The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 29, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
riggins_83

Gun store employee thoughts

1. I'm not here to make the decision on which gun to buy for you. I'll make a recommendation however I won't say "this is the only one to buy." If the ergonomics of the firearm aren't right for you it isn't the gun for you.. no matter how I feel about it. On the flip side, if you ask my opinion of a firearm I'll give it to you. Don't ask then argue with me saying "well I've owned one for 3 years and never had an issue." You asked and I gave you an honest answer. I understand if you say it worked well for you.. please also understand I sell many firearms and have the luxury of seeing what we have problems with and what come back for warranty work etc. The one gun you own out of the hundreds of thousands made doesn't mean it's a great brand... not enough of an example.

2. It doesn't take a genius to spend money. I'm not here to listen to you go on and on about guns you own, rare or not. I'm not impressed by your collection; partly because you're using my time by telling me when you've said you're not going to buy anything and partly because I have no proof you can actually shoot well.

3. I'm not here to negotiate price. I understand if you ask and that's fine, I'll give you an honest answer. I won't be harsh but I'm not going to have a "baby you" attitude about it either. You also have to understand when it comes to retail stores there is very little profit in most firearms. Most revenue comes from accessories such as ammo, magazines, clothing, etc. We have to make a profit or we wouldn't be in business.

4. There may very well be things you know more about than I do. That doesn't make you somehow superior to me, it just means you've spent more time with a particular power/reloading set/rifle etc than I have. Just because I work at a gun store doesn't mean I own every single brand of firearm we sell.

5. I'll tell me the laws of the state but I won't give you "legal advice." I'm not an attorney and I'm not here to tell you how I interpret laws. I will not give you anything other than broad information when it comes to laws such as where you can legally carry, etc. This is nothing against you I simply would rather you obtain this information from the Sherrif's department for liability reasons.

6. I will not sell you a gun if you openly admit it's a straw purchase. Had somebody say "oh this gun is for me but my mom's going to purchase it since I have a case of identity theft." I'm sorry to hear this, still doesn't make it legal. If you come back and have your mother insist the gun is for her, not you it just insults my intelligence.

7. Don't abuse the gun you're looking at or I will ask for it back. Amazing how many people will slam the slide closed on an empty chamber or dry fire a gun that's not supposed to be after you ask them not to.. or will argue if a firearm isn't supposed to be dry fired. Also if you want to see the internals of a gun I'm showing you I'll take it apart for you. You don't see people at a car dealership ripping the air intake off before they purchase a vehicle.. it's no different here! I don't want our display guns to be scratched, nicked, or have holster wear because you want to try a holster you're buying on our guns. It just takes one leather holster being tried on a shelf model to make the gun looked used and dirty.

8. When I say "There's no way of knowing when we'll get this in stock" I mean it. Companies don't send us a list and say we'll receive a product on an exact date... if they did I suspect it would be inaccurate anyway. I'm not going to lie and claim to have a date I'll guess on.. so don't take a poor attitude with me as though I'm being difficult.

9. I don't appreciate being swept. I understand I've just cleared the firearm... I still don't like the muzzle going by me.

10. It's fine if you want something that's an obscure cartridge/firearm but please don't be upset we don't carry it. We have to make a profit to stay in business.. having firearms sitting on the shelf for bloody ages doesn't help that along.

12. I will not use hysteria to sell guns, nor will I buy into it. Please don't expect me to express emotion over a story you just heard 3rd party. Chances are if I go home and research it there's no truth.

13. I want you to enjoy your firearms! I won't pretend to know everything.. nor will I pretend to like everything. I want you to go home happy, not go home with the gun everybody told you is "the best." I'm here to help but I'm not your caddy either. If you show up looking and talking like a thug I won't be very interested in helping you.

Any other gun store employees have any input here?
Old December 29, 2010, 09:03 AM   #2
BILLtheDJguy

14. Please don't get upset and storm out if you feel that I'm spending too much time on the customers that were here BEFORE you. I promise I will be just as attentive to you, when it is YOUR turn...
Old December 29, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

15. When I am assisting another customer, please do not jump into our conversation with stories of how you did it in SEAL Team 37 1/2, or how this brand of JHP is all wrong because the "One Shot Stop" rating is 83% while your favorite brand is 86%, or any other helpful tidbits you gleaned from reading the "It Happened To Me!" column in Combat Handguns last week. Mrs. Jones doesn't need to hear any of that nonsense when she's picking out her first gun. After she's left, you can lie my ear off while I Windex the counters.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:47 AM   #4
BILLtheDJguy

16. I don't mind most of you that hang out regularly, just to shoot the breeze or pass time. But, to the ones that never buy anything, you aren't necessarily facilitating a continual place to do so.
17. My customers may or may not care what you paid for the same item at Gander Mt. or BPS, but it isn't very prudent for you to mention it while I'm attempting to make a sale.
18. If you don't occasionally contribute to the profitability of this shop, it may not always be here.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Dustin0

Number 8 If one more person ask me when will you get another PMR 30 in stock I might have to shot them.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Vince302

#17 Yes I will sell you a Glock, if I cannot talk you out of it.

