The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Need Info on FIE "Titan" .25 Semi-auto

I'm searching for some general info on a FIE "Titan" .25 semi-auto that a friend of mine has. It was his Dad's and he knows nothing about it and other than doing some looking on GB, etc. - neither do I! I told it was a "cheap" little pocket gun and not real collectible - he knows it isn't worth much but was curious to find out what he could about it. He has the original box it came in which states it was made with American and Italian parts. There is no manual, etc. with it. I thought maybe some one could give me a little info I could pass on. So here goes:

FIE "Titan" semi auto
blued finish - silver colored trigger and hammer
.25 caliber
Serial # 58XXX
Plastic grips

What does the FIE stand for? Who would have made/assembled/marketed these?
Based on serial #, anybody know about when this was manufactured?
It doesn't look like it has had a lot of use - either shooting or carry wise and I would rate it at about 90% It has one clip.
Can anyone give a rough ballpark figure on what it might be worth? My guess, which isn't even educated, would be $75 - $100 but even that might be stretching it???
Sorry I don't have any photos and this is like trying to put a value on a pig in a poke but no one is going to hold you to it. He isn't looking to sell it as it was his Dad's - he'd just like to know a little about it. Thanks.

Many thanks for anything that anybody can share on this little "mouse gun".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 7, 2011, 07:10 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

FIE (Firearms Import and Export)
Titan pistols are made in USA.
No longer a business in 1990
NIB $200
EXC $75
VG $50
Old January 7, 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

Info Taken from
Catalog Of Firearms 2010
20th edition
Shieder
Old January 7, 2011, 07:40 PM   #4
NYPD13

Firearms Import & Export assembled the E27/GT25/Titan from 1977 to 1989 from cheap pot metal parts manufactured by Tanfoglio in Italy. Early receivers are stamped Italy as opposed to Miami FL. FIE went bankrupt in 1990 so you wont be able to research the serial number. Bought mine for $40 a few years back, got lucky in that it always works, hasn't jammed, only accurate inside of ten yards though.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

The Tanfoglio/Titan/FIE pistols were crude, but were all steel. No "Pot metal" involved.
Originally, they were imported from Italy. After GCA'68, the frames were made here, and the other parts imported from Italy.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:49 PM   #6
lee n. field

Not all were steel.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 7, 2011, 11:50 PM   #7
9x19

Not a Colt by any stretch, but they filled a niche for the low-income folks who wanted to protect themselves.

This one was my Uncle's... he left it to me when he passed... functions fine and is accurate enough to keep all shots on a 9" paper plate and 15 yards.

Old January 8, 2011, 12:43 AM   #8
NYPD13

Fun little gun. Magazine, slide, and barrel are of decent quality. The rest seems to be made by matchbox!

Last edited by NYPD13; January 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
zombieslayer

They're better guns than some of the other 25acp "throwaways". A shooting buddy of mine loves his. They go for $50-80 at the LGS.
Old January 8, 2011, 06:01 PM   #10
JED1177

Collector Grade "Titan .25"

The elusive, rarely imported, chrome plated Titan .25 with genuine simulated checkered ivory grips. It was also supplied with the dark plastic, simulated Ram Horn grips as an extra featured.

Currently valued at $1200.00 (oops, sorry, decimal point in the wrong spot)

Currently valued at $12.00

Like 9X19's uncle, my father always carried this one while mushroom hunting. I don't ever recall a mushroom getting away!

As previously mentioned, it fires everytime, all the time and is sufficently accurate to kill "larger" mushrooms!
Old January 8, 2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Onward Allusion

Quote:
bedbugbilly
Need Info on FIE "Titan" .25 Semi-auto
Inexpensive, reliable little single action pocket pistol that came in a variety of finishes. Most were blued, some were nickled or chrome plated, and some were even plated with a gold finish. Most have black plastic grips, some white (faux ivory), and some have thicker wood grips. The earlier ones were all steel while (I think) the later ones have pot metal slides. The mags hold 6 or 7 rounds depending on the exact model. They have a basic trigger safety and nothing else, so not a good idea to carry with a round in the chamber.

All in all, not worth a whole lot. Maybe $100 tops for one in decent condition. You could turn it in during a gun buy-back, but I personally would suggest holding on to them for a rainy day as barter/trade good.

***correction***
not pot metal slides but aluminum frames...

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Last edited by Onward Allusion; January 9, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old January 8, 2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Lemmon

I have a 22LR Titan. Looks ugly but it works. The first time I fired it the slide cut the flesh between my thumb and index finger. Still have the scar today. It still works.

