The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2010, 03:31 PM   #1
tostado22

M1A standard rebuild

Hey all,
You have probably seen some of my threads with questions about the M1A. Ive been sending alot of parts home, trying to get all match parts, to be installed when I come home on R&R.

So far I have a new handguard, Sadlack NM piston, Sadlack enlarged mag release, Fulton recoil pad, Sadlack spring guide and spring, NM gas cylinder and recoil buffer. In the future I will be getting a new stock, NM trigger job, then NM sights installed by Fulton Armory. Possibly an adj. gas plug but with the ammo I shoot it shouldnt be an issue. I would do the sight install myself but I dont want to get in too deep as Im fairly new to gunsmithing.

Basically this thread is too show off my weapon and also for anyone who had any advice/tips for this. It should be simple enough since the parts I have so far shouldnt require any fitting. This is mostly just putting new parts on an old rifle. I say old but dont know the exact history.

Its an SA Standard and appears to be in good shape. Im the 3rd owner. The previous owner didnt know the round count but had put a few hundred personally. He just didnt get to get out enough with it so decided to sell it. I havent used any guages on it (however I plan on ordering some today) to check the throat or muzzle but it has pretty good accuracy. I didnt get a chance to put many rounds through it before we deployed but it usually hit what I pointed at. Best way to describe it, I dont have an MOA measurement for it yet haha. Im going to check it all out when Im back home to make sure its all within spec. If not, then its off to get recrowned or whatever it may need. I expect it to be fine.

I should be home in a few weeks, then Ill post pics here of the rifle now, then pics throughout the project. The new stock will really set it off I think tho. This all may not seem like much but I love sitting down and working on guns, even if its just throwing on some new parts. Anyway, I appreciate any comments/questions/tips/advice/bitches/gripes/complaints, that kind of stuff. Thanks

---Below is a pic of the rifle now. This was taken the day I bought it at the guys house. The scope mount has been removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1A.jpg (48.7 KB, 58 views)
Old December 18, 2010, 05:58 PM   #2
alloy

Don't know what spring the Sadlak is but the Tubbs CS is supposedly rated for 200,000 cycles versus maybe 5000 for the stocker. A set of gas cylinder shims might come in handy. I do well with a NM front sight and the regular rear, installation is a no-brainer in the front(nut much in the rear either but the front is simple).
Nice looking rifle, what's the new stock?
What a blast they are.
Old December 18, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3
DnPRK

Replacing the standard sights with match sights is easy, but be sure to get the ones sold by Springfield Armory. They are currently on sale for 30% off.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/st...roducts_id=159

The reason you want to use the SA sights is because they are set up to use a spring loaded ball detent, rather than the spring washer of traditional USGI match sights.
Old December 19, 2010, 01:22 AM   #4
tostado22

I didnt want to do the sights myslef since I had read that they needed some machining to fit just right. That may not be the case with the SA sights though. Ill look into it some more.

The new wood will probably come from Fulton unless I can find another reliable source. Ive looked at Fred's M14 Stocks but I have heard alot of bad things about them despite their deals. I will probably end up going with the walnut standard or medium weight stock though
Old December 19, 2010, 07:10 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

M14firingline has some good articles on fitting the gas cylinder. Do some reading about "dwell time".
Old December 19, 2010, 07:15 AM   #6
tostado22

Awesome, Ive never heard of that site before. Thanks. Ill be spending some time there tonight
Old December 19, 2010, 07:35 AM   #7
tostado22

Another quick question, what exactly is the purpose for new shims in the gas cylinder? That may be a dumb question but Im learning some about the M14 platform as I go along here
Old December 19, 2010, 07:46 AM   #8
alloy

The gas cylinder lock threads on the barrel and holds the gas
cylinder
firm against a shoulder on the barrel. In between the cylinder and barrel shoulder is the band, which orients the barrel to the stock ferrule. This orientation being a constant, means accuracy is on the road to being constant. Similar to forend pressure on a bolt action.
The threaded gas cylinder lock, should tighten up the cylinder against that band, against the barrel shoulder, to hold the orientation of barrel to stock constant.

Basically if your front band is flopping around(like many are from SA) or the lock has to be excessively tightened....a shim can rectify it all.

From the front, the gas lock should snug up around 4-5 oclock, and hold everything in place. Sometimes they don't. Shim.
Unitizing is another answer, but you might want to have your final stock and some bedding in place to delve into that.

The forum link given....will have tons of detail. Heck it likely shoots great as it is.

Last edited by alloy; December 19, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old December 19, 2010, 07:57 AM   #9
tostado22

Thank you, right after I posted that I found an article by Art Lupino. You answered my question tho. And his article talked more in depth about installing the shims and checking the gas lock. Shims will definitely be included in this next order.

Thanks for the replies so far yall
Old December 19, 2010, 08:05 AM   #10
alloy

Once you check that with your new parts....might want to verify the dwell which can be modified. Gas plug shortening or piston tail shortening to get the plug to tighten up correctly and push the op rod into a proper location.....etc.

All very simple, and Art, Gus Fisher and the rest over there have it down to a fine science. Still, no reason to think it doesn't shoot great as it is.
The rest is a tune-up.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:14 AM   #11
tostado22

Alot of the fine tuning will be done at a later time. Im only home for 2 weeks then Im headed back. Once Im back home next year I will put the final touches on. And yes, they have everything down to a science. Every article or guide I find is very impressive.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:27 AM   #12
alloy

Happy Holidays, enjoy the rifle, be safe over there.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:35 AM   #13
tostado22

Will do, thank you. The more I read about this project the more excited I am to do a before/after accuracy test. Thanks for all the help guys
Old December 19, 2010, 08:57 AM   #14
alloy

Last post for me today...
One of my better 100 yard groups to date with a new scout I grabbed late last summer(my second), synthetic stock, and NM front sight, all bone stock...all the things mentioned above were totally out of whack. It struck me as sort of an expensive collection of parts to work with. Band flopping around, handguard jammed in etc. Today I'm working on the bedding into a Boyd's stock, and have the rest of the stuff all worked out.
Point being...you just never know. No doubt everyone around here can put it to shame, but for me it took a good bit to get there, after a couple of years shooting the first one.