The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2011, 01:42 PM   #26
telemark

I use my .300 WM to take care of ground squirrels on our friend's grass airstrip. Sure a 180 gr Nosler BT at 3100 fps is overkill for them, but it gets me good practice for hunting season.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #27
EMN89

.270 wsm for groundhogs.

I have shot groundhogs with my .270 wsm w/ 130 grain federal power shoks going 3250 fps @ the muzzle, if hit right they will literally be cut in half.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:27 AM   #28
Ideal Tool

Hello, roy reali. Back in the very early 1970's, I converted an old Marlin bolt action .22 to centerfire..but not just any old centerfire...a Needle-Gun! Firing pin was .03 dia. drill rod. fired long-rifle case had .03 hole drilled thru head. Powder was unique, bullet cast in mould I made at voc. high school. primer...tip of strike-anywhere match! This really worked most of the time except in cold-damp weather. Took a shot at a young fox squirrel at about 30yds. At shot..it froze in place..I thought I missed, loaded another round & about that time squirrel did a slow motion fall off limb. Picked up & looked for long time before I saw tiny crease through hair at back of neck...but skin was not broken! Don't know if head was down & skin streched tight over spine, but there was no cut or anything! Afew years later, I converted to a real center-fire. Turned "head" from brass stock, complete with small rifle pocket. This was low-temp. silver soldered onto cut off l.r. case. These were quite a bit loader than high velocity l.r. shot many squirrels & starlings.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:30 PM   #29
longspurr

Used to have fun shooting rats with speer shot capsules in Ruger SA's. Rats would come into the quonson hut / grain bin. We would sneak up at night - open the door and ease inside. When we turned on a flashlight the rats would freeze until the first shot. Running rats with 2 people blasting with handguns was a lot of fun - until my buddy had one run up his leg trying to get away to the door behind us. Almost shot himself in the leg trying to beat the rat off with the sixgun!!!!

We decided that was just a bit too much fun.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:58 PM   #30
BIG P

Fox squirrel with a 7mag,after he busted me deer hunting guess he though he'd stay & bark for a half hour.Bad idea.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:39 AM   #31
Catfishman

I shot a skunk with a Glock 20 (10mm) and another one with a single action .22 revolver at 71 paces.

BTW - I don't consider bunnies and squirrels to be varmints. If you shoot them you should eat them.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:49 AM   #32
RyeDaddy

This year we had a problem with raccoons tearing up the deer feeders. So we set up at night in a varmint stand and thought we'd get their numbers down some. Never eaten raccoon, so thought I'd try that as well. Around mid ight we hadn't seen anything but the deer, so we packed it up and got in the truck to go back and get some sleep. Driving back (my brother, father in law and myself) we saw a big fat raccoon run across the path. My father in law slammed on the brakes and I jumped out with just my Glock 20. Chased him to a tree, and he was up about 5 feet above eye level. It's all oaks around us where we hunt, and there's no one for a mile or so, so I had no worries about shooting up into the tree. Could only see the lower half of his body as he scrambled, so I aimed where I figured his chest would be and fired.

Heard nothing but he was moving up faster, so I fired 5 more times. Nothing. Hmmm... Could I have missed that close?

Figured I must have, but didn't hear anything else so figured he may hav gotten around the back of the tree and run off. I go back to the truck 10 feet away and they're laughing, and ask "did you get him or what?" I said I thought he got away, and just then we heard the "thump" as he fell to the ground. Turns out I had hit him 5 out of 6 shots, just didn't fall till a minute later. Big fatty, made such a mess I couldn't eat him.

Didn't think 'coons were so tough. Would've thought the 10mm would have dropped him at the first shot.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:00 AM   #33
aarondhgraham

Rabbits with a .38 Special,,,

When I was a teeny kid,,,
My uncle let me walk with him as he hunted,,,
I willingly took on the duties of a retriever for the hunt.

He'd pop a bunny,,,
I'd run and stuff it in the sack.

I can't remember what brand/model his revolver was,,,
I just know it was a very long barreled .38 Special.

The only reason I am sure it was a .38 Special,,,
Was that he would let me have the empty cartridges.

I've talked to a lot of old timers here in Okieland,,,
Apparently using a .38 for rabbits and groundhogs was common.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 13, 2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Death from Afar

Rabbits with:

a .455 Martini Henry
a .303
a .300 win mag
....and a M2 .5 BMG - but please dont tell the Officer Cadet School staff- they would have had a sense of humour malfunction
Old January 15, 2011, 06:09 AM   #35
lt dan

used a 375H&H on a crow!! neckshot!!!
Old January 15, 2011, 07:34 AM   #36
mete

I watched a jackrabbit hit at 30 yds with a 340 Weatherby , 200 gr bullet. The only thing left was the head and ears !
Old January 20, 2011, 11:39 AM   #37
joe poteat