Lemmon
Old January 8, 2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

The Titan slide is entirely too slim to be made of zinc (pot metal.) The guns were all steel, but there MAY have been an aluminum framed version.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Bill DeShivs
The Titan slide is entirely too slim to be made of zinc (pot metal.) The guns were all steel, but there MAY have been an aluminum framed version.
Bill - Yes, you are correct. No zinc slides. Aluminum frames though. I had to look in the safe to confirm this. Got way too many of 'em from my early years.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old January 10, 2011, 11:02 AM   #15
Lemmon

aluminum framed version

My little Titan 22LR had a steel slide and an aluminum frame

Snowing today in Fairfield County, SC Big Flakes... Don't see real snow that much. Expecting sleet and Ice later today.

Lemmon
Old January 10, 2011, 12:10 PM   #16
gator1gear

My future father in law gave me one of the FIE titan .25s. I have shot it a few times, and it stovepipes a good bit. Any suggestions on how to cure it?
Old January 11, 2011, 02:56 PM   #17
glenncal1

gator-sell it and buy a beretta. You can try polishing the ramp and maybe dressing the ejector with a fine file, (it may have rounded off over time) or replacing the ejectior. I wouldn't spend much if any $$ on it.

Many K and N Frames
Old January 11, 2011, 04:37 PM   #18
gator1gear

^^ Thanks for the reply, and the suggestions . I have a .25 caliber Beretta too. Just want to get the titan running. Sentimental value prevents it from going anywhere.
Old January 11, 2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Try a new, good quality magazine before you do any modifications.
Old January 11, 2011, 05:58 PM   #20
gator1gear

^^ Will do. I guess I'll just google search, unless you can recommend a place.

Found a few!
Old January 11, 2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/
Old January 12, 2011, 07:05 AM   #22
Hal

Quote:
The Tanfoglio/Titan/FIE pistols were crude, but were all steel. No "Pot metal" involved.
Except for the magazine catch.....

It's the main reason I retired my GT380 years ago.

Great shooter - much, much much better than the Walther PPk I picked up years later proved to be.

My first pistol was a Titan .25.
I traded it in on a Ruger Mark I due to the high cost of .25acp ammo vs .22lr.

I got tired of shooting up my 50 rounds, while others were still having a good time w/their .22's.

Quote:
FIE titan .25s. I have shot it a few times, and it stovepipes a good bit. Any suggestions on how to cure it?
I'd give it a real good cleaning before replacing any parts.
Take the grips off and soak it in #9 overnight.
There's a good chance that gun has been sitting for 20 years or longer.
I bought my Titan .25 somewhere in the early 1970's.

I'd probably do the same w/the magazine - YMMV there.

Also - parts for FIE products are difficult to find.
A lot of places show stock, but, when you place an order it comes back as out of stock.
I made a set of wood grips for my GT380 and would like to change them back to the plastic ones.
Somehow I misplaced the right one and have been searching on/off since the early 1990's for a set.
That's when I made the decision to retire it since I didn't want to risk snapping the magazine catch.
The gun saved my bacon more than a few times & it deserves better.

Oops - forgot to add.
For parts, try also looking under the Erma and or Excam name.
From what I could tell, there was a tie in somewhere between Tangfolio and Erma.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:53 AM   #23
BOBA FETT

i had a version of this gun made by EXCAM.. it was a piece of junk,after shooting it metal shavings would wear off the rails....i gave it away to a friend and he still carries it in his pocket..more power to him...
Old February 20, 2011, 12:37 AM   #24
BigAlum

Mine was an F.I.E. Titan with a steel slide and very definitely a die-cast zinc pot-metal frame. The design was excellent and the fit and finish were way above average on this one, but the frame was a real weak link. I didn't shoot it much and gave it to my daughter, who has since married. She's had it for over 10 years and she and her husband have had so much fun shooting it that the frame cracked through the safety hole and trigger pivot pin hole after somewhere north of 1000 rounds. The gun is a paperweight now, but I'm in the process of building her a new frame from 7075-T6 aluminum. I have seen one other version of this gun that was NOT pot metal, but was made from steel. The finish on the steel frame was of much lower quality than the cast version, but obviously much more durable. I have NEVER seen an aluminum frame version of the Titan, but they might well exist, since this gun was marketed by several different companies under various names, most with small differences in parts placement and grip/magazine options. I love the little pistol for its simplicity and reliability. Son-in-law says it never once jammed or misfired until the day it broke. Just sayin'...