The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Single Six

Stretching Mag Springs?

I know we've all heard it before: Unload your pistol mags periodically, and also download by one round. Doing these things will keep your springs from "taking a set". Now, I confess: With my Sig P220 mags, which is what I'm issued by my agency, I don't do either one. The range officer chewed me out for downloading by one, and as far as unloading them frequently, I just don't do it often. Result: All 3 mags for the gun will not lock open the slide after the last round is fired. BUT, they will if I disassemble the mags and give the springs a bit of a stretching. Does anyone else do this, has it caused you any problems, and more to the point: Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Thanks, all.
Old December 20, 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Icopy1

A former gunsmith I know recommended doing that in all semi autos. He said it was a poor man's extra power spring. Personally, I prefer to spend the few bucks for a real extra power spring from Wolff, especially in my carry guns.
Old December 20, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
beex215

ive heard stretching it will weaken it
Old December 20, 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Stretching a compression spring ruins it.
Apparently this damages the structure of the spring, and it will not only quickly return to the shape it was before stretching, it collapses even farther quickly.

If you've stretched springs, replace them immediately.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
fastbolt

Go talk to your agency's Sig pistol armorer.

If your P220 magazines won't lock back the slide when the last round is fired, and/or when the armorer briskly manually runs the slide for an inspection, he'll likely replace your mag springs. Checking the springs is part of the normal armorer inspection and maintenance. How long since your last armorer inspection?

Stretching mag springs is NOT a good idea. Time for new mag springs. Might as well inspect the recoil spring for strand element separation at the end or the core element protruding or receding, too.

There's no reason not to fully load your duty mags as long as the armorer is periodically inspecting the guns and checking the springs, and the mags are demonstrating normal feeding and functioning.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
orionengnr

Springs are cheap. Your life isn't.
Replace them, don't play with them.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:51 PM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
Does anyone think this is a bad idea?
Yes! Especially if you are depending on pistol for SD.
Old December 20, 2010, 07:58 PM   #8
proxpilot

sorry to hijack here for a second guys, but since we are talking about 220's and mag springs i might as well ask. i took apart my two mags and the springs in each one were facing different ways. is the smaller end of the spring supposed to face the top or the bottom?
Old December 20, 2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

P220, I believe it is smaller end to the top. Top loop wraps around the end the bullet sits above.

When springs are flexed they wear. Loading and unloading magazines is what wears them out eventually. Stretching them may work for a short time but it isn't a fix by any means. Springs are cheap and should always be replaced when they are too weak to lift the slide catch lever.

Cleaning out the tube is a good thing to do when you replace the spring. If you are going to lubricate the tube and or spring I suggest using something like dry Teflon to do this. Gunk brand Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant does a nice job. Just make sure you shake it up well before using it. The liquid carrier cleans pretty good and only leave a dry Teflon film behind when it dries.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:58 PM   #10
proxpilot

thanks Dave
Old December 20, 2010, 11:26 PM   #11
8shot357

I would think it would make it worse.
Old December 20, 2010, 11:56 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Correct. Any time you stretch or compress a spring so much that it won't return to its initial length then the spring has been irreparably damaged.

Stretching magazine springs is ONLY recommended as an emergency field expedient. It may help the magazine work better for awhile but the effect won't last and when it starts weakening again it will go bad more quickly.

Rotating your magazines is of minimal value. If the design overcompresses the springs with the magazines fully loaded then rotating the mags will slow the process a little but it won't stop it.

You can replace your springs at regular intervals and continue with your current approach (not downloading or rotating). I believe that this is the paradigm that some European pistol designers embrace. They treat springs like a normal wear item and expect the armorer to regularly service the firearm and replace springs as necessary or as recommended.

--or--

Download your magazines by a round or two and the springs should last indefinitely if they're good quality.

--or--

You can also try some aftermarket springs to see if they hold up better.

Whatever approach you try, you should occasionally check the magazines to insure that they're still operating properly. If the approach you try initially doesn't work then you can try another approach or a combination of approaches.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Correct. Any time you stretch or compress a spring so much that it won't return to its initial length then the spring has been irreparably damaged.
+1.

Stretching your springs is just a bad idea.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:28 AM   #14
Skadoosh

Quote:
I know we've all heard it before: Unload your pistol mags periodically, and also download by one round. Doing these things will keep your springs from "taking a set".

I have always heard that frequent compression and decompression is what wears out a spring. I will keep my magazines loaded to capacity and will manually decompress them only when absolutely necessary.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:59 AM   #15
demigod

Quote:
I have always heard that frequent compression and decompression is what wears out a spring. I will keep my magazines loaded to capacity and will manually decompress them only when absolutely necessary.
This is overkill. Decent Mag springs will last thousands of compression cycles. You'd wear a gun out trying to exhaust a mag spring.