Vince
Old December 29, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

riggins 83, you need to consider another line of work. Retail is not for everyone and you clearly are one for whom it is not.
I have owned retail stores, including a gun shop, what you describe is just the way it is. If you can't handle it move on.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
ammo.crafter

the gun store hang out

Thanks for the reality check. We can feel your frustration.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:27 AM   #9
riggins_83

Quote:
riggins 83, you need to consider another line of work. Retail is not for everyone and you clearly are one for whom it is not.
I have owned retail stores, including a gun shop, what you describe is just the way it is. If you can't handle it move on.

That was pretty unnecessary. Overall I enjoy my part time job (I'm a full-time college student). It's a great job to get through school and get firearms at cost for the rest of my life. If I couldn't "handle it" I wouldn't be working there.. I've worked many different retail jobs through the years and have beaten some sales records too. There's no such thing as a job without points of stress. I've been told by several customers over the years I'm about the only one there who doesn't act condescending and is willing to explain without growing frustrated. Seems like many gun store employees are snobs, short tempered or just don't care to explain anything. Glad I'm not one of them.. they are the ones who really need to "move on."

Last edited by riggins_83; December 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:01 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

19. If you buy all your guns from Bud's/CDNN/your buddy from work, then have Bud's/CDNN/your buddy from work show you how to take it apart and clean it. Our time, expertise, and efforts have value, and you should expect to be charged for them at some point.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Gehrhard

Sounds like common sense and is balanced. I know customer's aren't always... If you do these with a smile on your face and add value to your customer's purchases, we're there. Fair and friendly! Just remember, as someone once said to me (and it was a professional warning to me personally from my boss's boss who was one himself): "nobody likes a wise-[alec]."
Gehr
Old December 29, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Wildalaska

Quote:
19. If you buy all your guns from Bud's/CDNN/your buddy from work, then have Bud's/CDNN/your buddy from work show you how to take it apart and clean it. Our time, expertise, and efforts have value, and you should expect to be charged for them at some point.
My fav is the guys that handle the gun, and when you give them the ol "ok let me make you a deal" line you get the world famous:

"My bud has an FFL and gets guns for me at cost, I just wanted to see how it felt

How it felt

Well hell pilgrim, you want to see how it feels, I got my Babar thong on today

WildthatismyalltimefavoritegunshopcustomerlineAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 29, 2010, 11:35 AM   #13
riggins_83

Quote:
My fav is the guys that handle the gun, and when you give them the ol "ok let me make you a deal" line you get the world famous:

"My bud has an FFL and gets guns for me at cost, I just wanted to see how it felt.
+1 for that. Similar in some ways to the person who does the paperwork then calls before picking up the gun saying "never mind I found it for $15 less at another store."
Old December 29, 2010, 12:08 PM   #14
38superhero

lol rule #15
Old December 29, 2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"My bud has an FFL and gets guns for me at cost, I just wanted to see how it felt"
Then his bud can show him how guns feel from now on. I've seen an increase in the idea that gun shops exist to be showrooms for online shops over the last couple of years.

We had a thread on here regarding that titled, "Shop locally, buy globally," or something to that effect.
Old December 29, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The flip side of that is don't lie your butt off - being behind the counter is no indicator of knowledge. We have a big box gun shop near by and the "counter commandos" drive me insane. :barf:

When I worked at a shop that primarily sold used guns, this was my biggest beef:

# 20 - "Don't tell me what the Blue Book value is, I price guns to suit the local market".
Old December 29, 2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Quote:
# 20 - "Don't tell me what the Blue Book value is, I price guns to suit the local market".
Its actually
Don't tell me what the Blue Book value is, I price guns based on a percentage of GunBroker 90 day bid averages for similar guns

WildimsuchaputergeekAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 29, 2010, 07:14 PM   #18
OldCorp

The shop I work at apprx. 3 days a week is one of the largest in the area. A typical day is very busy and the phone rarely takes a break from ringing.
As a retired LEO, this is not my first rodeo working with and talking to people. I enjoy almost every thing about it.
What does get really old is the folks that use the place as a petting zoo.

