than what the customer paid. The great refund offered is something of a joke. Customers will not be able to find the same product elsewhere for less money because the product is unique to that particular store brand.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:37 AM   #29
Rob3
Registration in progress

Ruger's website is a great example of manufacturers making exclusive rifles for selected dealers and stores. Just look under the 10/22 section and see how many special runs they are making at any given time. Are the guns different? Yes. Are they made to different quality standards? Doubtful, at least not from Ruger.

I have a Remington 700 that I bought from Walmart in 2003 that is truly a POS. The laminate stock looks like it was finished by 3rd graders, the rear iron sight is canted right to the 1 o'clock position, and none of the bluing matches. I learned to really look at guns after that and not buy on reputation. The sights alone should never have gone through QC. I have never been able to find this model on Remington's website or a catalog. I suspect it was a Walmart special run. I will post pictures of the POS if I can figure out how.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:44 AM   #30
warbirdlover

I've heard that with appliances you get better value going to a Sears or Best Buy then Walmart or Menard's. The factory seconds go to those stores and I I got that from a pretty reliable source.

Wouldn't guns be the same?
Old January 12, 2011, 11:17 AM   #31
Fusion

This thread is started at least once every 2 weeks. Walmart doesn't sell factory seconds or refurbished items as new, because as already stated, that's not legal. Sometimes Walmart will get a special run just for them, but most of the time the stuff is the same. Gun shops like to tell you their products are superior hoping you will buy from them and pay their increased prices.

As far as ammo some of the Federal ammo is in red boxes and does have a WM in the part number. This is the stuff that's clearly packaged different from Walmart. Is it the same? I'm not sure, but it shoots the same for me. Another thing I've noticed is recently lots of this ammo marked for WM in the part number is starting to show up at lots of local gun stores at marked up prices of course.

If you buy a Remington 700 at Walmart, and the same model Remington 700 at a gun store it's going to be of the same quality and the same gun. It's when something is marked for Walmart like the special runs of the 10/22 or the Federal ammo that you may see a difference.

Another interesting thing is that I and a buddy got the exact same shotguns. His came from Walmart, and mine came from the local gun shop. I have to mention that it also was a lot more expensive for the exact same firearm, but at the time Walmart didn't have the gun in stock. His gun has performed flawlessly and is just a great gun, while mine has been to the gunsmith several times requiring work due to it jamming quite often. That makes me think that there is no difference.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:42 AM   #32
Rifleman1776

The "I have heard......" source of unfounded rumors can make threads like this go on forever.
Only a discussion/argument about WD-40 can cause more misinformation to make it onto the Internet.
There is no point in visiting this thread again.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:01 PM   #33
Wuchak

Quality wise they will be the same if they are the same model. Walmart always gets the lowest price. If you supply Walmart part of the contract stipulates that you will always sell the item to them for less than you sell it to anyone else. It might only be 1 cent less but it has to be less. When I was looking for a Marlin 39A the retail price at Walmart was cheaper than the distributor price to my local gunshop. In the case of firearms Walmart doesn't have to use a distributor between them and the manufacturer so they are cutting a profit layer out of the chain which is why their prices can be so much lower.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:16 PM   #34
oneounceload

Walmart does buy from distributors. Here in the south, they buy from Ellett Brothers - the catalog is behind the counter
Old January 12, 2011, 12:38 PM   #35
Gunplummer

I do not know about WALMART, but K-MART used to sell lower quality guns to the public. My buddy had a part time Gun Dealer thing going and saw an add for 10-22's in a K-MART flier. He figured at that price he should throw a couple on the rack as filler stuff to sell. Turns out those rifles were sold to K-MART as "specials", slight imperfections in the wood and cosmetic imperfections, but fully functional otherwise. Due to the deal they had going with K-Mart, he was not shipped the guns. If you are not looking for a wall hanger, I would not worry about it, but the very fact that there are "special" runs of guns should tell you something.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:55 PM   #36
Picher

Years ago, I worked repairing guns under contract for a small Maine sporting goods store. While doing so, several people brought in "new" guns purchased elsewhere for repairs. The "elsewhere" was K-Mart at the time, I believe.

I found right-handed Remington shotguns with Left-handed safeties and a Mossberg mod. 500 pump 12 gauge that wouldn't chamber a shell. I had it on good authority at the time that special runs of guns were made for large stores and sometimes some faulty guns were included to "make the contract delivery date". My personal experience supports that theory.

