The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 17, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
sixgun67

Norinco SKS Value.....

How can I find the current value of a Chinese SKS that I have? I've had it for about 16 years, and have never fired it. Bluing is shiny, no scratches whatsoever, bore is mirror shiny. I've added a folding stock, compensator, and a fixed Chinese 'star' 20 round magazine to it.(think I still have the original 10rd mag also). I have the original spike bayonet that came with it, but it isn't on it currently. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
sixgun

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...hadditions.jpg

Last edited by sixgun67; December 17, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old December 17, 2010, 03:10 PM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

$250-$300 depending on who the buyer is and what they are looking for would seem like a fair stab at current fair pricing. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old December 17, 2010, 03:12 PM   #3
raftman

The short answer the gun is probably worth about the same as one in equivalent condition in its factory original state.

The reason being, you will find that most people will not be willing to pay extra for aftermarket add-ons and modifications like folding stocks or compensators on an SKS. So the value of the gun isn't really going to be greater than one in its factory original state.

There's a lot of purists out there that aren't keen on modifying military surplus type firearms, while most recognize that it's your gun, your money, and you have every right to modify it in any way you see fit (at least within the law), that doesn't mean those people will be willing to pay more for it in the end. I think that's largely because if people want more modern military style rifle they would prefer to buy one purpose-designed that way, rather than a rifle designed in the closing days of WWII that's modified to make it that way.
Old December 17, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
renegadebuck

If you have the original parts, it may be worth more. The Norinco is one of the best. The Russian seems to be more sought after, but in original condition, your's should be worth $350 min, at least around here. (NC) The Yugos are going for that.
Old December 17, 2010, 04:19 PM   #5
seansean1444

owned a gun for 16 years and never shot it? interesting.. im guessing somewhere in the 250-300 dollar range
Old December 17, 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Volucris

I'd pay $250 for an unmolested one.

Put it back in its original state. Never buy tacticool crap just to sell it.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:44 AM   #7
blkft1

Just sold one [Norinco] recently for $275 to a dealer at a show,was asking $300 but was offered $250,we met half way.Everything was original [no tacti-plastic] except bayo and cleaning rod,didnt have them when I bought but I found replacements cheap enough.
If it were me I'd put the 10 rnder back on and sell the star 20 rnder seperately,talking to some dealers they are pretty sought after item.Might gain you a few more $$$'s.
Good Luck!
Old December 18, 2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Jim243

The problem is that unless you made it U.S. compliant you screwed yourself since it is no longer C&R protected and is no longer a legal firearm.

Sorry
Jim
Old December 18, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Lashlarue

I sold my $99 Sks in 2002 for $350.After putting 1500 rds thru it.Spike bayonet and 30 round duckbill mag.
Old December 18, 2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Que

My first SKS was a Norinco back in the 80's that came out of a crate for $88, and $70 if you bought two. I had a Yugo but dumped it. My current two are a 1958 Romanian and a 1959 Chinese Factory 26. When I look at an SKS (just helped my buddy choose one) a gun with aftermarket parts is worth a good bit less to me unless it comes with the orginal parts allowing the gun to be restored to original condition. Anything that has been Bubba'd and cannot be restored is worthless to me. That's just me. For me, other than a peep sight (if need be) these rifles cannot be improved in any significant way without defeating the purpose or without adverse impact on reliability.
Old December 18, 2010, 02:06 PM   #11
tangara

Chinese SKS are not C&R due to China not releasing production numbers. They still need to be 922 compliant.
Old December 18, 2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Que

Quote:
Chinese SKS are not C&R due to China not releasing production numbers. They still need to be 922 compliant.
Yup. Only with Factory 26 rifles can you determine age with any specificity so C&R is out.
Old December 19, 2010, 09:46 AM   #13
sixgun67

Quote:
owned a gun for 16 years and never shot it?
Yep. Bought it from a department store back in '94(along with a brand new MAK 90 that's got less than 100rds thru it currently), cleaned it out of cosmoline, and put it away. I live in a very populated area, so I've never taken it out shooting. Now, it's a different story as far as how much it could have been fired before it was packed up many years ago.

If I decide to sell this rifle, I'll remove the Chinese 20 rounder and sell it seperately. I figure it is an easy $50 on itself.

Yeah, I have all the original parts, so they would go with it. I wouldn't expect to pay any extra for add-ons, and I wouldn't expect anyone else. I was looking for the prices on a stock rifle.

I had a Norinco bought NIB back in '86, took AK magazines. Being an idiot, I sold it a few years later. This was the first Norinco (although with fixed mag) still with the bayonet lug that I had found after that, that I could afford.

Thanks fellas.
sixgun
Old December 19, 2010, 10:07 AM   #14
Que

For your best dollar results I would recommend putting the rifle back in it's original configuration for sale and then sell all of the aftermarket stuff separately.
Old December 19, 2010, 06:27 PM   #15
nefprotector

The Chinese Norinco SKS rifles are going for $450 in my area. That's if you can find one.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:51 PM   #16
confused

Norinco sks seem to go for $300 at the local gun store.Russians about $450 when available.
I held out and found a mint paratrooper on a local forum for $275.
Old December 20, 2010, 01:10 AM   #17
Ignition Override

nefprotector:
With that price for a common Norinco (like mine), what do people there pay for an original Russian SKS, or used, typical "AK clone" with a cheap 30-rd. magazine? They must expect them to pop up in gun stores. We seldom see any in two of the main Memphis/Cordova stores. "Guns and Ammo" seems to never have an SKS.

At this moment on auction site "GB", there are over five pages of SKS rifles.
With most priced too high for the market, only a fraction have bids, and about half or more appear to be Norincos. Even months after the presidential election, they were still avail. here at every area gun show (during the seller-induced ammo panic), as with the "AK clones" and ARs etc.

Guys in your area must not like prices plus shipping & FFL fees, and many GB sellers must be unaware of the added fees.
That's exactly why I stopped making anything except FTF (in person) deals. See you folks later...the gas tube needs cleaning.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 20, 2010 at 01:27 AM.