The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1
stevieboy

Sig Sauer 226 X5 vs. Smith 952?

My 65th birthday is coming up in a few months and I want to treat myself to something nice. Really nice. My search is on for the ultimate 9mm handgun, not a combat gun, but a gun that is a top of the line range performer. I'd thought I'd settled on the Smith & Wesson 952, a gun that's reknowned for its accuracy. But, recently, a couple of people mentioned the Sig 226 X5 to me as being the ultimate in 9mm performance and accuracy.

I'd never heard about this gun and I know nothing about it. Do any of you folks have any information about or experience with it? I'm all eyes and ears.
Old December 20, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2
proxpilot

i would give my left testi for an X5
Old December 20, 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
WVsig

Wait and get a new P210...

http://www.sigsauer.de/index.php?id=1024&lang=en

-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old December 20, 2010, 09:22 PM   #4
geetarman

I have a P229 Elite in stainless steel that is superb. I really like 9mm and the only other gun I have that comes close is a CZ SP01.

The CZ is a GREAT shooter and reliable as all get out. There is just SOMETHING about the Sig weight and balance that really appeals to me. I have shot it probably 2500 times and it just gets better and better. It is the gun on my nightstand.

Geetarman
Old December 20, 2010, 09:24 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
I have a P229 Elite in stainless steel that is superb.
Sorry but the P229 Elite is not in the same class as the 226 X5 or the smith 952.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6
sparky241

wvsig that is beautiful, when are they coming out?

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
Old December 20, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7
WVsig

Not sure... It is my understanding that they are being produced for Europe as we speak. I have heard they will be in the US during 2011. Wild Alaska might know more. He is pretty dialed in with Sig.
Old December 20, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8
AustinTX

Click here for one owner's review that includes both the X-Five and the PC952 (and the Sig P210).
BERETTA Billennium (x4)|92 Steel I (x4)|92G Elite II|92FS (x4)|8045F|84BB—SIG P210-5 (x2)|P210-6 (x3)|P49—SIG SAUER P226 X6|P226 X5 (x2)|P220|P228|P229—HK P7M10 (x2)|USP Elite—COLT Gold Cup NM (x2)|Python (x4)|OM Match|OM|Ofc Police—S&W 41|57|57|48—BROWNING HP—VALMET Lahti—MAUSER Luger|HSc|1910—USFA 1910—FREEDOM ARMS 83—MAB PA15—BENELLI B76—SAVAGE 1917—WALTHER P38 (x2)|PPS—GLOCK 17—RUGER P89—ČZ 75 Champion|52—RADOM Tokarev—IZHEVSK Makarov—ARSENAL Makarov—FÉG ACK—KAHR P380
Old December 21, 2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Distortion

Well, X-5's are named because they have 5 inch barrels, which help with accuracy. So, then, if no one told you, SIG also has the X-6 series: SIG Mastershop series

Personally, I would check out the CZ Tactical Sport (which has a 5.4" barrel), or a custom Tactical Sport or the Czechmate.
Old December 21, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
WVsig

The Smith 952 while not my cup of tea is a performance center gun with an incredible pedigree. The Performance center is known for making exceptional guns and the 952 is no exception. It is one of the most accurate 9mm on the market right out of the box. There have been reports of QC issues in recent guns 2009... Again they are not my cup of tea so I have not looked too deeply into them.

Barrel length and sight radius make the P226 x5 a better shooting pistol in terms of accuracy. The manufacturing of the X series pistols is more akin to semi-custom built 1911s than the mass production work done on a Sig Elite.

The Elites are good guns but they really are nothing more than a standard P series gun with a beavertail, front cocking serrations, front strap checkering and wood grips.