On the other hand, when I had an FFL, I was constantly amazed with the quality of wood on guns I ordered for customers from New England wholesalers. The average was way above those found on store racks. I also almost never found mechanical faults, with the exception of one of the original High Standard Victors...mine...which had a bad chamber.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:02 PM   #37
4runnerman

Model for model,same Wallmart has more buying power than the Gov does.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:05 PM   #38
TXJohn

Back in the late 90s I bought a Weatherby Vanguard 7 mag from one of the Walmarts it came with a target that showed it would shoot MOA it shot very good with a number of handloads wish I would have kept it but someone wanted it more than I did.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:55 PM   #39
greg531mi

Walmart quit selling guns around here 3 or 4 years ago....When they did sell guns, they had the bottom end types and a few special models...ie, 20 inch stainless 10/22's.....
I do know, I was was looking at gun residental security containers, (Can't call them safes), theirs were 2 locking bolts in the door short of the same model, in other stores....I guess that is why their prices were low! But, I saw better on sale prices, at other stores.....with 5 locking bolts!
I talked to a sporting goods manager, and he said he was glad they got rid of guns...if there was something wrong with the FFL paperwork, even though he was on vacation, they canned the manager.....
I guess that is a good vote to get rid of handling firearms, job security for the sporting goods manager...
Old January 13, 2011, 12:14 AM   #40
BIG P

My friend & I just went through the same thing, He's a Cabelas fan I'M not the only difference I can see was 60 bucks. So IMO NO difference in quailty at all.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:30 AM   #41
Rifleman1776

Gunplummer said, in part:
Quote:
K-MART used to sell lower quality guns to the public
I can't say you are right or wrong.
But, your post did revive and old memory. I had a gun shop in Indiana back in the 1970s. Down the road was a K-Mart I had to compete with. Mainly I did compete with better service and better products.
But, I still lost customers who were shopping for low end (affordable) guns. I had the H&R wholesale price lists (they didn't use distributors at that time). All H&R pricing was based on quantity. At a certain level of quantity stores like K-Mart could buy so much cheaper than I could there was simply no way I could compete.
It was simply quantity, there was no 'special' ordering for seconds or rejects. It can happen the manufacturer receives bad batches of wood and produce less than pretty guns. That happens but I don't believe there is much to the notion that mass merchandising stores deliberately deal in seconds.
As a former store owner I know no one, big or small, deliberately sets out looking to make customers unhappy or asking for returns.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:43 AM   #42
Cowboy_mo

I don't believe there is any difference in the same gun & model whether bought at any box store vs a regular gun shop. The box stores, whether Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc, get better pricing because of the volume they can purchase.

If your Walmart store sells guns (some don't based on individual store manager) ask to look at their special order catalog. You will be amazed at what they can get. Now, sometimes you will also be amazed to learn that their price on the special order model is pretty much the same as what you can purchase it at any other gun store.

Now, some companies will NOT sell to Walmart because they don't give volume discount pricing. Case in point is a well known gas additive (Seafoam). A friend of mine was a regional automotive mgr for Walmart and I asked him why they didn't carry the product because I love it and hate special shopping trips. He said the company wouldn't offer them any price break for volume and thus Walmart couldn't get it.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:44 AM   #43
4runnerman

Wallmart here in Moorhead,MN and Fargo Nd sell sea foam cheaper than you can buy it any where
Old January 13, 2011, 11:13 AM   #44
leathermarshmallow

Just think of the liability that a gun manufacturer would be opening themselves to. Selling inferior guns through Walmart vs. 1st quality guns through other stores.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:10 PM   #45
JerryHN

Wow! I didnt expect so many replies. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still confused, but this is a fun thread anyway LOL...
Old January 13, 2011, 01:27 PM   #46
4runnerman

I'm still confused, but this

Whats to be confused about?. I am not aware of any rifle company (rem for example) Taht makes say a model 70 in two different qualitys. If you have a model 70 at wallmart it is the same model at Gander. Thats not to say they have a different Rem there. Compare model to model and they are the same no matter where you buy them
Old January 13, 2011, 02:40 PM   #47
bassfishindoc

I was curious about this same thing when I wanted to buy a Remmy 700. I called up Remington to ask them about it and they told me all Remmy 700's are created equal no matter where you get them from. They all get the same QC and there is no difference between a Walmart gun and a Cabelas gun. That would be illegal and could be unsafe.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old January 13, 2011, 02:59 PM   #48
FrankenMauser

Check the Dell and HP computer boxes again, next time you're the infamous discount big-box store. If you look hard enough, you'll find words to the effect of, "This product may contain refurbished components. Hardware and software specifications may vary from those shown on box."
Old January 13, 2011, 06:54 PM   #49
Fusion

Quote:
Check the Dell and HP computer boxes again, next time you're the infamous discount big-box store. If you look hard enough, you'll find words to the effect of, "This product may contain refurbished components. Hardware and software specifications may vary from those shown on box."
I've never bought a computer from Walmart as I've always gotten better deals elsewhere, however, I've bought lots of products from Walmart in the past and I've never seen those words on the box.
Old January 13, 2011, 06:55 PM   #50
4runnerman

This product may contain refurbished components. Hardware and software specifications may vary from those shown on box."

This is true,But those boxes better marked (Refurbished).

Tags
control , quality , rifle , shotgun