The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2010, 01:43 PM   #26
pichon

Quote:
I don't know how often safeties break in a self-defense situation, but I snapped one off of one of my 1911s putting it back together the other day. Stupid ambi safety abomination. I always hated it anyway, so it's gone and I replaced it with a simple safety as God and JMB himself hath decreed.

I can say that in force-on-force training it is not at all uncommon for shooters under stress to draw a gun with a safety lever and, despite being accomplished and experienced shooters, find that they are pressing a trigger that won't go bang because they neglected the safety.

I'm a caveman. I want one switch, and only one switch, to make the thing go bang. This is after a full evolution from Glock-->1911-->Glock as my EDC.
Quote:
Forgetting to put off the safety is the result of bad or no training. Blaming the weapon for an inability to use it is just ridiculous.

A thumb safety is there for a reason, in a tactical sense, in case of a disarm you will wish you had one when your own weapon is pointing at you. Dont think anyone is immune to a disarm.

That is one of the many reasons i love the Browning High Power. I keep the mag safety intact for that very reason.

I can see that in a general sense being a concern, however in this case it is a moot argument. There is no safety on the P-01, just a decocker. It simply drops the hammer to half-cock, and changes SA to DA. All you have to do in any situation with the P-01 is pull the trigger to go bang. The only difference is how hard you have to pull.
Old December 9, 2010, 02:22 PM   #27
redstategunnut

Roger that. Never had a CZ, learn something all the time if you listen.
Old December 9, 2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Amin Parker

I have a cz75 compact and a glock 19. The cz 75 compact does have a safety and can be carried cocked and locked.

What i said still holds true by the way
Old December 9, 2010, 05:09 PM   #29
Maturin

The steel-framed CZ 75 Compact has a safety. The alloy-framed P-01 and PCR have decocker, no safety-- so point, pull trigger -- no "flipper" to worry about. I have a PCR, with no problems in about 1000 rounds. The trigger isn't yet where I want it to be, but it fits my large hand quite well and pretty much points where I need it to.

The slide of a Glock seems much bulkier than that of the PCR, and the slide-in-frame feature on PCR/P-01 allows my grip to be higher up -- closer to the barrel. I had a Sig p6 before the PCR, and I definitely like the lower bore axis.
Old December 9, 2010, 06:11 PM   #30
Officer's Match

I like both the pistols in question here, but I'm not so sure the CZ has a lower bore axis than the Glock.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:08 PM   #31
deeczman

I have many CZ'and the P-01 is a great gun but i carry a Glock 19 i have a OD, rrtf2 and gen3 black so the G19 is i think one the best carry guns out there. I have large hands and the sub glocks get lost in my hands. You cannot go wrong just buy both.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:34 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Are the Glock 19 and the CZ-P01 too large for concealed carry?
Absolutely not. People can and do conceal larger guns all the time. Compared to what I grew up on, both of those are very small and light guns.

Stick with the one you shoot better, and the other factors will work out around that.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:58 PM   #33
Officer's Match

Bingo. ^
Old December 18, 2010, 08:01 PM   #34
DougNew

Good thoughts, all. Thanks!

I ended up going with the Glock, though I wouldn't be surprised if the CZ is my next purchase down the road. Both good models, and I favored the CZ at an emotional level, and that does matter. The CZ's .22 conversion kit seems a notch better, too.

But I like the Glock and was swayed by having a consistent trigger pull - easier for a rookie like me to learn than SA/DA - and the fact that it's common. If I decide to change sights on it, for instance, they'll be available; not necessarily so for the CZ. At a class last week, I needed another mag, and an instructor just handed me one, which he couldn't do if I had the P01.

Quote:
driving a 2010 Honda Civic just doesn't give me the same feeling as driving a 1965 Shelby Cobra or a (insert favorite sports car here).
The 'buying a car' analogy suited me in general. I took about six weeks to choose my pistol, trying a bunch at the range and reading about them. That's about what I'd do for a car, and that's not a knock against folks who make a snappy decision, but for me, it was best to digest.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I'm happy with the Glock, and I hope there's a P01/PCR in my future. It'll make a great second car.
Old December 18, 2010, 09:39 PM   #35
orionengnr

Quote:
Are the Glock 19 and the CZ-P01 too large for concealed carry?
That is up to you. A G23 was my first CCW, and I eventually traded it for a G19. Both are long gone. I could never get comfortable with carrying a double-stack-anything.
In the last seven years, I've been through at least 25-30 carry handguns.
YMM(and probably will)V.

Tags
ccw , cz-p01 , glock