The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Golfin Gator

Mini 14 question--NRA edition

After a lot of thinking, I know that I am going to buy a Mini 14. Have been haunting boards and gun shops looking and asking questions.

I saw an ad in a local sales paper where a person is selling a "Mini 14 NRA edition". What is different about that model? Any more expensive?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:39 PM   #2
HorseSoldier

I seem to recall the main difference is that it shipped with a couple factory high-cap mags. Not a Mini 14 guy so may be forgetting something else.
Old January 9, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Darsh

Yeah, I have one actually. It came with 2 20-round mags, has a polymer stock with kind of a grippy texture, has a shorter 16.25 inch barrel, and a little NRA seal on the bottom of the hand grip. Here's mine:

If you are in GA pm me, I might be interested in selling actually... (need extra cash lol)
Old January 10, 2011, 12:13 AM   #4
riverwalker76

As an avid Mini-14 AND AR-15 owner ... I can honestly tell you to buy it!

The shorter barrel on the NRA edition, as well as, their Mini-14 Tactical version, are the best things since sliced bread.

My Mini-14 Tactical is capable of 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards on a good day, and it is a very fun rifle to shoot. It is the exact same barrel on the NRA version. The only difference between the NRA Version and the Tactical version is the addition of the A2 style flashhider on the Tactical Version.

On shortening the barrel on these rifles Ruger discovered that the extra 1 1/2" on the longer barreled Ranch version actually inhibited accuracy somehow.

Buy it. You won't be disappointed.
Old January 10, 2011, 08:04 AM   #5
goodspeed(TPF)

CDNN has the Tactical for $589.99 right now.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml