The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 26, 2010, 11:25 PM   #1
ohen cepel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 1999
Location: Where they send me
Posts: 1,013
Removing Import Markings?

If you refinish an imported surplus weapon and don't care for the import markings can you legally remove them? Or, move them?

I think you can move a serial number so maybe these can also be moved?

Not looking to defraud anyone or break any laws.

Been wondering about it and another thread reminded me of my question.
__________________
He who dares wins.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
ohen cepel is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,130
Seriously doubt it. I wouldn't chance it!
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Hardcase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 14, 2009
Location: Sunny Southern Idaho
Posts: 1,901
You'd better write the ATF a letter and ask them. Be specific. The answers that I've seen here and elsewhere range from "Yes" to "No" with a few "Maybes" thrown in for good measure.

The ATF must interpret the rule and I have not seen any letters that specifically address the question. That's not to say that there aren't any - I just haven't seen one.
__________________
Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop - Gus McCrae
Hardcase is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 02:28 AM   #4
T. O'Heir
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 13, 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,099
Hi. I seriously doubt any U.S. government agency would check or care if an import stamp was removed after a rifle cleared Customs. Import stamps are usually too deep to remove without damaging the rifle anyway.
Proof stamps found on milsurp rifles that were sold through England, the BNP, etc., aren't there because of U.S. laws. English law only.
The ATF doesn't make the importing rules. Department of State, I think.
__________________
Spelling and grammar count!
T. O'Heir is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Tidewater_Kid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 433
Most "new" import markings contain a different serial number than the one originally on the rifle. This new S/N is the the number of record as far as the ATF is concerned. Do not alter or remove that number. You may knock down the shine with a dab of cold blue.

TK

Last edited by Tidewater_Kid; December 27, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Tidewater_Kid is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 04:07 PM   #6
ltdave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 16, 2005
Posts: 225
i removed the importer marks on my very first garand. the barrel was shot out so i put a new one but didnt bother sending the entire thing to Blue Sky and have them remark the rifle...
ltdave is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 04:40 PM   #7
highvel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 21, 2010
Location: Powhatan VA
Posts: 633
I would only rely on the specific government agency for an answer about legality of changing identifying marks!
My $.02
__________________
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
highvel is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 07:58 PM   #8
ohen cepel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 1999
Location: Where they send me
Posts: 1,013
If one put a new barrel on it then what?

Or, if you wanted to cut down the current barrel?
Is it to be treated the same as a serial number?

Is it an import issue or required for it to be on the weapon for it's lifetime?

I don't want to get into trouble and am not looking for any!
__________________
He who dares wins.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
ohen cepel is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 08:16 PM   #9
jhenry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 27, 2006
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 1,813
Call the ATF. Ask.
__________________
"A Liberal is someone who doesn't care what you do, as long as it's mandatory". - Charles Krauthammer
jhenry is offline  
Old December 27, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
James K
Staff
 
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 18,647
That marking is for tracing purposes. It was mandated under GCA 68 because of the difficulty in tracing Oswald's Carcano in 1963. No one knew who had imported it and it took days for the several importers to go through their books. The law replaced the previous Country of Origin (COO) mark, which is still required on other products.

The law specifically mentions only serial numbers in banning removal, but it could be argued that the serial number is useless without the name of the manufacturer or importer. Better ask BATFE the question in a letter to their HQ (not a regional office) and get a letter reply. Do NOT rely on a phone call or e-mail, both of which the government considers informal communications and not binding on it.

Jim
__________________
Jim K
James K is offline  
Old December 28, 2010, 08:14 AM   #11
jtb1967
Junior member
 
Join Date: September 29, 2004
Location: WV
Posts: 454
I think several people have already given you the smart advice, contact the ATF for facts rather than opinions from the net. My opinion, which may or may not be correct, is that import marks can be removed just as you could grind "Remington" off your 700 if you so chose. It's serial numbers that can't be removed.
jtb1967 is offline  
Old December 28, 2010, 11:58 AM   #12
gew98
Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2010
Location: Rural bluegrass abode
Posts: 70
There is no prohibition to removing import marks. I've seen countless hundreds of sporterize dimported rifles from shortened to new barrels with the markings obviously gone. Have seen some where the mark is obscured or machined off when scopes are mounted ( those that have receivers marked ). It's the serial number that must be left alone.
gew98 is offline  
Old December 29, 2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Volucris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 30, 2009
Posts: 293
It's not illegal. Go ahead but you'll probably do more damage than good.


Asking the ATF questions gives you a 70% chance of making something newly illegal or a 30% chance of them telling you it's already illegal.
__________________
"From my cold, dead hands!" - Charlton Heston
Volucris is offline  
Old December 29, 2010, 08:56 AM   #14
ohen cepel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 1999
Location: Where they send me
Posts: 1,013
I'll ask the agents at the next show I see them at. They usually have a table at the one I go to. I know I'll need a letter but prefer to talk with someone to explain the variables.
__________________
He who dares wins.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
ohen cepel is offline  
Old December 29, 2010, 11:50 AM   #15
EOD Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 18, 1999
Location: Concord, CA, USA
Posts: 726
I have a letter from BATF Hq (See attachment) stating that it is legal for the end user to remove the import mark.

Before you do so, be sure and check your State laws. They may have a prohibition about removing "identification" markings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Import Mark Ltr.pdf (60.1 KB, 157 views)
EOD Guy is offline  
Old December 30, 2010, 03:50 AM   #16
gyvel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 30, 2009
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 4,200
Quote:
I have a letter from BATF Hq (See attachment) stating that it is legal for the end user to remove the import mark.
Be careful with that: If you notice, it says "manufacturer's or importer's" serial number. In some cases, guns that have non-Roman letter serial number prefixes or suffixes, or, in the case of some guns from Arabic countries, numerals in Arabic script, the guns are required to have a new "unique" serial number applied by the importer. According to that letter, it would be a no-no to remove that "unique" number, in spite of the fact that the original manufacturer's serial is still on the gun.

So, while it may be OK to remove the importer's name and address, you're still stick with the importer's "unique" serial number.

_________________________________________________________________

Has anyone ever noticed that Spell Check suggests replacing "BATF" with "BARF?"
gyvel is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2013 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.09572 seconds with 8 queries