Last edited by WVsig; December 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old December 21, 2010, 01:22 PM   #11
stevieboy

Wow, decisions, decisions. My go to 9mm presently is a CZ 75B SA for which I paid all of $500. It's a truly fine gun, and, although lacking a bit in fit and finish, it gets me 2-3" groups at 25 yards, is totally reliable, has simply superb ergonomics. Stepping up to something like a 952 or a 226 X-5 is something I've thought a lot about. Based on what I've read so far, I'm still totally on the fence. Does anyone actually own a Sig 226? What's it like to take down and reassemble? I hear that the 952 has some issues in that department although nothing that should be insurmountable.
Old December 21, 2010, 02:31 PM   #12
G. Freeman

I used to have a 952. It is a very beautiful pistol to look at, but that's where it ended for me. It was very sharp all over--the corners of the front strap and backstrap, the grip tang, and safety. It was very difficult and painful to shoot even for short periods. I got rid of it and got a P226ST. The level of comfort was day and night.

Have you ever considered an STI Trojan? I've heard many good things about this. Also, a Les Baer P-2 in 9mm would be a great pistol also in 9mm.

You can't go wrong with the all stainless Sig. I recommend that you research the Sigforum as well. I read a long time ago the the X-5's sufferred from FTE's, but thay may have been only a few isolated cases a long time ago.
Old December 21, 2010, 02:38 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
What's it like to take down and reassemble? I hear that the 952 has some issues in that department although nothing that should be insurmountable.
It's the requirement to carefully align the "titanium-coated spherical" barrel bushing with the slide housing that causes the most grief when reassembling the Model 952 (along with the Model 945 that has a similar bushing made by Briley). The good news is that, with a little practice and judicious wiggling of the two parts, you will soon get the hang of it.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
insolentshrew

If it were me, my first choice would probably be a sig x5 or x6, but for the sake of options. I hear those cz customs are good shooters. A gun that I have only heard good things about that has yet to be mentioned.

Beretta Steel I

Also they may not be the newest 9mm out there but no one will doubt it is one of the best and most accurate, could get a FN hi power
Old December 21, 2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

I, too, am reminded of a story...

One upon a time, some people got into a whizzing match that was off topic and snarky.

A big, bad ogre came and squashed them all, and everyone else lived happily ever after in search of their perfect gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 21, 2010, 06:27 PM   #16
WVsig

I think that it all boils down to which one feels better in your hand. I have thought about an Sig x-5 many times.

I am waiting to hold the new P210 and then choose....
Old December 21, 2010, 06:50 PM   #17
ShootingNut

insoletshrew

MY gun, and I love it!
I want a Sig in .45, but a Beretta Inox 9mm is a real piece of art!
SN
Old December 21, 2010, 07:01 PM   #18
gregjc9

Quote:
My go to 9mm presently is a CZ 75B SA for which I paid all of $500.
You might think about a 75SA Target. I have one, and it's unbelievably accurate, comfortable, and fun to shoot. However, if I was going to treat myself and have no regrets about spending that kind of cash, the X5 would be my choice. Good luck on your decision.

Greg
Old December 21, 2010, 07:44 PM   #19
geetarman

ShootingNut,

I gave a P220 with alloy frame to my son in law and have a stainless P220 carry. Both are nice guns. The 220 I kept is getting better trigger wise and had a problem that Sig fixed by changing the barrel out. That gun has about 300 rounds since the new barrel was installed.

I have two CZs and they are pretty under rated. I bought the SP01 9mm and had a trigger job done on the gun at the custom shop here in Mesa. I left the firing pin block in the gun and had the competition hammer and trigger installed.

Had a couple of failures to fire with the 13 lb. spring and had that replaced with a 15 lb. spring and the gun runs fine. You can still "feel" the trigger as it has a little drag when the firing pin block is moved by the trigger.

While I was at the custom shop, Angus Hobdell was also there. They had a couple of custom shop guns there and I told him I was looking for a .45 and asked him if there was a CZ97 in stock.

He showed me a 97 and told me that if I put the competition hammer and spring kit in it and removed the firing pin block, it would make a world of difference in the trigger pull compared to the SP01.

I let them do that and the trigger is 3.75 lbs. as measured with a gage.

It feels more like 8 ounces. Very nice with a short reset. I think I will do the same with the SP01. I really like the screw in barrel bushing.

Both guns shoot really nice.

I like the way the Sigs fieldstrip better than the CZs but they both are easy enough.

Oddly enough, even though CZ is popular at Rio Salado and the custom shop is located here, the guns really flew under my radar.

