The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1
proxpilot

Sig P6 & P220 questions

1. P6, if you were holding this gun in your hand, what other Sig would you compare it too? would you say a p239 or p220?.. or neither.

2. P220! unfortunately i have yet to fire a 45ACP. and my gun range does not have a P220 for me to try out. How does the p220 shoot compared to say a Springfield XDsc in 40S&W. i hear that the .45 is a little less snappy than the .40. is this true?

3. if you had a choice between a used surplus p6 for $340, or a BN p220 Carry two tone, night sights, DAK. for $649. what would you go with??
Old December 8, 2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Ace_Breaker

I've owned several commercial P225's and they are a great handgun. The problem with a police trade in P6 is what date it is and does it have the new feedramp angle to handle JHP. I've been there and done that. Without the fix you'll be shooting ball ammo all day long if you want it to function right. Couldn't get through 2-3 rounds of JHP. P6 also have the heavy springs in them, unlike the commercial 225's. They can be changed out though. I've done trigger polish jobs on both models and changed out springs to make the single action really nice and the double action better. So, if you buy one it may need some fixes. I'd check the Sigforum. I know there had been other P6 issues out there.

P6 are very similar to the P220 in the grip area. It is nothing like my P239, which is thicker.

The 220 is a great handgun. It handles recoil very well. In my opinion the .45 is less snappy than .40. I've owned an XDSC .40 and it was a snappy little beast. I let a rangemaster and shooting buddy try it and they agreed. No fun to shoot and very hard on the hands. I dumped it. I've never had hand pain with any Sig. I would go with the 220. I do have a P239 SAS two tone with DAK trigger and really like it.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
ML41887

P220

Go with the P220. You will not be disappointed.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
FoxtrotRomeo

I agree .45 ACP is less snappy than .40 S&W. It doesn't make recoil recovery more difficult with a .40 though. The best way I can describe it is that the .40 has a felt recoil that is just a lil bit different than the .45

Having fired the P220, I like it and want to own one. I'd recommend a P220 to anyone who feels that after firing a 1911 that a 1911 is still not for them but they like the .45 ACP round.

P220s are also quite accurate. I fired a range rental P220 and even as a range pistol I could hit what I needed to.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old December 8, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
grumpa72

No experience with the P6 but, given a choice between 9mm carry and the P220 in .45 I would go with the latter every day. Just my opinion. I own the P220 and P226 - they both are the same size, shoot more accurately than I can but I do like the P220 better.
Old December 8, 2010, 06:26 PM   #6
proxpilot

good deal guy's, i guess i go the 220 route. i was checking one out at my LGS today. loved the way it felt in my hand. hopefully the ones for $649 are still in stock when i get the money
Old December 9, 2010, 01:43 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I have a Browning BDA .45, bought new in 1980. Its the Sig P220 (European), and while lots of other handguns have came and went, I still have that one.

Alloy frame, heel type mag release (ok, not the best for games) but dead nuts reliable and accurate. Can't see how a newer one would be any worse. MAybe even a bit better?
Old December 9, 2010, 01:49 AM   #8
chris in va

Quote:
if you had a choice between a used surplus p6 for $340, or a BN p220 Carry two tone, night sights, DAK. for $649. what would you go with??
4. Something else in 45. I didn't like my Sig 220, despite giving it 6 years.

Don't limit yourself to a couple guns. Go to the store, fondle all the 45's you can, rent a couple that float your boat.

It takes lots of practice to shoot the 220 accurately. I never got the hang of it.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:46 AM   #9
MLeake

My P220 was quite accurate, even better on the initial DA pull. Unbelievable DA trigger on the old W German gun.

I parted with it for three reasons:

1) slightly harder to conceal than a 1911;
2) I prefer SA or DAO for consistent pull for rapid fire (no transition in trigger modes);
and
3) a good friend really wanted the P220, so I knew it was going to a good home.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:03 AM   #10
AK103K

The P6 feels very much like a P228/229 in your hand. The P220 is a little larger, and wider, front to rear.

These days, with the cost of ammo, I'd go with the P6 for now, as 9mm is generally the cheapest, and .45 generally the most expensive. You'll get probably double or more the shooting in with the P6 for the same money.

Also, with the advances in ammo design, the difference in performance between the two is really nothing to worry about.

One thing with the P6's, they come with some possible issues. Some may or may not have troubles feeding hollow points. I had one that was supposed to, but never did, but I've seen posts from others that did. There is a cut off point (dont remember exactly right now), but the "newer" guns have a corrected feed ramp profile.

The DA trigger on the P6's is normally very heavy, especially when compared to the "commercial" SIG's. Its a fairly easy and cheap fix. It may not bother you at all, just be aware of it.

If your set on the SIG's, I'd suggest not rushing into things here and look around some more. The P226/229's are very good guns and offer more versatility, and 357SIG/.40 guns can swap calibers with a simple barrel change. You also get higher capacity from all of them, and in guns the same size as the P6/P220.