Yot with 45-70
Old January 20, 2011, 03:40 PM   #38
SadesBlack

Possessed Demon Racoon

My husband & I went spotlighting at my parents ranch in south Texas a couple of years ago with my brother & mom. It was one of my first times to go, so I was pretty excited. It didn't take us long to find a big, fat raccoon hiding up a tree by a dry creek bed. I had been dying to use my new Walther .22 pistol so we went hiking to the bottom of the tree and I proceeded to shoot said raccoon. After the first couple of shots, when nothing happened, I started to wonder if something was wrong with either me or my gun. The coon just kept looking down at us from a 'Y' in the branches at the top of the tree. I fired a few more shots...still nothing. The only thing that told us I was hitting it was it would flinch almost every shot and we saw some blood drip to the ground. I ended up burying all 10 rounds in various areas of the raccoon & even more from the next clip before we were really starting to worry. I had shot at the raccoon 19 times with my pistol and it was still up there looking down at us like nothing was even wrong. At this point it wasn't even funny in the slightest...I am no newbie when it comes to shooting guns. We were all starting to wonder if we were encountering something from the supernatural when the coon finally tumbled from its perch and smacked into the ground, a good 30 foot drop. We all jumped back and every one of us had our lights on it. The thing was covered with blood and started to hiss and growl at us. I was now out of bullets since I had left the rest at the truck (how stupid, right?), so my husband pulled out his .45. The coon was still hissing and spitting when he shot it in the head. Believe it or not, the raccoon didn't die...it started crawling slowly towards him, still snarling! He shot it 4 more times in the face before it stopped and breathed it's last breath. We were so stunned we didn't know what to do...none of us wanted to go anywhere near the thing for fear of its abilities to apparently defy death! After 5 more minutes we declared it safely expired with half of its head/face gone and my brother bonked it on the head a couple times with a large branch for good measure. We left that raccoon there and still get the creeps when we talk about the "Possessed Demon Raccoon"...

I swear this story is absolutely true, I do not care for lies or nonsense...believe it or not!
Old January 20, 2011, 11:44 PM   #39
H&kusp45

I think that may have been a chupacabra!! shoukd have takin it in for dna testing...
Old January 21, 2011, 12:58 AM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I wouldn't call seagulls "varmints", but...

During occupation duty in Korea, lo those many decades ago, I occasionally would liberate a can of Carbine ammo (600 rounds) from the arms shack, talk the lieutenant out of his jeep and go to the beach at Inchon.

Me, the seagulls and an M2 Carbine on full auto. Tons of fun!

What seemed strange to me was that I was one of the few guys in the entire battalion who thought shooting was fun. Go figure...
Old January 21, 2011, 01:44 AM   #41
misskimo

270 , 35 ' and a beaver, broke him in half,
sighting in my 338 win mag shooting at a target with a big mound of dirt behide it, a ground squirrel popped his little head up 2 feet above my target. 25 yards and placed the cross hairs right between his eyes and pulled the trigger. looked up and no squirrel . walked over and their sat the little critter about 10 ' away, we picked it up and it had a hole right between the eyes, also there was a exit hole the same size in the back of its head, I sure thought that 338 would have taking off its head, but must have been the sivertips.

T
Old January 21, 2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Outdoorsman

Woodchuck @ 180yds with 7mm mag.....

Buddy says, "Ya missed him, I saw clay fly"

I said, "This is the river bottoms, there's no clay down there"

The red clay "dust" he saw fly'n wasn't clay of course, was about 90% of that chuck going up in mist.

Was one of the strangest hits I've seen. Chuck was on all fours facing me when I head shot him..... Behind the skull there was nothing inside the hide of the neck, front legs attached by hide to head, nothing left of the rest of that chuck but a few bits we found on weeds. We looked around a bit to, couldn't believe how it vaporized him...

I had 100gr. Hornady's loaded to 3650 fps in the gun as a lighter recoiling "fun" load. Impressive....
Old January 21, 2011, 03:24 PM   #43
aarondhgraham

Way back in time,,,

Around 1975 I won a chunk of change from a fellow Airman in a poker game,,,
He offered me a scoped rifle and a couple of boxes of ammo instead.

Turned out it was a Remington (7-something) in .17 Caliber.

It was a year before I went someplace I could shoot it,,,
Found a rancher who had a bunch of prairie dogs.

This is not so much unusual as it was impressive,,,
That 4,000+ fps cartridge left nothing but a headless torso.

It truly made a red mist,,,
I've never seen anything like it.

Wish I would have kept that rifle.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 27, 2011, 12:00 PM   #44
sgtjimh

How about a jackrabbit at about 6 feet with an old 303 enfield, Pocket gopher with a rossi 44 mag loaded with Hornady 270 gr gold dots. Pretty much reduced both of them to their component parts.
Old January 27, 2011, 02:30 PM   #45
Sensai

When I was a young teenager (many years ago) my friends and I would shoot rats at the local dump. It was perfectly legal, amd even encouraged by the local constabulary. We always used 22's, except for this one time. I don't remember how it started, but we decided that our dad's deer rifles would be excellent rat rifles. My dad's rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30. The rats didn't fare too well, but when my dad found out where his ammo had gone my behind fared much worse. I guess "if you play, you pay" is a true adage.

Take-offs are optional, landings are manditory!!
Old January 27, 2011, 03:07 PM   #46
Edward429451

I was deer hunting and a Fox squirrel started sounding the alarm that I was there. That arrogant litle cuss came all the out to the end of the branch and would not shut up. I head shot him right between the ears with my G21 and all was silent again. Into the pouch he went. Walking back to camp at duskI jumed a rabbit. He ran ahead and stopped to look...bad idea. I held 2" over his head with my 30/06 180 and hit him in the neck. I walked up to where he was and saw nothing, no blood or anything. Further investigation revealed a rabbit hole under a bush with hind legs sticking out. I knocked him into his hole. I ate him too. :-P
Old January 29, 2011, 08:56 AM   #47
tchunter

Red squirel with a .270 eye level on a tree. It was a perfect 50/50 split!
Old January 31, 2011, 09:26 AM   #48
M.O.A.

i shoot long range squirel all the time out my back door with whatever i feel like grabbing mostly my 223 at 200 yards make for some fun days
Old February 1, 2011, 05:33 PM   #49
cole k

I once field dressed a bob cat at a 120 yards with a 180 gr CoreLokt from a .30-06.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:51 PM   #50
m.p.driver

Due to our rabbit population dwindling, feral cats with an AR and then a .300 Win Mag.Nothing says meow like death from afar.