The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2010, 06:36 PM   #1
70extreme

Anyone use only just pump shotguns?

I started twenty years ago shooting an 870 pump for hunting and home defense. Then, I decided I just had to have a semiauto Benelli M1S90 for hunting. Within the last couple years, I picked up an FNSLP Mark I for home defense.

Lately, I have been feeling the tug to get back to a more simple platform. I am half tempted just to sell the Benellis and FNs and go back to 870s.

Anyone go back to a pump gun and where you happy with the choice?
Old December 5, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
oneounceload

From a purely simplistic state, a double gun with double triggers is the ticket. My pump sits in a closet, as a back up for my handgun. For hunting and targets, I'll take my O/U's and SxS's every time
Old December 5, 2010, 06:56 PM   #3
seansean1444

my auto 12 guage jams some times. i always find my self happy with the single shot break actions. goes boom every time
Old December 5, 2010, 07:02 PM   #4
the rifleer

THe only shotgun own is a mossberg 500 pump. Would I like a nice benelli semi auto? absolutely, but I dont need it (nor can i afford it at the moment). They are nice, but do not make you any better of a shooter in my opinion.
Old December 5, 2010, 07:07 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In the household, we have my 500 Mossberg 20 gauge and an H&R 20 gauge.

If I had the cash, I would own a Mossberg auto loader.
Brent
Old December 5, 2010, 07:11 PM   #6
seansean1444

i also have a H&R 20 guage. mine is the pardner single shot and if your a good enough shot then its all you need. but back to pumps not singles ha
Old December 5, 2010, 08:24 PM   #7
silvercorvette

I have a few shotguns one is an 870 an unless I am real desperate for cash I won't sell any of them, in fact I just added one that should arrive at my FFL Tue or Wed. When I was younger I went through a divorce and had to sell some guns; that was decades ago and I still regret selling them (especially the Browning HI-Power)

Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge that belonged to my father
Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge that was my first shotgun but is too dangerous to use
S&W 12 gauge semi
TNN 12 gauge old style coach gun replica
Rem 12 870
Browning Twelvette Double Auto That I just bought because I always wanted one since I was a kid in the 1960s but couldn't afford back then.

Everyone needs more than one shotgun.
Old December 5, 2010, 08:31 PM   #8
.300 Weatherby Mag

I don't only use pumps, but I do shoot them a lot...
Old December 5, 2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Hog Buster

Been hunting with Ithaca 37’s for over 60 years. Shot and owned a bunch of others, but never found any better.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Miata Mike

No. Have and use single shot, over under, and semi autos also. My main go to deer hunting shot guns are pumps.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Bamashooter

yes, pump shotguns is all i have ever used. i grew up shooting a pump. truth be told i can shoot it better than some folks can shoot a semi auto. i do have a couple of single shots but they dont get used very much.
Old December 5, 2010, 11:02 PM   #12
DKA

Have pumps and some semi-automatics, and both have their places. Enjoy shooting my 870's, they go bang every time.
Old December 5, 2010, 11:25 PM   #13
shogan191

I''m a beginner at trap, skeet, and sporting clays. Not into home defense other than what I've always used. Anyway long story short I was at the skeet field today and watched a kid run double all the way through station 5 without a miss using a pump gun. He was shooting double only. Missed high 5 ran the rest without a miss. Went back and tried station 5 a few more times.

Found it interesting that he was that proficient with a pump.
Old December 6, 2010, 09:50 AM   #14
oneounceload

Quote:
I''m a beginner at trap, skeet, and sporting clays. Not into home defense other than what I've always used. Anyway long story short I was at the skeet field today and watched a kid run double all the way through station 5 without a miss using a pump gun. He was shooting double only. Missed high 5 ran the rest without a miss. Went back and tried station 5 a few more times.

There ARE exceptions to every rule, and there are always one or two who can work a pump like a wand on lay targets; however those folks are few and far between, as many have trouble keeping the gun on the flight line while working the pump - hence the fondness for semi's and O/U on the skeet and sporting clay fields
Old December 6, 2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Ludarue

I grew up using only pumps, but not too long ago I bought my first 1100. I like the shotgun and has never failed me in the field, but has had one issue of the bolt getting stuck trying to unload it.