I think the Sigs show more refinement in the machining than the CZs, but there is no question that the guns function fine.

I regularly shoot .45s in Smith and Wesson, Glock, Sig and CZ.

It is hard to pick a favorite.

Geetarman
Old December 21, 2010, 10:08 PM   #20
Jim Watson

I haven't shot an X Five. If they care to sign Team Mediocre up for sponsorship, I'll have GGI trim an X Five Tackytickle's beavertail and ambi safety so it will go in the IDPA Box.

Otherwise, I have shot other people's 952s from time to time. If they had stayed with the 952, I might well have bought one but they kept messing with it in the 952-1 (grip safety) and 952-2 (stainless and much higher price) which kind of discouraged me. Darn thing is now more than I paid for my P210-6. Which is a very fine pistol itself.

See if you can track down a S&W PPC-9.
It is a police only model for PPC competition (edit to omit rant) but they turn up on the secondary market every now and then. I have seen one shot by a Master shooter in side by side comparison with a 952 and it was the more accurate gun.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:37 PM   #21
proxpilot

Quote:
Does anyone actually own a Sig 226? What's it like to take down and reassemble?
I do and it's easy as pie. lock slide back, flip take down lever down, unlock and slide off. done. 5 seconds. you will love it guaranteed!
Old December 21, 2010, 11:29 PM   #22
Wildalaska

The new SIG 210 will be released at SHOT. As you can see (or read) it is an "improved" version, sort of like a Series 80 Colt is an improvement of the original 1911

Estimated retail will be 3K. They are going to be in short supply for a while.....I have a 210-1 and am perfectly happy with it, my judgement would be to find a pristine 210-6 (swiss made), should run you about $2600.

Failing that, wait for the new SIG 210. Bet they are here in significant numbers in the summer and in this economy, they should not be a fast sell.

WildiwilltakecreditforitsinceihavebeenannoyingsigforfiveyearsandiamveryannoyingAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 22, 2010, 10:54 AM   #23
johnbt

On an impulse, I bought a Sig X-5 Tactical with a threaded barrel. Alloy frame, 4.5 pound trigger pull and night sights. I really like it, it's accurate and great to shoot SO FAR, BUT...

There have been, and still are, problems reported with the internal extractor in these models. They aren't always reliable and appear to lose reliability at some point - like the extractor is losing tension or wearing out or something. I can think of one report of Sig buying an X-5 back when they couldn't get it to run correctly.

I only know what I've read on sigforum. Bruce Gray/Grayguns has designed a replacement extractor, but hasn't found anyone to manufacture it. Maybe Sig will figure it out.

Sigh.

Anybody want to buy a $1399 gun? I should have bought another Python.

John

P.S. - The problem appears to revolve around the fact that the extractor isn't centered on the edge of the rim, but offset. It's sort of like you'd try to snag something with the corner of your fingernail instead the end where you'd get full contact and a better grip.
Old December 22, 2010, 11:05 AM   #24
johnbt

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/9530035922

Here's a recent 5-page thread on the X-5 problem.
Old December 22, 2010, 01:51 PM   #25
stevieboy

Yikes I read that entire thread and it's disturbing. I know, I know, anecdotes have a way of becoming magnified in these forums (don't even get me started on Smith & Wesson lock rants) but the problem -- as described over at the Sig forum -- seems to be pretty serious. The upshot appears to be that there's a flaw in the gun's internal extractor design leading to failure after a few thousand rounds. Several posters suggested that Sig may switch over to an external extractor in the future in order to deal with the problem. Others suggested that the problem can be solved by removing the extractor and manually bending it.

Removing and manually bending an extractor on a $2000+ gun? I don't think so. I'm not going to plunk down that type of money if there's a chance that I might be buying something with a design flaw.

I've always been partial to external extractors, they seem to me to be more rugged and hence, more reliable, than the internal models. Yes, most 1911s come with the internal variety -- based on the original design -- but my S & W 1911 has an external extractor the size of my forearm and it works like a champ. So does my CZ. I'm going to have to think hard about this but, perhaps I ought to focus on getting that 952 -- equipped as it is with a Smith's typically gigantic external extractor.