The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1
ernierod

Brass or Aluminum Mold

Everything being equal-does a brass mold produce a better bullet-from a visual stand point-than an Aluminum mold??? Tnx
Old December 3, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Each will make a very good looking bullet it's just the casting technique involved with each set of mould blocks. The brass will hold heat better than the aluminum blocks and will take a little longer between pours. How much longer depends on the ambiant conditions at the time of casting. It all depends on the mould maker and the quality of the mould blocks.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Slamfire

I have not noticed, but are there brass molds?

Ray Rapine the mold maker makes his Minie ball molds from Aluminum. I talked to Ray, his production rate of Minie's is very high. When you are tossing 500 grains of hot lead pre bullet you are introducing a lot of heat. Ray's aluminum molds shed heat faster than steel molds that I have used. When you over heat a mold you have to wait for the thing to cool down.

My aluminum molds put an excellent surface finish on bullets as long as the mold is not too hot and there are no scratches in the mold.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:31 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
I have not noticed, but are there brass molds?
Yes, there sure are. They ARE special order, or group buys over at castboolits.com. They make some real nice looking bullets, and they can be made with hollow point pins of straight tapered HP's or the hex type. OR, a gas check in one cavity and a plain base in the next.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=97566

As for the finish on aluminum molds, it's how much time the mold maker puts into the final finish that will result in a smooth finish on the bullet.

Lee molds are cut with a lathe boring type of cavity. Most molds are cut using a "cherry" that looks somewhat like a wood router. The cherry looks just like what the bullet looks like, but with cutters. If just the cherry is used, it'll leave some cutter marks. Then the mold cavity must be carefully polished to make the bullet smooth.

Alum. molds treated with care, last a very long time. Most are made of 2024 aircraft aluminum. They will last as long as a brass mold. Any mold can be damaged by careless handling.

Nice thing about brass and alum, it doesn't rust! Steel and iron molds rust quickly after cooling down. Makes it imperative to keep them oiled to prevent rust.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Last edited by snuffy; December 5, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Hawg Haggen

You can't beat Lee molds. I've got several of them. Unless I need something Lee doesn't offer thats what I'm getting.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:56 PM   #6
chris in va

Lee molds aren't perfect. Bought three of them so far, and they all have the screw back out when the sprue plate is whacked open. Yes...I lube them before and during operation.

One had the corner round out, so the plate would slightly elevate above the mold, causing boolit bases to be 'flanged' or whatever it's called.

Wish I could afford the steel ones but holy cow they're 'spensive.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I once read an old article about the qualities of solid nickel for bullet moulds. Fine casting, but very expensive.