The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2010, 02:00 AM   #1
mellow_c

Can you wear out a Glock? Pistols in general with high round count.

Heh, well, thats not really my question... of course you can. But I'm really wondering how many rounds does it take to wear out a Glock. Specifically a 9mm.

I've heard here and there that most any semi auto pistol should get a new recoil spring after only 5000 rounds. Is this really true??? How about for semi auto rifles? Or any semi auto pistol in general?

Also I'd like to hear about personally owned pistols with high round counts and how they have faired. Thanks a bunch! :-)

Last edited by mellow_c; December 16, 2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old December 16, 2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Wonder why machine gunners don't have to change their springs?
Old December 16, 2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Amin Parker

Modern 9mm pistols are very tough. Glock pistols have been known to be pretty strong but i would be weary of what you read.

The highest round count i have personally witnessed is a cz75 that did over 80 thousand rounds. It is still working and the only parts changed was a few slide stops, 3 of them if i remember correctly.

I have never witnessed a Glock hit that amount of rounds. We were running a Glock and came to around the 30k mark when the barrel lug sheared off. Glock did replace it. We did go through a numbers of trigger return springs.

As for changing recoil springs every 5k rounds, i think it is pre mature. I change them when i feel i have to walk too far to collect my brass lol. Seriously though, changing springs should never be regarded as routine as it changes lots of things. For example, when i change recoil springs, i regard the gun as new and set about doing reliability testing all over again. This advice is especially true when going to a heavier spring.

A pistol is tougher than we think but shooting puts a lot of strain on the pistol. In more than one direction and on basically all the major components.

The truth is that all guns wear themselves out with normal use. Everytime you pull the trigger you are getting closer to failure. Its the same with cars and everything else.

Last edited by Amin Parker; December 16, 2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old December 16, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
darkgael

round count

Here is a link to a report on an extended test of the Glock 17. This fellow's results are impressive.
http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm

Also - accepted by the Austrian army:
Quote:
. After the manufacture of every 3,000 pistols, a gun picked at random must pass a 10,000-round firing test with parts assembled from five different units.
Glock has noted that there is no significant degradation of accuracy until 15K rounds or so.
http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/17/index.htm

I don't own a 9mm Glock at this point. I do have a Colt Gold Cup 1911 that has, conservatively, about 60K rounds through it. I replace the springs every now and again. Other than that, there has not been a single other thing that I have done other than cleaning and lubricating.
Pete
Old December 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Dc9Loser

This gun-writer went 277,000 rounds through his Glock 17 before anything failed. That after leaving it on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months at one point.

He has since repaired the minor parts failure and he is still rocking with the same G17.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-torture-test/

I really find it funny when old salts trust in steel guns for strength.

- a Glock fan boy who is sick of polymer.
Old December 16, 2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Sixer

Quote:
This gun-writer went 277,000 rounds through his Glock 17 before anything failed. That after leaving it on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months at one point.
The comment after this article is pretty great...

“I show my Kimber to my friends and my Glock to my enemies”

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 16, 2010, 02:09 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Wonder why machine gunners don't have to change their springs?
Because that's the job of the unit armorer, or support level maintenance!

Springs get checked for length during maint. inspections. As long as the are the proper length (or longer), they don't get changed. Until/unless they fail in action.

Same for barrels. If they aren't bent, and pass the erosion gauge, they are good, even if you can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside!

Of course, that's for regular issue weapons. Target guns get more care, but htey don't go out on patrol, either.

In the 70s, US standard for overseas (for the M16) shipment was 8 MOA! (I've still got the manul around here somewhere). If it wouldn't shoot better than 8 MOA, it stayed in the states, for trainiing!

As to wearing out a pistol (particularly a GLock), sure, you can. Everything mechanical will wear out, if it is used enough. As long as the frame doesn't fail, evey part can be replaced when needed, and you still have the "same" gun. A quarter million rounds through a GLock? OK, good for you. Still the original barrel? How's it shoot?

The little bit of the article I could read mentions replaceing magazine springs, down loading the mags to only 15 instead of 17, to preserve spring life, and replacing the worn down front sight. Parts wear, and need to be replaced. That's a fact of life.

I have worn out and broken parts on many guns in my life, but I have never worn one out to the point where the frame had to be replaced, and I doubt I ever will. So, how many rounds a GLock, or any other pistol will "last" is a moot point, to me.
Old December 16, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
GLOCK22

I agree with that be weary about you read. Because I have own plenty of glocks. Gen 1, 2,3 from 9mm all the way up to .45acp and shot thousands of rounds through each and I have never change out any springs. In fact the more rounds you put through the glocks- they only shoot better and they will shoot just about any thing you feed them.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Skans

All of this talk about how long Glocks will last forever, and I'm thinking about writing my epitaph into my Glock, or perhaps write my life history into a scroll of parchment and seal it up inside my Glock's hollow grip/backstrap - or whatever you Glockites call that void.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:35 PM   #10
voyager4520

In the Glock factory in Austria, there's a display with a well-worn 1st Gen G17 with a certificate next to it. The certificate is from the Hirtenberger company and states that the G17 next to it was test-fired by their company for 348,210 rounds. Through the testing, various springs had to be replaced as expected.

I don't know why they stopped at that round count, they probably figured that going any further was pointless.

With Glocks it's recommended that the guide rod and spring assembly be replaced every 3,000-5,000 rounds. The 9mm Glocks could probably go 5,000 rounds on the same spring quite easily, the lower round count range would probably be for the other cartridges.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:32 PM   #11
mellow_c

That was a bunch of wonderful information. Thank you all!
Any other pistols with high round count to report? 1911's? XD's? Sig's? Anything...