It seems we use an inordinate amount of time on folks who visit with a group of friends. One will ask a clerk's help to look at and fondle a given model, but only for the express purpose to use it for 'show and tell' and announce to the rest of the group that THIS is the model he has, or friend has, or had, or has shot, etc, etc.
This runs the gamut of all age groups, old guys (of which I'm one) all the way down to twenty-somethings. Related tales of said gun example, of which it is expected you should be fascinated with, can go on for several more minutes.

But there's also the humourous that keep us going - just this past week here's a couple of examples:

1. - Customer enters and immediately tells me he needs ammo he's all but sure that I will not have, as it's very rare. States he needs ".918 Makaroon Pistol" ammo
(9x18 Makarov)

2. - Customer is relating that he has a "very valuable" pistol. Goes on to say it's a "WWII Army Pistol", then states, 'well, it would have been valuable if somebody had not alternated it.

Overall a good retirement job.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:18 PM   #19
raftman

Not a gun shop employee, but here's a rule that I've seen other customers break:

#21. Don't get angry if the shop doesn't carry an item that might not even exist. They just don't make many left-handed IWB holsters for a Mauser C96.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:26 PM   #20
OldCorp

I often refer customers to particular on-line resource in order to obtain a certain desired item that we do not and never will, stock.
I have at times, gotten a look back like I was trying to direct them to the little-known planet of Tyrillium on the far side of the Milky Way.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:29 PM   #21
Newton24b

heres a question, seriously it serious.

what rule says "take my repitition of what i read in the manual, the latest issue of "gun world", what the boss said, what i heard on an online forum, and believe it to be truth about the gun im trying to sell you?"

or better yet, or gun store employee,

"why am i NOT allowed to look inside the slide of a gun I want to buy, but its alright for you and your friends to bring in their private guns and try to swap barrels with the handguns you have in the display case?"

that last one is a real humdinger, wont buy any weapon from one store after i saw both clerks trying to swap barrels of private weapons with ones in the display case to "see if it worked". made a good point to them as i left that its good a certain company builds their weapons in such a way that you need a gunsmith to swap parts on them.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

#22: I really don't need to hear your politics, nor does everyone else in the store. If you think ZOG is engineering a class war behind the scenes so the zombies can take over, go next door and discuss it at the bar.

#23: Is it appropriate to whip out a loaded gun and start handling it at Barnes & Noble? Wal Mart? Pizza Hut? No. Nor is it acceptable to do so at a gun shop just because it's a "gun shop."
Old December 29, 2010, 09:57 PM   #23
BILLtheDJguy

Quote:
#23: Is it appropriate to whip out a loaded gun and start handling it at Barnes & Noble? Wal Mart? Pizza Hut? No.

NOt to get off topic, but a few years back, an old classmate of mine who went into law enforcement after we graduated, ran into me in the local supermarket. He whipped out his new .40s&w right in the middle of the bread aisle to show to me...Kinda weirded me out and didn't do much for the other shoppers either. He was sort of in uniform but wasn't on duty, so I guess they figured it was cool, but....

My point is, perhaps it's just the mentality, rather than the location. I dunno...

Last edited by BILLtheDJguy; December 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:21 PM   #24
carguychris

Also not a gun shop employee, but I'll add some more based on customer behavior I've witnessed...

24) Just because it's in my display case doesn't mean that I know how to field-strip it.

25) Yes, we sell revolvers, but that doesn't make me- or anyone else here- an expert on all of the hundreds of models of top-break sold in the USA between 1870 and 1960, so no, I can't tell you the identity and value of the revolver you found in your grandma's attic based solely on the serial number and your rough description of the logo on the grips. (Same concept goes for old European .32s.)

26) I appreciate the fact that you finally brought in that old top-break rather than just describing it to me, but no, we won't take it as a straight trade for that new Deluxe Model bolt-action rifle with the checkered walnut stock... I'm sorry we hurt your feelings by only offering you $50 for it, but see, there's a difference between "valuable antique" and "old junk", and we prefer to trade for guns that people will actually buy.

27) No, I won't hide that old gun in the back room for you while you spend the next day or so combing GB, asking your buddies, and posting on Internet forums trying to figure out what it's worth. See, we're in business to sell things, and things don't sell when they're hidden from everyone.

28) Yes, I realize that .32 S&W cartridges are much smaller than .45 ACP and should cost less to produce, but you see, they cost a whole bunch more because of this thing called "supply and demand".

Old December 29, 2010, 11:07 PM   #25
langenc

""9. I don't appreciate being swept. I understand I've just cleared the firearm... I still don't like the muzzle going by me.""

I am glad to see that Im not the only one that has a problem with this.. Why is it so hard to understand?? Good thing I dont work in a gunshop-Id probably go home before lunch-the first day.