The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 2, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
10mmAuto

Nutnfancy opinions

Simple enough query, who's seen this guy's Youtube channel and what are your thoughts on it?

Personally, he seems to me to be a bit of a tacticooly minded, but I'm curious about other's thoughts on the guy and what he's putting out.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2
David the Gnome

Nutnfancy is a good guy. He may be long winded but he at least gives an honest review of everything he tests. If the product sucks or if it fails in any way, he'll tell you. The fact that he puts all that time and effort into putting his videos together (especially the fact that he pays for everything out of his own pocket) means I have a lot of respect for him. Keep in mind that he has a very specific target audience he's aiming at, Military/Police and what he calls "civilian sheep dogs", meaning a civilian who is prepared to step up and take care of themselves and their loved ones in the event of an emergency where we are without rule of law. I'd like to think that all of us here on this site are what he would consider a civilian sheep dog, if not law enforcement or military, and while he may be big into the "tacticool" stuff he at least explains the reasoning behind all the stuff he recommends (and usually it's solid reasoning given his philosophy on the subject).
Old January 2, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3
mes227

Excellent synopsis, David.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Crosshair

Biggest complaint is he takes 30 minutes to talk about something that can be said in 10.

Quote:
Keep in mind that he has a very specific target audience he's aiming at, Military/Police and what he calls "civilian sheep dogs", meaning a civilian who is prepared to step up and take care of themselves and their loved ones in the event of an emergency where we are without rule of law.
Unless you're going to Iraq a lot of his stuff is WAY overkill and at times inappropriate for the average citizen. I'd say it's oriented almost exclusively for police/military.
Old January 2, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
cajun47

his review of the sig 522 pushed me over the edge to buy one and i love it. i think he got a raw deal on the cold steel pocket bushman but i bought one recently and love it.
Old January 2, 2011, 02:34 PM   #6
nefprotector

I have him as a friend on youtube. I find him biased to Glock, etc. But he does give good Knife reviews.
Old January 2, 2011, 02:59 PM   #7
cajun47

well glock perfection. i would question anyone who didn't prefer glock.
Old January 2, 2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Wildalaska

I think hes a mall ninja with his civilian sheep dog crap.

Quote:
i would question anyone who didn't prefer glock.

WildnuffsaidAlaska ™ ©2002-2011
Old January 2, 2011, 04:27 PM   #9
g.willikers

His scooter is cool.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:40 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Unless you're going to Iraq a lot of his stuff is WAY overkill and at times inappropriate for the average citizen. I'd say it's oriented almost exclusively for police/military.
Since when has "need" got anything to do with it? Who gets to decide what I "need"?!?!?!?!? "inappropriate for the average citizen" ?!??!?!? Really?!?!?! :barf:

Nuttnfancy reviews stuff he has access to fairly objectively, I think. If I want it, it is nobody's business but mine and the seller's, subject to existing laws.....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 2, 2011, 05:56 PM   #11
shrewd

haha wildalaska beat me to it
Old January 2, 2011, 06:16 PM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
Since when has "need" got anything to do with it? Who gets to decide what I "need"?!?!?!?!? "inappropriate for the average citizen" ?!??!?!? Really?!?!?!
Chill out and read my post again. Where did I say anything about deciding what other people need?

He makes it look like you need to dress for a night in Baghdad to be "prepared". He piles on mountains of junk that will serve no purpose to the average person, leading them to spend money in areas where it would be better spent elsewhere on things that will provide far better security.

Even in the 92 riots, break action shotguns, Winchester 94's, and pistols proved to be perfectly antiquate for defending ones home and property. So someone with a Mini-14, basic, AR or AK along with a supply of magazines and ammo will be more than covered weapons wise. Instead ones resources should be diverted to things OTHER than weapons. Like emergency supplies of food and water, lighting and means to barricade your home.

Now if he just wants to cover weapons that's fine, but he should emphasize that weapons and gear is just one small part of being prepared. If you want to be prepared for a night out in Iraq, that's fine, but that doesn't prepare you for a host of far more likely scenarios.
Old January 2, 2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Gehrhard

Nutnfancy is actually pretty comprehensive which I appreciate. Tacticool, yes. Longwinded, a little. But there is audio. He doesn't just address the obvious, or forget it either. Often a good resource and certainly above average. He is having a good time, is pretty knowledgeable -- I am glad he does his thing and have come to count on him to some extent when I want to see and hear about something...
Gehr
Old January 2, 2011, 07:26 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
perfectly antiquate
I think you meant "adequate", right? As in "good enough" ....... but point taken: A functional gun, any functional gun with some ammo, food, water and sundries for a short stay at home beat the tacticoolest AR without those supplies. If you have all that other stuff covered, though, why not listen to the guy review the AR?