Voyager4520... Where did you hear that it's' recommended to replace the guide rod and spring assembly every 3000-5000 on glocks?
Old December 16, 2010, 10:18 PM   #12
voyager4520

Quote:
Voyager4520... Where did you hear that it's' recommended to replace the guide rod and spring assembly every 3000-5000 on glocks?
From a few Glock Armorers who said that's what they were told in Armorer's class.
Old December 16, 2010, 10:37 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

You might be able to go a bit longer than that between recoil spring changes in a 9mm but if you try to economize on recoil springs in a .40 Glock you're going to put unnecessary wear on your pistol. The Gen 4 recoil spring was intended to address recoil spring issues in the .40 cal Glocks.
Old December 17, 2010, 12:15 AM   #14
mellow_c

Thanks for the replies.
So I'm assuming it would be good to change out recoil springs on my S&W Sigma 9mm after 5000 rounds or so, as well as in a Glock 9mm. And probably about the same in a XD .45? What about in a 1911?

While we're at it... what other springs should one consider changing? and at what round count?
Old December 17, 2010, 05:40 AM   #15
darkgael

springs

Spring changes in 1911s. .As mentioned in post #4, "every now and then".
That's just me.....I couldn't tell you exactly how many rounds go down the barrel between spring changes. I do know that it is way more than 5K. If I had to guess, I'd say that it is double that from new spring to new spring.
The gun, though, is a Bullseye pistol and is not firing Ball ammo all the time. On the rare occasions when I use it with Ball, I insert an 16-18 lb. spring. There is always a buffer on the guide rod.
Pete
Old December 17, 2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c
Any other pistols with high round count to report?
Not necessarily a high round count, but check out this press release about the CZ P-01 on the extreme testing it endured to get NATO certification.
Old December 17, 2010, 11:59 PM   #17
ChihuahuaTN

“I show my Kimber to my friends and my Glock to my enemies”

WOW what a great quote!
Old December 18, 2010, 03:05 AM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
I have worn out and broken parts on many guns in my life, but I have never worn one out to the point where the frame had to be replaced, and I doubt I ever will.
Between 1982 and 1986 or so I wore out a S&W 39 with 25,000 rounds of 9mm.

By wore out I mean that the slide to frame fit on my once nice tight Smith became looser than a Chicago politicians morals. Shaking the gun made it rattle like two steel marbles playing Rollerball in Harry Reids skull.

Sold it. I had my aluminum phase and my plastic phase (yes I owned a Glock once) but now its steel steel steel.

WilditmustbesteelAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 21, 2010, 11:18 AM   #19
jonsparks

I read about some guy that had 13,000 rounds through a HiPoint 9mm.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:07 PM   #20
Neal_G.

I don't understand why your average shooter worries if they'll be able to shoot $10,000-$20,000+ worth of ammo through a $500 gun...

Its a non-issue.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:01 PM   #21
mellow_c

I'm just wondering when springs "should" be replaced for reliable function. Also, it's fun to know what other people's pistols have endured as far as round count.
Will I ever put 50,000 rounds though my glock? Only one way to find out...

Keep shooting
Old December 22, 2010, 11:02 PM   #22
RUT

>>I don't understand why your average shooter worries if they'll be able to shoot $10,000-$20,000+ worth of ammo through a $500 gun...<<

My thoughts precisely!!
Old December 23, 2010, 02:53 AM   #23
mellow_c

Maybe I'm not your average shooter. Maybe I'm not worried about it. Maybe I'm just curious. Maybe I thought it would be a fun question to ask. Maybe once you've shot $5,000 of ammo out of a $500 gun you will have grown fond of it... seen you though some good times, have sentimental value. Maybe I might want to shoot another $5,000 of ammo through it. Maybe I reload and can afford to shoot that much.

Maybe someone might like to use something like a knife or gun until it's worn so much that it can no longer function. Maybe it's fun to take care of something the best you can and see how long it lasts. Maybe you guys could now understand why someone might like to know if they can shot thousands of dollars worth of ammo out of a $500 gun. Maybe maybe maybe this thread is about done.... lol

Thanks for the posts.

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by mellow_c; December 23, 2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:51 PM   #24
Sevens

229,885 rounds.

No, that's not how many rounds I've put through any of my handguns. But you guys toss around "$20,000 worth of ammo" like you know what ammo costs. You guys could be buying Gold Dots from Gander Mountain for all I know. Maybe you buy your ammo in Canada.

Many (most?) folks that would put tens of thousands of rounds through a single handgun roll their own ammo. So if you bankrolled my 9mm ammo with your big twenty grand, I'd have to head toward a quarter million loud trigger pulls to spend your dough.

God forbid what a bullet caster with scrounged lead could make with twenty thousand dollars of ammo, but you could get all the active posters in this forum together and we'd be going nuts just loading the magazines.

So while you try to make the point that you don't think this thread subject is worthy of being discussed, I think it's interesting discussion.
Quote:
Maybe once you've shot $5,000 of ammo out of a $500 gun you will have grown fond of it... seen you though some good times, have sentimental value.
I hear ya -- for me, that'd be over 57,000 rounds through it, and heck yeah, I'd be attached to the handgun at that point.
Old December 25, 2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Distortion

I can't believe no one has posted this older Glock Torture Test, the one where an owner at one point dropped his Glock 21 out of an airplane, found it and it still fired...