The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 14, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
BILLtheDJguy

Don't Own A Gun? That'll Be $500, Please! (VT)

Quote:
Recently State Rep. Fred Maslack from Vermont has come forward with a bill and although it may not make it into law; it's great fodder for thought. It’s also amusing as h*** when one considers the hue and cry the gun control folks will raise if/when it’s seriously considered.

Seems Maslack has done in-depth studies of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the State of Vermont’s Constitution and his conclusions have a lot of folks talking -- not only in Vermont but lots of other places. Maslack is obviously serious about his study as he recently proposed a bill in Vermont that would require "non-gun-owners" to register and pay a $500 fee to the State of Vermont for NOT owning a gun!

Read more here:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Dont-Own-A-G...-Be-500-Please
Old December 14, 2010, 11:47 PM   #2
rburch

interesting, doubt it'll go anywhere, but I'll be keeping my eyes on this to see what develops
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 15, 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
OcelotZ3

How is this different than requiring people to buy insurance (besides the cost)?

I'd say someone is probably being hypocritical...
Old December 15, 2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Rangefinder

I know absolutely nothing about Vermont constitution, I don't even pretend to on TV... BUT, if there's something in the original Vermont constitution about all able-bodies being capable of defending their home, family, state, etc if called upon to do so---as in original post-colonial/militia doctrine, then it would technically qualify to some degree. Just food for thought...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:31 AM   #5
kadima

erm.... in the higly civilised and pacific Switzerland, until a few years ago if a citizen didn't want to keep at home his/her service weapon after the compulsory military service had to pay a fee...

K.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Win_94

Quote:
How is this different than requiring people to buy insurance (besides the cost)?
Because according to the article, it falls in line with the Vermont Constitution.
Quote:
Vermont’s Constitution gets explicit: They give their citizens the right to carry concealed guns – without a permit – and describe that situation as "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State." It goes on – and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Therefore – Maslack says Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise" where force is necessary to protect the State of Vermont.
Old December 15, 2010, 07:24 AM   #7
alloy

I lived in ATL, Georgia when Kennesaw decided every household must have a gun. Don't remember a fine for non-compliance, I guess because they didn't want to do any registration to insure compliance.
Which would be my question here...how you going to know....or do all Vermont firearms owners register with the state?
Those wacky wing-nuts.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:58 AM   #8
ClayInTx

The Kennesaw Ordinance was a “tongue-in cheek” gesture in response to the Oak Park, Illinois, ordinance forbidding guns.

However,
The Fred Maslack bill news is about ten years old.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:03 AM   #9
KLRANGL

I don't have to pay anyone for being an atheist,
and I don't have to pay anyone if (for some hypothetical reason) I didn't want to own a firearm.

Quote:
Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
http://www.usconstitution.net/vtconst.html#Article16
Not sure how you get mandated firearm ownership from that...
Old December 15, 2010, 10:05 AM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent.
Reasoning bhind that, I would guess, is that those who will not, for religious or other reasons, participate in the "common defense", at least help shoulder the load financially.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old December 15, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

1. It's a drive-by. The OP should read the rules or tenure here will be time limited.

2. CLOSED.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Closed Thread