I find it funny how over the years I went from an old Savage 37 12 ga. my dad gave me when I was younger to more advanced and "reputable" shotguns. But in the end I honestly can say I prefer that old 37.
“We don’t have centralized data-gathering to know what people are doing with these (concealed carry) licenses, but anecdotally, we know they’re doing quite a bit of harm." Kristen Rand, Violence Policy Center.
Old December 6, 2010, 11:43 AM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70extreme
Anyone use only just pump shotguns?
I'm just the opposite. After I sold my first shotgun, a Sears (High Standard) pump 40+ years ago, I've never looked back. Now I have SS break open, Semi-Auto, O/U, and O/-O/U models, but no pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan191
To a new shooter, watching Skeet Doubles can be impressive. Station 5 is the un-doing of many in Doubles, since it's the first pair where you take the low (right side) target first.

Yes, some shooters become quite proficient with pump action guns; but, on the target fields you'll find they are usually even more proficient with an auto or O/U. You'll seldom see a pump action gun used in serious competition where a quick second shot is required.

Quote:
Perhaps a pump is the only gun he has.
Old December 6, 2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Poodleshooter

My only shotgun is a Mossberg 500. I have three barrels for it (18" home defense, 24" rifled with sights, and a 28" barrel with screw chokes).
It's light, swings well with the 28" barrel,and I shoot it well. Every time I've shot a borrowed O/U or a semi-auto, I've either had trouble swinging it on targets, or found it to be heavier than it needed to be (11-87!) or oddly balanced for my taste. I use the Mossberg for everything: doves, geese and ducks, squirrels,grouse, deer,turkeys,etc. I occasionally shoot trap and SC with it. I even reload for it. I'll likely never own another shotgun,as this one does everything I need a shotgun to do.
Old December 6, 2010, 12:36 PM   #18
Bones

Don' mess with the man, who only owns, one gun....Because, he will most likely, knows how to use it

Last edited by Bones; December 7, 2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old December 6, 2010, 01:15 PM   #19
jokester_143

hogdogs,

I looked into that hot sauce challenge... Good luck with that. That 20 minute long video from RiceKiller was pretty entertaining...
Old December 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #20
BarkeyVA

I learned to wing shoot over 50 years ago with my dad's 20 ga. Ithaca model 37. I soon graduated to a marlin model 90 O/U with double triggers that I still have and still shoot very well. A 16 ga. Model 90DT is my favorite upland bird gun.

I do have a model 37 and an 870 that I use mostly for watewrfowl. The 870 cost $259 new and I won't feel so bad if I accidently drop it in the lake.

As for semi-autos, in the 1950's I saw Herb Parsons shoot 7 hand thrown clay targets before they hit the ground with his winchester model 12. A guy asked him why he didn't use a semi-auto. Herb replied, " Because I would have to wait for the semi-auto to cycle!"
Old December 6, 2010, 11:05 PM   #21
motorhead0922

Quote:
I am half tempted just to sell the Benellis and FNs and go back to 870s.
Dude! Don't ever get rid of a gun. You will always regret it.

That doesn't mean you don't buy more...
Old December 6, 2010, 11:23 PM   #22
jmortimer

I have always wanted an FN SLP which to me is the ne plus ultra of home defense. If you do go the 870 route check this Company out http://aiptactical.com/ I would get a "Police" grade but would not spend the $$$ for a Scattergun Technology 870.
Old December 6, 2010, 11:35 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah that challenge is wednesday... me and my 19 year old daughter are goin' head to head now...

Brent
Old December 7, 2010, 10:19 AM   #24
NightSleeper

I use pump guns for HD, semi-auto for hunting. These reason is, up here in Wisconsin, it's so dang cold during the season that I usually wear mittens. And I can't work a pump if my life depended upon it while wearing mittens.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:18 PM   #25
fnslpmark112

I have had an FNSLP for 6 months now. I have only shot it a few hundred rounds. But, it has been 100% reliable with everything I have fed it - buckshot to cheap birdshot. I hunt duck, quail, dove, and chukar with my M1S90. I can count on one hand the number of times it has malfunctioned over thousands of rounds.

All the self defense guys swear by the Remington 870 pump as the ultimate home defense gun. Just last weekend, I had a chance to duck hunt with a guy using an 870. He let me shoot it. Here are my observations:

1. The 870 kicks like a mule.
2. It is not even remotely as fast as my FN (or my Benelli M1S90 for that matter).
3. I heard him short shuck the gun twice during the hunt (click instead of a boom) during the cold, wet, sleep deprived frenzy that is duck hunting.

I guess I just don't get it. I don't see one single advantage of the 870 over a quality semiauto in the self defense world, hunting world, or 3 gun world.