Old December 15, 2010, 06:59 PM   #26
Donaldjr1969

Section 8 housing projects...
Old December 15, 2010, 07:40 PM   #27
orionengnr

School Board meetings?
Old December 15, 2010, 07:42 PM   #28
DiscoRacing

Rest areas...since I travel alone alot..and last year was approached at 1:30am at a rest area in Illinois.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:50 PM   #29
motorhead0922

Quote:
The places that prohibit carry.
+2
Old December 15, 2010, 07:59 PM   #30
ClayInTx

Almost any downtown area at night.
Convenience stores and gas stations at night.
Isolated business of any kind which has a cash trade.

Late at night if I don’t have it I don’t go get it.

Not really places to not stop in, but places to use.

When traveling I use the truck stops at night.

Even in daylight I’m watchful in rest areas and don’t use those unless nature is insisting.

However,
During daylight, letting a fast food waitress see into my wallet got me stalked on the road once.
Old December 15, 2010, 08:07 PM   #31
X_shooter

Quote:
Popeye's
Mmmmmmm Popeye's. My friends and I used to joke that you knew you were in a dangerous part of town if you saw a Popeye's chicken. Anecdotal evidence of course nothing emperical to show except maybe New Orleans. Of course it backfired when they built one in our area.

Fast food drive throughs. Watch out while making transactions or just waiting in line for your food. I won't go to one that is curbed in anymore or has some barrier preventing me from bugging out at the first sign of trouble.

I had a guy walk up behind me while I was handing my money to the cashier at the window (Popeye's). It was dark, raining like hell, in a bonafide bad part of town, and I was much younger and not quite as wise as I am today. Luckily he was just begging for food. It won't happen again.
Old December 15, 2010, 08:07 PM   #32
HotShot.444

Troll hang-out places, like ....

" Gee I wonder how dangerous Little Tokyo is in LA, or your local Korea Town is? ", and TFL. Please.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:29 PM   #33
jmortimer

If you are white most any urban area with "poor" people - at least going by statistics.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:38 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

I always figure such an event would be most common at night, but I am not too many places where I think such things are likely to happen.

I am not particulary fearful in places where concealed carry is not allowed. Despite claims of being free fire zones (the antithesis of the cry of "blood in the streets" when concealed carry is allowed), I can't say that I have see any data to support that such areas are more apt to be robbed or peope to be harmed. The extremes claimed by both sides do not seem to materialize.

The one place that bothers me most is convenience stores, especially at night. Being a clerk in one is supposedly very dangerous and yet it seems very dangerous for bad guys to rob them given the number that are manned by armed employees. Bad guys know that the folks in conenient stores may be armed and still opt to take their chances.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:51 PM   #35
Jeremiah/Az

When I get called for jury duty, almost every year, in downtown Phoenix, you have to walk several blocks from parking to the courthouse. It's an area where the homeless congregate in groups. So far just beggars, but you never know. How close do you let them get to you? They can be hard to stop from getting close.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:38 PM   #36
KLRANGL

Irony. Someone was robbed one block from where I park my car (place I mentioned earlier in this thread) 20 minutes after I left this evening...
Old December 15, 2010, 10:59 PM   #37
Glenn Dee

That pre-concieved place in your head, and being acosted by that pre-concieved looking person in your head... is the most dangerous place you can be.

Crime can and will happen anywhere. Crime can and will happen to anyone. Your assailent can and may look like anyone.

Believing that any particular kind of a person will be the one to attack you is folley. IMO the most likely the person to visit violence upon you will be someone you know. The kind of a person most likely to be a victim of violent criminal behaviour is the criminals themselves.

Unless you frequent, or work in an area where crime is uncontroled, it's unlikely that you become a victim. In fact I believe that it's far more likely that the average person become a victim of confedence game, or larceny than a victim of a violent criminal.

Glenn Dee
Old December 15, 2010, 11:51 PM   #38
Wildalaska

Quote:
Troll hang-out places, like ....
" Gee I wonder how dangerous Little Tokyo is in LA, or your local Korea Town is? ", and TFL. Please.
No you "Please".

With your peurile "Amerika" and anti immigrant snideness

Yeah, I'm a troll

WildamerikaindeedAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 16, 2010, 12:04 AM   #39
Onward Allusion

Like some have said - anywhere can be "dangerous". However, some of the more obvious places might be:
- indoor parking garages
- gas stations
- convenience stores
- Walmart
- ATM
- parks and/or forest/nature preserves
- parking lots

Basically high traffic areas or out of the way areas - either side of the bell curve.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old December 16, 2010, 12:06 AM   #40
Buzzcook

Any place alcohol is served.

I lived and worked in San Fransisco's Tenderloin district and Seattle's Skid-row.
Never had a problem.
I think people have an unrealistic idea of the dangers of being in a city are.
Old December 16, 2010, 02:16 AM   #41
raimius

Gas stations at night are a big one. I'd say any fringe area (to borrow the term) at night.

Every once in a while my senses will just go off. That probably concerns me the most. Something initiated a stress response, but I haven't IDed it.
Old December 16, 2010, 03:10 AM   #42
James H

From HotShot...

"If you can't understand in English what the folks / customers are saying, go immediately to your car and leave. Some spots in Amerika are a lot like dropping into some other-world country, many of which are unsafe for U.S. folks at least some of the time. Don't let any near-by persons know that you are CCW, until ..."

I'm curious about what you'd think of me speaking Spanish or some other language that you're too lazy to learn. I'm a corn-fed white boy from Wisconsin who has been hunting and been around guns for 25 years. Do you think I'm dangerous because I speak Spanish and I'm working on Italian and French? What hole do you live in? Christ...

Amerika? Why the weird spelling? Other-world country? I'm not sure what that means either. Man...I'm so glad I'm not living in fear like you seem to be. What do you have against foreign languages? Why does it make you nervous? I'm curious.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:44 AM   #43
alloy

Quote:
Section 8 housing projects
Funny now thinking about it....early 90's I got robbed up on a section 8 roof in ATL when a couple of guys walked around the corner near where the ladder was.
Quote:
Yo...throw down your wallet!
Cost me about 20 bux.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:44 AM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

That's it, we don't need implied racist rants.

Closed and some of you are getting a note from a mod.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Closed Thread