The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1
DiCarnage

Huh, WHAT!?

Okay, I just came across a Kimber polymer/stainless 1911, and to be quite honest, it felt blasphemous to me. Has anyone else out there seen or used this, and are there other companies making poly 1911's?

I'm interested in knowing how it runs, but I kinda feel weird and dirty for having touched it...
Old December 22, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Rugerismisticness

Kimber stopped producing it due to the unpopularness of the idea:barf: I never held one myself, but I never liked the looks behind the case.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
scottl

Bul out of Isreal made one.Wilson Combat makes one.
Old December 22, 2010, 11:00 PM   #4
alabaster

And yes, all are indeed gross.:barf:
Old December 23, 2010, 12:05 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

It's gonna happen... It's a big world. There's room for all varieties of guns. Purists can keep and use and even worship their all-metal 1911s if they want to... And practical lightweight-preferring modernists can buy and use alternate-material "1911-style" guns if they want to.
I say lighten up... John Moses Browning was a progressive modernist who kept up with the latest ideas and materials of his time... and invented and experimented during his whole life. He clearly was not a closed-minded design-conservative. Should we all still be watching silent movies?... or black-and-white TV's? Are talkies "bad"? Are color-TV's "bad"? They're all still around. You can watch any of them if you want to... and watch "talkies" and color TV if you want to... even on the same day.

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old December 23, 2010, 02:01 AM   #6
DiCarnage

Just cuz it CAN happen doesn't mean that makes it right or "good". Smell-o-vision happened, but how often do you encounter that?
I'm not opposed to polymer guns (I own a couple), but something about a fantastic plastic 1911 is just hinkey. The same way I'd feel about a fibre-glass Packard.
Old December 23, 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
lashlaroe

Quote:
... John Moses Browning was a progressive modernist who kept up with the latest ideas and materials of his time... and invented and experimented during his whole life. He clearly was not a closed-minded design-conservative...
+1

I own and shoot a Commander and it's one of my favorite pistols. However, I can't say that I would NEVER buy a partially polymer 1911 style pistol. I certainly appreciate that some people love the feel of steel and I do too, but if a reliable polymer-framed 1911 style .45 were to "make it" in the market and it had good balance and feel, I would consider a purchase. It would make daily carry more attractive to me for sure.

I think it's only a matter of time before the idea catches on...for SOME people anyway. I don't think anyone should feel violated by it happening, especially since I can't see the all-steel 1911 going away anytime in my lifetime.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8
HKFan9

STI makes 2011s with Polyframes I wouldn't mind having for run & gun games. Other than those.... stick with metal.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9
gb6491

I had a Kimber BP Ten II. I bought it used and never had any issues with it (even had the external extractor). The grip profile is similar to that of a single stack 1911 with normal grips. It was actually a pleasure to shoot. The guy that owns it now is very happy with it (seems to remind of that fact ever time I see him). I wouldn't mind owning another; plenty of room in my collection for tupperware and rust
Regards,
Greg
Old December 23, 2010, 02:36 PM   #10
jborushko

i am a 1911 advocate, and as a general rule not a polymer fan, but after getting my CZsp-01 Phantom, i really wouldnt mind seeing this polymer 1911 from kimber - though kimber and i have had our differences, if the barrel supports a integral ramp then id really be interested!

i believe it would be a good collector piece, if an oddity 1911. but i like that kinda oddball but still mainstream gun stuff with the little quirks

EDIT: though then after 5 seconds on google i find its a double stack... oh never mind on the i would like it. as i, personally, have never had luck with double stack .45acp anything!