The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1
fishhead1

Loading 9mm Makarov w/ 93 GR LRN Bullets

Have ordered a batch of Missouri Bullet Co. 93 GR LRN bullets for 9mm Mak reloading. Problem is, can find little reloading data for this combination, either online or in the reloading manuals I have on hand. Right now I have HP38 and Bullseye powder on hand, but will consider other powders if need be. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Old January 6, 2011, 10:29 PM   #2
pcoliver

Go to http://www.makarov.com/makload.html. They have some loads for National Bullet 95 gr. copper-washed lead RN with W231. W231 and HP38 as supposed to be the same powder. That is probably as close as you are going to get.

I have used both W231 and AA5 in my 9x18s with Missouri Bullet Co. 93 GR LRN bullets. I shoot them in both a CZ-82 and a P-64.

Accurate has load data for 95 gr. LRN bullets. See http://web.archive.org/web/200310051...ov+page+90.pdf
Old January 6, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3
res45

I use 3.5 to 3.6 grs. HP-38/W231 with a 93 or 95 gr. cast bullet in my PA-63 accuracy is around 2" at 25 ft. it's a nice load and isn't to snappy. I make my own brass from once fired 9mm brass trimmed to 0.700"

here is some more info. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57567
Old January 6, 2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Shoney

fishhead1

What powders do you have? I have some data, but need to know what powders you have, and the weapon you will be shooting.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 6, 2011, 11:55 PM   #5
fishhead1

The pistol is a Russian made (IMEZ) Makarov 9mm. The powders I currently have on hand are Bullseye and HP 38, although I could buy another type powder if need be. Thanks for your interest. Oh, right now I will be using new Starline brass.

Last edited by fishhead1; January 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old January 7, 2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Shoney

fishhead1
Before there were any brass cases available, I use to make my 9X18 brass by cutting down 9 Luger cases. When Starline began making it, I got half a barrel of it, since several members of my family carry their Maks. Starline cases are way above average quality.

The 9X18 cartridge wasn't categorized by SAAMI until about the 1990's sometime. I spoke with an engineer that worked on the development of safe pressures for the cartridge, using the weakest pistol they could find, apparently the FEG. According to this fellow, the Russian and E.German weapons could take a substantially higher pressure. I have not gone very much over max to find out.

I use to buy Russian ammo which had steel cases and a 120 gr bullet that would chronograph at over 1100 fps. I'm sure the pressure was way over SAAMI max pressure. With any of the SAAMI spec cartridges, it is difficult to get a 100 grain bullet above 1000 fps.

I have tried around 12 to 14 powders with 90, 95, and 100 gr lead and jacketed bullets, writing the results in a journal. A great deal of that data was lost in a flood, before I put it on the computer.

Current commercially available Maximum load data for Bullseye (BE) and HP38 are:
90 gr Jacketed - - HP-38 - 4.0gr ___ BE none _ _ _ reduce ALL max by 10% to start
95 gr Jacketed - - HP-38 - 3.8gr ___ BE 3.6 gr
100 gr Jacketed- - HP-39 - 3.8gr ___ BE 3.6

The books suggest a 0.5 gr reduction for max loads of lead, but I have used data interchangably. I have always found accuracy with lead well under max.

The two powders I prefer are Hodgdon Universal and AL #5. If interested I can get data. I also have a very light Red Dot plinking load that just cycles the weapon.

You can also take 7.62X25 cases and make shot loads, however, they will not eject. They are good close range snake loads though.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; January 7, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old January 7, 2011, 10:53 AM   #7
fishhead1

Shoney
Thank you for the good words. Gives me alot to get started. One of the powders I am seriously considering obtaining is Accur #5 (is that the same as the AL #5 you mentioned?). Can also us that for 380 ACP and 9mm Luger loads (as well as others). Again, thanks all for the good words.
PS Sorry to hear about the flood problems. Bad news.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Shoney

Sorry for the brain phart on writing AL instead of AA for the Accurate Powder #5, which used to be designated AA5 or AA#5. The #5 powder will work in the 380ACP with 90, 95, and 100 grain bullets, it will not load 115 gr or 123 gr bullets; and it will do well in all bullet weights for 9 Luger.

However, Hodgdon Universal will perform better in the 380 in all bullet weights. In the 9 Luger, Universal does very well but #5 has the edge in velocity. Accuracy is a crap shoot.

If you get a 40S&W or 45ACP both the AA#5 and Universal will work quite well in them also.

Good Shooting!
Old January 8, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9
zxcvbob

I use 3.6 grains of International, or 3.2 grains of Red Dot. You could try about 4 grains of either HP38 or Bullseye, or 3.5 grains of Titegroup.

I've loaded a few test cartridges with 4.5 grains of Rex III but I haven't tried them yet. (CZ82 pistol and cut-down 9mm Luger brass)