Check out the stainless steel action spring in an AR. It's good for at least 5k cycles. Assume a mag spring would only last 5k cycles and multiply that by the capacity of the mag.....
Old December 21, 2010, 09:18 AM   #16
insolentshrew

As I am sure you have figured out, the dead horse has been beaten but I will still contribute! A properly designed mag with the right mag spring should not have to be downgraded a round to prolong spring life. Also how the springs are made, it is the compression THEN decompression that wears the spring down. Sitting compressed I am sure has a slight effect on it, but it is being decompressed after being compressed that causes the wear. You should not have to worry about your mag sitting fully loaded for any amount of time unless you are already experiencing mag spring issues.

Whoever said they go with the wolf spring that is even more tense, my outlook is that any quality firearm is going to have a good spring in their mags from the factory. I am sure there are exceptions, but I would go with the specs on the mag spring from the factory and not get anything beefier.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Skadoosh

Quote:
You'd wear a gun out trying to exhaust a mag spring.
I disagree...a lot of problems with semi-autos on the firing line can be attributed to worn out or weak magazine springs. A problem which is more common than you imply.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:04 AM   #18
Jim Watson

It takes a lot of use to wear out the spring in a real 7 shot 1911 magazine.
But when they pushed them to 8, something had to give and the spring was it. When shooting exclusively IDPA CDP, I had to replace Wilson springs about every other season. Some high volume shooters changed them every year. I think 10 shot single stack .38 Supers were worse.
Current designs steal a little extra length and spring space in wraparound floorplates that look like pads. They hold up better.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:22 AM   #19
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel
Agree.

Springs have an elastic limit. When it is exceeded either in compression or extension, then the spring will no longer operate at the original spring rate...it is ruined.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:44 PM   #20
Single Six

Okay, guys...thanks for all the input. I'll get with my department armorer and see about replacing the mags...and if he gives me any grief about it, I'll buy them myself [what a great excuse to hit the next gun show!]. Thanks again.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:34 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

You shouldn't need to replace the mags. Replace the springs and you should be good to go. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the followers too.
Quote:
It takes a lot of use to wear out the spring in a real 7 shot 1911 magazine.
But when they pushed them to 8, something had to give and the spring was it. When shooting exclusively IDPA CDP, I had to replace Wilson springs about every other season. Some high volume shooters changed them every year.
Correct. Assuming good quality springs, the most likely cause of early "death" is overcompression.

It's true that springs will gradually wear out from being cycled, but if they are overcompressed then they will wear out much faster.

Some magazine designs apparently overcompress the springs enough to cause reduced spring life, especially if the magazines are left loaded. It's not common but it does happen.

As I mentioned earlier, this sort of thing is a non-issue in the mind of some European gun designers. They are designing guns that intended to be serviced regularly by an armorer. The normal wear parts, including some springs will be replaced during normal inspection/maintenance before they start failing. The fact that a $2 spring that will be replaced annually would likely fail after 2 or 3 years if it weren't replaced is a good tradeoff for being able to stuff an additional 1 or 2 rounds into the magazine without making the gun bulkier.

It only becomes a problem if the gun falls into the hands of someone who believes or is told that springs don't wear out.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:53 PM   #22
HotShot.444

It's all "steel" .... or is it?

Automotive coil-spring valve-trains have lasted to well over 500,000 miles. That is a LOT of cycles. While they seldom experience great "extension" moments, still they are nearly always under compression and flex. Does this analogy hold true for magazine-springs? Seems to be, if your springs' molecular composition is damaged by mere use, and the structure of the spring becomes unsound, then you bought the wrong brand of gun. Are all brands' magazine springs exhibiting this same problem? How about non-stock replacement magazines by some of the popular makers; do they lose "set" also? .444

Last edited by HotShot.444; December 21, 2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: A word
Old December 21, 2010, 10:06 PM   #23
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot.444
if your springs' molecular composition is damaged by mere use,
Yes, all (steel) springs are damaged by use. The flexing causes internal friction that finally weakens the spring.

Quote:
How about non-stock replacement magazines by some of the popular makers; do they lose "set" also?
Yes.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:13 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Automotive coil-spring valve-trains have lasted to well over 500,000 miles.
Try to compress a valve-train spring with your thumb enough to make space for 15 rounds and you'll gain an appreciation for why magazine springs aren't quite as robust as valve-train springs.

It is certainly possible to make magazine springs that would last forever. The problem is that you either have to limit the capacity to insure that the springs are never compressed much or you have to make them so robust that they would be impossible to load without some sort of special tool.

Magazine springs are the result of several design tradeoffs. A few of the more obvious ones are listed below.

1. They have to have a compression length that is suitable for an appropriate number of rounds.
2. They can't be too stiff or they will be too hard to load and may damage the rounds.
3. They must provide a reasonable service life.

If, as a gun designer, you value capacity very highly and consider springs to be normal wear items then you might trade off a little of 3 for an improvement in 1.

If you value durability highly you might trade off a little of 1 for a lot of 3.

If you value money you won't trade off 2 for anything.
Old December 22, 2010, 03:58 AM   #25
Amin Parker

I have been stretching springs for years with great success. Buying a new magazine is obviously the best option but stretching it does work