Last edited by jimbob86; January 2, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old January 2, 2011, 07:56 PM   #15
tet4

My opinion is that he's longwinded by a LONG shot, very much on the tacticool side (with the camo and all), a severe gear head, and really appeals more to the LEO/paramilitary than average joe citizen. But, that's okay, different stroke I guess.

My biggest gripe is that he gives that type of tacticool vibe to newcomers as if every person who carries is like that. I wish he would tone it down a little, or at least throw in some comments about how not everyone needs two guns and four mags when they leave their house (and have them all camo duracoated to match your terrain).

Now, that said, I have to give him insane props for the amount of time, effort and honest interest he has put into his project. That guy is DEDICATED, and I can respect that.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:15 PM   #16
Lokpyrite

+1 on what DavetheGnome said, Seems like a nice enough guy and gives an honest opinion, if you don't want to watch a camping video, don't click on it.
Hehe, and yes he can take 30 minutes to do a 10 minute review but what else you gonna do, play WoW or watch Survivor?
Old January 2, 2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Gehrhard

See, here I was thinkin' Nutnfancy was more tacticool than the average professional in these vids 'cause I think active duty troops to state troopers are more focused on the job with their established tools and less on the latest and greatest axis-locked super-fast deploying assisted-opening AUS-8 3.12" tanto-point bladed titanium liner decent purchasing micarta gripped folder and whether it has a nice choil and enough jimping. In fact, I know it for a fact...

Tacticool if not knowledgable Mall Ninja runs deep in Nutnfancy's otherwise red, white and blue blood regardless of what uniform he wears to work these days. Something I think sheep dogs and professionals can both agree upon. But what difference does it make? He enjoys it. Relishes it! And puts stuff through its paces. He's livin' the dream. For all of us.

OK. Nut? Open letter: sometimes less is more. Next time you finish a three part vid (RD-9* was it?), cut it by 17.2%.

Gehr

*By the way, his commentary that the handle was too short and sharp was spot on -- I haven't chipped the blade but I am not chopping the Taj Mahal from the treeline either with this knife that I think is great for the money and the best of its type for it in an average and smaller hand.

Last edited by Gehrhard; January 2, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:41 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
Hehe, and yes he can take 30 minutes to do a 10 minute review but what else you gonna do, play WoW or watch Survivor?
You can try cracking open a book

WildthattmayhelppassthetimeifyouareboredAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old January 2, 2011, 10:03 PM   #19
LinuxHack3r

I always wondered if this guy had anything to do with this place:
http://yellowpages.oakridger.com/nut...139p.home.html
(Tellico Plains, about an hour away from where I live. Was driving through there to get to a campground, saw the sign, and was like "Haven't I watched his Youtube video's)

I attempted to see where this guy is located, does anyone know?
Old January 2, 2011, 10:10 PM   #20
scottl

If you want to watch reviews without the tactical stuff look up Hickok45.He's a Glock guy but gives an honest review.He's got videos on lot of makes and models.

Even pokes fun at Zombie hunters a time or two.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:16 PM   #21
ElectricHellfire

Quote:
His scooter is cool.
LOL!

He's too tacticool for me. Always referring to his "military job" etc and doing run and gun stuff in full battle dress.

I prefer Hickok45 and Gunblastdotcom for firearms and cutlerylover for knives.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:44 PM   #22
locnload

The guy seems to be having a good time reviewing guns and gear, if he can turn it into a self sustaining project more power to him. I'm not big into "tacticool" stuff personaly but a lot of people are and there is a lot of it out there to sort out. We are bombarded with it in gun mags and gun stores, you have to be able to make up your own mind if you "need" it or can afford to spend your money on it, were all big boys here. If Nutnfancy can help you weed through it then good for him. He is as entitled to his opinion as any of us and while I don't agree with everything he says, he has some well thought out stuff on You Tube and I have spent a lot of time watching it. Compared to most of the other reviews out there he is way more professional. I say thumbs up.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:54 PM   #23
Ramman911

Nutnfancy is awesome. He always gives me a chuckle and some good information. I like the fact he is long winded, I seem to relate better than when info comes by fast and furious.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:07 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
You can try cracking open a book
Butbutbut!!!!!!!!!!! WA- books are soooooooo...... 1940's! Obsolete! Just like Scout rifles, Jeff Cooper, and well, anything not tacticool ..... /sarcasm off ..............

Old January 3, 2011, 01:06 AM   #25
raftman

The tacticool stuff doesn't bother me so much. I'm not into it, but to each their own I guess. If there's one thing I don't really dig about his videos, is that he will occasionally review a firearm that he hasn't actually fired. He refers to his reviews as "data points" in helping people decide whether or not a certain firearm is worth their hard-earned money. But is it really a new data point if he's just going off what's already been said without any personal experience with the particular firearm? Just seems odd that one can do a 30-minute review without even having personally tested the product.
Closed Thread