Ive owned all of them, and of all of them, preferred the P226 in 357SIG to all of the rest. It had the most comfortable grip of any of the above, and its slightly longer barrel made the most of the caliber. Size wise, SIG's really vary little, but they all do have a different "feel", so its worth getting the different models in your hand and see what feels best to you.

For me, "feel" wise, the P239 was my least favorite, the P250 the nicest.

The P250 is another choice that if youre money conscious may be the best bet yet for the money. They have been getting bad press of late, which I feel is undeserved, and they can be had for fairly cheap. I've never had a trouble with mine, and its a good shooter. Great trigger, and like I said, the nicest "feel" of any of the P Series SIG's.
Old December 22, 2010, 05:32 PM   #11
proxpilot

Quote:
It takes lots of practice to shoot the 220 accurately. I never got the hang of it.
Really? i just took it to the range for the first time and ate the whole center of the target out. i was impress that a gun of this caliber could be shot just as accurately as my 9mm 226. you might need to change your grip or something.
Old December 22, 2010, 05:48 PM   #12
fightingbard

SIGS are a hard subject for me and I have shot P220, 228, 226, 229 and 225 (p6). But since you only want to know about two of these, well...

First of all, P6 is nothing like the 220...
It is not an off-balance hangun. (229 is) It is a moderately balanced, comfortable to shoot, mediocre hangun. DA trigger pull is horrible though. I mean as horrible as a brand new Micro eagle. Those who tried both will sure know what I mean..

If you were asking about p220 vs p228, I would hesitate to side with either one, because those two are really one of a kind handguns. But a 220 vs P6, no...

I can honestly say that, p220 is the softest shooting, the most comfortable handgun, that I ever shot. (BHP is the second, and needless to say it is 9mm)
If at the moment this was my choice, and money was not an issue, I would definitely buy the 220.

All the best

Last edited by fightingbard; December 22, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old December 22, 2010, 06:29 PM   #13
proxpilot

already bought the 220
Old December 22, 2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Texcowboy

I have a P6 mfg 09/98 I purchased from Cheaper than Dirt for $429. The lot that CTD had were run back thru the SIG factory before resale. Mine has fed everything I have run thru it, is easy to carry and fits my hand well. It has some holster wear but the interior is very clean showing it had been carried a lot and shot seldom as is the case with most LEO turn ins. Mine also has different sights from a stock P6 that had either been installed by the Officer or at the SIG factory. it is more accurate than I am and is one of my CCW guns.

I had a couple of P220s years ago, no complaints there, one even had the european style mag release.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:38 PM   #15
rigby06

P6 vs 220

I have no experience with the P6, but I have owned a Sig 220 for 17 years, shoots great. when I shoot it I tend to drift up and down rather than side to side, since the sights are only a two dot, front and rear line up.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Skadoosh

Quote:
First of all, P6 is nothing like the 220...
It is not an off-balance hangun. (229 is) It is a moderately balanced, comfortable to shoot, mediocre hangun. DA trigger pull is horrible though. I mean as horrible as a brand new Micro eagle. Those who tried both will sure know what I mean..
I have ZERO idea what you mean. The police turn-in P6 I own has a sweet DA trigger pull...as good as my german made 226. While it is showing definite holster wear, my P6 is definitely not a mediocre gun. Heck, I wouldn't part with it for anything under $500. If I am not wearing a S&W Chief's Special, I am wearing my P6.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Skadoosh

...oh, and my P6, for which I paid a mere $350, is splendid to shoot and wonderfully accurate.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:13 PM   #18
AK103K

Quote:
It is not an off-balance hangun. (229 is)
I never found the P229 to be off ballance, but an unloaded P239 does give that impression. That all changes for the most part, when the gun is loaded though.

Quote:
The police turn-in P6 I own has a sweet DA trigger pull...as good as my german made 226.
Most P6's have a heavier DA trigger than you encounter in the commercial SIG's. I owned two of them and replaced the mainsprings on both to bring their DA triggers more into line with my other SIG's.

Its not that the P6's triggers are bad, they arent, they are just noticeably heavier to those who are more familiar with the commercial models.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:27 PM   #19
2cooltoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxpilot
already bought the 220
Good Choice!! Enjoy!! (pics would be nice...I'd like to see pics of the W. German P226, too)
Old December 22, 2010, 08:58 PM   #20
FALshootist

I really like my west german p220. Its accurate, its reliable and its weight seems similar to my commander (LW) I carried when I worked UC in the early 80s, however, the DA trigger pull is atrochious. My American P239 in 40 S&W has a much better DA trigger pull, is easier to conceal and is just as accurate. Over the years I've come to believe the heavy 40s are just a good a stopper/killer as the 45.

I'm not selling either, make you hoice on whats best for you.
Old December 23, 2010, 06:08 AM   #21
proxpilot

p220

p226